Who feeds Lupins

samm

Gold Member
I feed all mine soaked lupins.With 19 horses to feed it works out reasonably economical.

Beauvelour

Correct me if im wrong but isnt lupinosis caused by feeding from the lupin stubble that has had rain on it, when in humid/warm weather?

Not the actual grain (fed from the bag/silo).

Not was i was told......its hard to explain *where are you smash* The race horse trainers down here feed it by the baucket load but there is always the risk of it doing something to your horses muscles and kidneys ( i think) there are 2 horses down here that got lupinosis very bad and never will be quite right. I know lots and lots of people have fed it for years and never had trouble but i would literally shoot myself it it happend to one of mine!

R

Remaani

Not was i was told......its hard to explain *where are you smash* The race horse trainers down here feed it by the baucket load but there is always the risk of it doing something to your horses muscles and kidneys ( i think) there are 2 horses down here that got lupinosis very bad and never will be quite right. I know lots and lots of people have fed it for years and never had trouble but i would literally shoot myself it it happend to one of mine!

I just rang my dad (farmer) to see if i was wrong lol & he said its the stubble thats the prob.
I've fed lupins for years & worked on studs that fed lupins & we've never had an issue. ;)

Plus i found these links. ;)

Home-Lupinosis in Livestock

Rain increases lupinosis risks - State News - Livestock - News - Stock Journal

Lupinosis | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Good reading Beauvelour, isnt google great! :)*

Last edited by a moderator:

RPS

I pay $15 per 40kg bag lasts me about 4 weeks feeding 3 horses with it twice a day. Works out really cheap at about 0.18c per day per horse:)*

Caroline

You are correct Remaani.**)

Lupinosis is a fungal condition only affecting lupin stubble after summer rains typically. Lupin grain is not affected by it.:D :))

wattle6180

Gold Member
I once had a Fimiston gelding that would walk perfect circles in his paddock when he was fed lupins - it was the most bizarre thing *#)

Lasix

I feed flaked lupins - ~$16 for a 25kg bag.

Beauvelour - what you are referring to is tying up (or equine rhabdomyolysis). It's associated with feeding too much grain (any type, not specifically lupins) and causes the horse to suffer muscle soreness, sweating and dark urine (this reflects muscle breakdown products which can cause damage to the kidneys).

Here's some more info:
Horses-'Tying-Up' in Horses

Caroline

This problem is created by feeding excess protein. Too much protein, especially in hard working horses, creates lots of gut heat from the protein digestion process. This also creates lots of ammonia which in turn puts the kidneys under heaps of strain to excrete the excess protein by-products, and creates that dark, strong smelling (like ammonia) urine.#(

Excessive energy loading without the work to burn the energy off will create muscle soreness and potentially tying up. Lupins are still very high in energy from the fat, protein and fibre content.

Even though lupins contain no starch, the fats, proteins and fermentable carbohydrate fibre content (up to 15%!) are still converted to energy, and will create problems if fed in excess of requirements!:}

1kg daily (dry weight) is tops for any horse! Lupins are typically 28% CP!:D :))

Last edited:

Beauvelour

ok thats kool thanks everyone....(i still wont feed them) but thats my personal choice As i said every man and his dog feed them down here and its great that they are relatively cheap. :D
(I wasnt talking about tying up.....i just know that it did something to the horses muscles cant remember what.....blonde moment)

Last edited:

Lokenzo

Gold Member
I am currently feeding them to my horse along with flaked barley to get the weight on him (and its working). I pay about $18 per 25kg bag for them flaked. The fatty ponies only get Coolmax tho, no lupins for them!

Tintara

I have just started feeding flaked lupins again to the 2 old boys (33 & 35+ respectively) and I soak them with their pellets because I don't think they would have a full set of teeth left between them :)*. Am paying just under $18 for a 25kg bag from the local store but I only go through about a kg a day so lasts a good while.

Boo's Eclipse - I think I read somewhere recently that the biggest % of Australia's lupins are grown in WA which would be why they're cheaper over here. Makes a nice change ..... :)

Kyara

I sometimes give my horse, crushed Lupins. they used to get whole lupins (they were soaked tho) but the herd doesnt get them anymore.

Last edited:

sparkie

i did feed lupins and quite a load of them soaked of course as i was told that they are a more sustainable energy for the horse and doesnt wear out as quick as oates do. well i feed them religously for a few months and i found no real satisfying difference. all i found was that my horses were more lazy and lathargic, no difference weight gain either. i have found the best thing at the moment is wheaten hay roll after roll just let him eat till he full and a lick block i also get cartrofen injections every 6 12 months which cover the whole cartlige stuff, the horse i got now is a TB 12yo and i have had him about 2 years now and i tried everything under the sun including oates barley, muesli, lucerne gum nuts etc and the best so far has been simple cheap hay and lick blocks it is great i dont need to pay nothing so far with all the grass in the paddock and free 2 year old wheaten rolls of hay and he is the fatest and happiest he has ever been.

ptr1710

Lupins are very good for horses only thing you need to watch is their protein content. A feeding rate of 1.5kg Per Day is recommended anything above that amount could cause some issues. They are very low in starch ( Less than 1% ) and safe for EMS IR Horses.
There is also a company in Australia now making Lupin Pellets that are High in Fibre.

Top Bottom