Tainted Photographics is no longer.

Reigate

Photographers go through patches of not bringing in any or much money......

MOST of us start out doing it for the love of it..... quite a number of us continue doing it for the love of it.....

Heck, we drove 8 hours, camped in a stable for two nights and drove the 8 hours home again to take photos at the SA Arabs Championships..... we were the "Official Photographer" for the weekend, however there were at least 3 other photographers who just showed up and muscled in on the grounds - they were not allowed in the ring though.

I am at the point where I cant walk much at all - I struggle from the car at the edge of the arena to my chair at the side of the arena - and change positions according to the sun and whats going on where that I need to be photographing.

I struggle to get out into the centre to photograph the champions.... but I still manage to do it.

Talkingshell, as she has said is deaf - and has the problem of people understanding her and while she is a bloomin brilliant lip reader - its very difficult when people dont look at her directly when speaking to her. As TS said, I had no problem understanding her - I guess thats only because I 'know' her so well via MSN and email - we are on the same wavelength when it comes to conversations and I can easily pick up on her syntax and the way her words come out :)

You have your hearing, you have your voice as TS said, and Im pretty sure you dont have the physical limitations I have to deal with..... so you are in a better spot than either TS or myself to begin with.....

Dont give up is what I am trying to say..... definitely get yourself a website - mine is Winged Horse Productions - Design, Photography, Pencil Portraits - its not that expensive - hosting is only about $13 Aus a month, and the Mr Site that I have used for my online proofs is about $110 a year..... Alternatively, use showphotos.com.au | Horse Show and Event Photos which is where I have a stack of my proofs up on as well - it will only cost you 20% of your income of your photos - all you have to do is upload the big file of the image and the website will change the image to the format that the client wants to purchase it in, and then you will get your money at the end of the month..... its easy!!!! And not a lot of work for you really!

Photography, especially in this digital age, costs you not a lot more than your time and a little wear and tear on your camera....

I got 75 000 photos out of my Canon EOS 400D before I had to have it serviced and a small repair done - costing us about $460......... a small price to pay when you consider how many photos it took!!!! Its now up over 115 000 photos..... so in about 30 000 more photos, I will send it in for another service.

As much as I would like to make more, I actually make bugger all out of my photography....... Im too soft, and give people really good discounts for lots of photos..... BUT - that leads on to other things..... they buy the photos, then decide they want two or three edited together for a present for someone, or they want a website done, or an ad for Horse Deals or some other magazine....... or a brochure designed.... etc..... It all snowballs.

Sometimes its months before people actually order photos from an event.... on occasion it can be years!!

Just go to what you can afford to go to, and ENJOY it, dont put pressure on yourself to say you HAVE to sell so many $$ worth of photos - just do it for yourself and if you sell some - then great, if not, you have had a great day out.

The SA Arabs Championships - I am yet to break even with our fuel, food and general costs for the weekend..... but hey, had a great time, met great people, got invited back to do the Main Event for them and they were happy with the job.... will also be seeing images in print in a magazine soon!!!

Just have fun and use it as an outlet for your frustrations..... if it ends up paying - its a bonus :)

skiddlez

Gold Member
Yeah problem is wawa, im lazy :p i did have one with webs but i just so didnt have the time to get all those photos up... maybe ill try and get off my lazy arse and so something.

Bethy

Gold Member
Yeah problem is wawa, im lazy :p i did have one with webs but i just so didnt have the time to get all those photos up... maybe ill try and get off my lazy arse and so something.

Sorry SVA but if you're lazy then you're just not going to succeed... to run your own business you can't be lazy. There is no one that will make you go to shows and then get the photo's on your website so that people can buy them and therefore you can make some dollars.

If you want to do it as a fun hobby then that's a great idea and you should do that.

If you're motivated and determined then run it as a business.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lexie

then you have no one to blame but your self.
dont complain about not earning money and then say your lazy. *shakes head*

Ditto.
Dont be lazy then sulk when it doesn't go your way....no wonder it dosn't, cause you dont do anything!

shadowkat

Hey Wawa, thanks for that link - because of you last night I set up a website for my petsitting. Woot! Now trying to fill it in and look like a professional and whatnot - and work out how to make it come up on google searches - but I've gone from "wanting a website" to "having a website" in one day! You are a legend **)

W

wawa85

Hey Wawa, thanks for that link - because of you last night I set up a website for my petsitting. Woot! Now trying to fill it in and look like a professional and whatnot - and work out how to make it come up on google searches - but I've gone from "wanting a website" to "having a website" in one day! You are a legend **)

No problem SK, I couldn't believe how easy it was to create my website and it is really easy to go back an edit or adds things. I did web design in high school too many years ago and had forgotten how to go about getting a domain name and all that jazz so freewebs really was an easy alternative to designing it all myself **)

Top Bottom