wheat stubble for horse

samm

Yes as the wheat heads with the grain have been removed,but be careful of them sustaining eye injuries grazing horses on stubble.

Caroline

Hey Croft! How are you doing mate?@)

Yes wheat stubble is fine for horses, but it contains minimal nutritional goodness. Purely roughage. :)*

With this damn rain though, it may well reshoot and offer some green pick. May have to feed some hay out every now and then.**)

Fly veils are a good preventative measure against eye injuries from sharp stubble.:D :))

R

Remaani

:D

Croft, my horses spell on over 800 acres of wheat stubble every year & do very well of it.

The only bad thing is, you cant catch the buggers to worm them, hehehe!!!!

See:

new_28thmarch3.jpg

new_28thmarch1.jpg

new_28thmarch.jpg

new_28thmarch2.jpg

croft

Hi caroline @) They will def have fly veils on and still get there good feeds.

Thanks Remaani, i have been offered to put some of mine on 300 acres of wheat stubble after they have harvested, but wanted to make sure it was ok for them**)

R

Remaani

Thanks Remaani, i have been offered to put some of mine on 300 acres of wheat stubble after they have harvested, but wanted to make sure it was ok for them**)

Perfect, they'll love it! :)*

Arnie

Gold Member
Mine will be going on 1000 acres of it but have a feeling they'll get too fat too fast and got to go back into their normal paddock which is full of feed anyway :p.

Caroline

Croft, we may just try to catch up with you over the weekend!**)

Ky needs some horsey time out from her teaching prac! Will contact you anyway later in the week via email mate.:D :))

Rumpleseed

L
Is it alright to let horses eat wheat stubble?:)
I put my horse out on a 29 acre wheat stubble paddock, was still a fair bit of heads on the ground from the tracks of the header. He had 2 episodes of choke and swollen fetlocks and after a visit to the vet they found he had stage 4 ulcers in both guts. The stubble caused abrasions in his oesophagus not to mention the grazing around his muzzle. Its just been cropped but the sheep are going out there for a couple of weeks to clean it up. Don't particularly want another $5.5k vet bill . Be careful with wheat stubble.