Tumeric

PetaBizz

I have been advised that tumeric would be a fantastic additive to my horses feed. Is anyone using tumeric, how much are you feeding and what benefits have you seen? Thanks in advance :)

nklpark

I'm trying it on a chestnut to make him darker, no result yet after 4weeks, i was told it was a no no for palominos unless you liked the smutty look :D a friend tried it on her pale pally who never smutted on any other feeds but ended up with lots of smuts spots

PetaBizz

My pally doesnt have the smut gene so thinking I may give it a go?? Plus he is extremely itchy with lumps and bumps so might help that as well. Who stocks it in bulk?

Z

ZaZa

I'll be interested to see everyone's results - if there are any LOL :p
I have a chestnut I was thinking of trying it on but first I wanted to see if I could find any info on the long term effects of feeding it. ';'

K85

PetaBizz try an indian food shop, there are a couple around the Osborne Park area if your stockfeeders don't have it. I buy my paprika from there and I can usually get it in a 5kg bag and is much cheaper than the supermarkets.

celestialdancer

Gold Member
LOL
Maybe I should give it to my weanling for his memory? He's constantly doing stupid stuff, I swear he should have learnt by now :p

banjo

how much would you feed am interested in the anti flam side of it for the oldies who are on devils claw at the moment. cheers

Caroline

Tumeric is high in anti-oxidants, and does have mild anti-inflammtory properties. However, you would have to feed lots of it to a horse to see any real benefits, and then palatability and cost become issues. :unsure:

The best anti-inflammatory for oldies is Pentosan. :)*

Feeding Devils Claw anything more than short term causes gastric ulcers so do be careful.

Cheeki

Gold Member
Caroline - do you know of any long-term side effects, or risks in general with feeding tumeric? :)

Top Bottom