Stock/swinging fender saddle recommendations/reviews?

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster! Sorry if I'm placing this in the wrong area!

I have a rather unpredictable Thoroughbred gelding, goes along nicely for months (years even), and then starts bucking again. As he is 16hh, and I'm 5 foot nothing and 55kg, these bucks are rather enthusiastic on his behalf and can be pretty powerful! I'm getting too old to be dealing with his antics in an all purpose saddle, so looking to purchase a stock/swinging fender to ensure some added security.

He's a rather tricky one to fit, typical TB, high withered, hollowed behind the shoulder and basically always seems to be lacking in top line. Looking for recommendations on something that will hopefully suit him, as well as being comfortable for me. After a previous fall from a different horse, my buttocks isn't quite as tough as it used to be.

We have a James Saddlery stock here, that offers enough wither clearance but it's SO hard and uncomfortable for me, and I also feel the overall spinal channel is quite narrow. I also feel it places me in a"chair position" with my legs further forward than I'd like, making the rising trot a challenge (I wonder if this is an issue with a lot of stock saddles?). We've also got a cheap stock that I use at the moment, but doesn't add enough wither clearance for me to be happy long term.

I am hoping to borrow a friend's Wintec Pro stock. Anyone have any experience with these? I was reading that the Wintec Pro fender might put you in a better position? Would these offer much wither and spinal clearance?

I understand these are all hard questions to answer without seeing the horse etc, but I'd love others opinions on what they've found comfortable and secure. Thanks :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
welcome Thoroughbred-to-Brumby,

I personally would be trying to find a good "all round" english saddle that does the job which is comfortable for both you and your horse. It wouldn't hurt to have a professional saddle fitter take a look as well just to give you some peace of mind. (y)

cheers...admin

welcome Thoroughbred-to-Brumby,

I personally would be trying to find a good "all round" english saddle that does the job which is comfortable for both you and your horse. It wouldn't hurt to have a professional saddle fitter take a look as well just to give you some peace of mind. (y)

cheers...admin
Thanks, definitely not keen on an english saddle, I really do need something that provides extra security that an English saddle simply can’t offer

PlumpRump

You are correct that most stock saddles will place you in an arm chair position. It does help sit those bucks out though ;)

I am hoping to borrow a friend's Wintec Pro stock. Anyone have any experience with these? I was reading that the Wintec Pro fender might put you in a better position? Would these offer much wither and spinal clearance?
I find the wintecs quite comfy, VERY secure and most have a changeable gullet. Although, after a few years the wear is evident on a wintec saddle. Some can become hard in the seat, but with your weight it is unlikely to become an issue during the life of this horse.

Personally, if I was to go for a synthetic swinging fender, I would choose an Ammo. I rode in one for trail riding for many years and it could suit what you describe as hollow. They are an easy type to pad up if needed, no long skirt. These are cheap enough that you could upgrade down the line if you find it unsuitable long term. I found the ammo to put me in a more traditional (dressage type) position than stock saddles. It was secure enough to sit out some major sillies, even with quite long stirrups and felt like a closer contact to the horse than the wintecs do (some feel "perched" on top, the ammo seemed to have a longer, flatter seat). They retail around $800 new.

Hope this helps, goodluck on finding something to work for you!

Top Bottom