Which Oil

proud_equestrian

Which oil (added to balanced diet) have people found given the best results?

I have tried a few... being ones off supermarket shelf etc etc but I do question their palatability and nutritional value.

I am wanting to add oil to my mares feed for all the normal reasons, digestible energy, shine, help with weight etc etc but am after opinions of what one is better. I am not too concerned on price... most expensive isn't ALWAYS best- but if I need to spend more I will.

Thanks everyone! :)

Tempo

I've always found Canola has given me the best results, coat sheen and general overall health. 1 cup per feed, twice daily.
I always get this right off the supermarket shelf :)*

pso

Gold Member
I use canola...buy in a 20l drum from stockfeeders....

If I could afford it, I'd use mitavite performa oil (or whatever its called...the yellow drum!):p

sil

Gold Member
All oils have the same amount of kilojoules and they are all highly digestible, so it just comes down to your choice.

Feeding too much causes problems becuase the horse won't eat it - Imagine if someone poured a cup of lard over your breakfast cereal!

The other thing is that most oils will go rancid in the heat so more stable ones are the go - olive oil is the most stable but also the most expensive.

For what it's worth I go for canola when I feed oil and no more than a cup a day.

proud_equestrian

Thanks, PSO!!! (never heard of Kohnke's...)

All oils have the same amount of kilojoules and they are all highly digestible, so it just comes down to your choice.

Feeding too much causes problems becuase the horse won't eat it - Imagine if someone poured a cup of lard over your breakfast cereal!

The other thing is that most oils will go rancid in the heat so more stable ones are the go - olive oil is the most stable but also the most expensive.
^^^ Thanks Sil... yeah I have wondered about the palatability...:confused: my mare is generally ok with it... but I use half a cup per feed... feeding twice daily too. Is Olive Oil good to feed??? Haven't heard of someone feeding it to horses... but I am guessing it can't be all that bad considering we eat it and it is a vegetable...???

sil

Gold Member
Thanks, PSO!!! (never heard of Kohnke's...)

^^^ Thanks Sil... yeah I have wondered about the palatability...:confused: my mare is generally ok with it... but I use half a cup per feed... feeding twice daily too. Is Olive Oil good to feed??? Haven't heard of someone feeding it to horses... but I am guessing it can't be all that bad considering we eat it and it is a vegetable...???

Olive oil is probably the best to feed in terms of quality but it is 2-3x the cost of other oils, so it makes better sense to feed a cheaper one like canola.

Elanda

Gold Member
When I feed oil I like to use Rice Bran Oil. Hygain make a really good one...or just from the supermarket:) It is nice and high in Omega essential fatty acids:)*

PINTO1980

Gold Member
I have just started Chloe & Zayn on Energy Gold..

Chloe is 10yrs this yr and Zayn is nearly 4months(he only gets a dribble)

Stattik

I feed a cup of vege oil a day. Canola oil gives you cancer...though everything these days gives you cancer. Either way I feed veg oil and my horse looks a treat when hes on it.

ChillOut

I feed a cup of vege oil a day. Canola oil gives you cancer...though everything these days gives you cancer. Either way I feed veg oil and my horse looks a treat when hes on it.

why would Canola oil give you cancer? :confused:

Dollar

I use to feed Energy Gold, then tried the cheaper version of Canola oil and haven't really found a difference between them.

My sister has just bought me a drum of the Hygain RBO Oil to try so will let you know if I notice any difference with it.

And I have never heard of Canola Oil causing Cancer, would be interested to know where that came from.

myst

Started our horses on Mitavite Peformer oil and the gelding is great but our young mare went feral, wasn't sure what was going on at first but she was irritated and resisting when ridden, very unlike her. Took her off the oil and a week later back to her lovely calm self. Spoke to someone elso whos mare did the same thing and yet her gelding was okay. can't say what happened but perhaps it affected the hormones and as our boy has none he is doing fine, lots of energy and a lovely coat. Used to have them on Canola oil and that was okay.:))

JustJam

Would there be any benefit to giving say a half a cup of oil just once or twice a week? (just curious)

Jumping Bean

I have never heard of canola oil being carcinogenic (no more than any other oil, especially if heated, cooled and then re-heated again - cold pressed is best) but it is linked (in humans) to macular degeneration. My sister's very close friend is suffering with MD atm and is almost completely blind in the space of a few months, it is extremely sad for her, and she is only in her early 40's.

I personally prefer to feed oil meals and seeds rather than actual oils.

Stattik

Ok I googled canola oil and cancer.
Heres what I got.
Its genetically engineered rapeseed. Rapeseed is a lubricating oil used by small industry. It has never been meant for human consumption.
It has been shown to cause lung cancer. It is very inexpensive to grow and harvest. Insects won't eat it. Some typical and possible side effects include loss of vision, disruption of the central nervous system, respiratory illness, anemia, constipation, increased incidence of heart disease and cancer, low birth weights in infants and irritability.

Thats all I got so far. But theres heaps of info if you google it.

Top Bottom