Which Oil

kiraSpark

Gold Member
It is very inexpensive to grow and harvest. Insects won't eat it.

What!!!!!!!!
Have you ever seen a truck load of Canola being delivered from a farm? I have. Its my job. It is CRAWLING with insects. THICK with them. They love Canola.

The reason its potentially cancerous is that Canola is sprayed with A LOT of pesticides and chemicals, and it is one pulse grain that actually aborbs these into the seed, instead of the leaves and or roots. I work for CBH and have seen the reports. Its not the canola seed itself, its the application of chemicals which it then absorbs and sends to the seed thats the problem.

And if you keep Googling you will see it IS genetically modified to be for human consumption. Its called Canadian Oil Low Acid for a reason, to be fit for human consumption :confused:

Last edited:

Tempo

there are 100's of pages debunking the myths surrounding canola oil. it is PERFECTLY safe for horse AND human consumption.
Please see the following link and there and 100's more out there from every country

Canola Council of Canada - Canola Oil FAQ

And from the Mayo Clinic......

"Health concerns about canola oil that are being circulated on the Internet are unfounded.

Misinformation about the safety of canola oil may stem from the fact that, years ago, oil was produced from the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels — 30 percent to 60 percent — of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. The canola plant was developed by natural cross-breeding from the rapeseed plant in the early 1970s. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants.

Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), canola oil contains erucic acid levels in the range of 0.3 percent to 1.2 percent. This is well below the 2 percent limit set by the FDA.

Canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat. So, it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils."

Tempo

CHOICE - Dispelling canola oil myths

this is by far the most concise information I found.... done by Choice Australia, so unbiased.

As it says down the bottom though, check with the manufacturers if you have concerns about genetic modification **)

Last edited:
R

Remaani

Anyway...............................

I use Energy Gold as well. :)

Stattik

we learn something new everyday :)
Hrmmm so maybe I can start cooking with the canola oil thats been sitting in my pantry for weeks after my OH bought it.

another note, that energy gold is fantastic for horses.

Cheeki

Gold Member
That was the first I've heard about cancer linked to canola oil, interesting to read, thanks for the information, and clearing it up (was a bit iffy seeing as dad has canola oil upstairs lol)

I've seen great results from Canola, and plan on feeding Honey some as well (it's on the list).

mittens

there is a special oil you can perchase at your local stockfeeds horseland ect ive never tryed it but it looks good! i usually just by whats cheepest at the shops! and also sunflower seeds but i heard sunflower seeds make them a little hot??:D the oil from the stockfeeds is alot more pricey but if it works then so be it!:)* mabye give it a try .. but i cant place a bet on it as i havent used it**)

Pjsarabs

Back on page 1.... SIL has offered THE best advice for anyone feeding oil. It goes RANCID very QUICKLY. Buy small amounts and NEVER leave it sitting in a hot tack shed/feed shed.

I have learnt over 15 yrs of feeding oil, that the best one is usually the one that is on special in the supermarket. Although I do occaisionally feed flaxseed, and sometimes canola. I dont touch oilseed meals (including cottonseed), this is where the greatest percentage of chemical buildup ends up. Most importantly... oil does have a shelf life! Keep it in a cool, dark spot. Preferably in the fridge.

As for cancer... well thats a whole other thread... every week we hear an 'expert' declare that 'this or that' is bad and a week later, it can be the latest and greatest medical discovery for fixing everything. Go figure.

Top Bottom