Who feeds Lupins

Boo's Eclipse

So just wondering who else feeds lupins? Whole or flaked? How much & how do you prepare them?

I do, when they are available here...

deschuur

Gold Member
I feed lupins:) I feed flaked lupins and just put them in their feed, no soaking lol I am a tad lazy:p Depending on the horse and other feeds I am feeding, currently feeding an average of 500g lupins per horse a day:)

Talullah

I feed flaked lupins, don't have to be soaked, stockfeeders sell them.

He gets about a quarter of a scoop twice a day.

wattle6180

Gold Member
I've noticed a large increase in the lupin content of our Horse Muesli - are lupins cheaper? I was thinking they must be as the manufacturer has changed the ratios.

They're flaked btw

Boo's Eclipse

What is the difference between feeding whole & flaked, except for soaking & not soaking. I have always fed them flaked, but my stockfeeder has said that they are more willing to stock whole lupins as they have a better shelf life???

cobbie

Gold Member
He used to be fed them, was fed the whole lupins soaked, but then I moved agistment. Was wanting to add them to his diet again keep meaning to go the stock feeder as need to get other stuff too. What is the general price and how long would it last one horse?

R

Remaani

I feed whole lupins (that i soak in hot water), i pay $12 a bag.

I always have at least 2 bags of flaked lupins in my feed shed for those times im lazy or forget to soak the whole lupins. :D

simbin

Gold Member
Have fed them when my horses are on full board agistment I think they are quite cheap. I know a bag of whole lupins to be soaked lasts ages.

deschuur

Gold Member
I buy flaked lupins at around $18 a bag, I think lol I keep getting the barley and lupins price mixed up, which lasts me nearly two weeks.

P

PPH

$24 bag and feed them whole, soaked. very economical, 1 scoop doubles in size. Horses love them.

alexander

I feed them whole, soaked overnight, but only in the winter. My horses get too fat if I feed them in the summer!

T

Taylorc

We feed cracked lupins, 150g twice a day in the hard feed. High in fibre & protein, low in starch... low in cost **)

I like to soak them for 10 mins while mixing up the feeds although many people don't bother, and I don't think you 'have to'. Not sure if it makes any difference in the digestibility, but I do it anyway and add any excess water as feed dampener. (Whole lupins have to be soaked for hours & hours of course).
Being a source of energy, some horses react differently. There's a TB here who could handle double that amount of lupins... where as my old TB's 'cut off' was 200g max per day. We're also using lupins as part of an over all weight lifter diet for one TB, and it certainly seems to be making a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

deschuur

Gold Member
Three TB mares and a yearling:) I am feeding the lupins in conjunction with flaked barley for one of the mares and All Phase Complete feed for the other two and a the yearling.

R

Remaani

I won't feed lupins in fear of "lupinosis"

Correct me if im wrong but isnt lupinosis caused by feeding from the lupin stubble that has had rain on it, when in humid/warm weather?

Not the actual grain (fed from the bag/silo).

Top Bottom