Seaweed meal

Tanya5374

Hi, just wondering if many people add this to hard feeds for vitamin and mineral supplements? If so what results did you see, how long and how much were you feeding to get the results?

Thanks

Caroline

Seaweed meal is terribly imbalanced and very high in iodine. You would have to feed a large amount to even meet the horses daily mineral needs and then the horse would be dead from iodine toxicity! #(

Thats why commercial vit/min mixes are better and safer. They have been designed for horses and are minerally balanced. Cell-Vital is probably the best around! :)*

needanswers

According to Victoria Ferguson (Complete Horse Herbal), seaweed meal or kelp is a source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, boron, cobalt and iodine.

Seaweed is a rich source of vit B12, it contains 7 of 10 essential amino acids and four non essential amino acids.

There is approx 700mg iodine per kg of seaweed meal, feeding rate is 15 grams daily for thoroughbreds and 5 grams for ponies. The toxic level of iodine in horses is 40-50mg per day for synthetic iodine (however seaweed is an organic source).

Tanya5374

Thanks both of you for the info. I have emailed the supplier who sells their seaweed meal through my local produce store to ask for the iodine levels to see if this is something I want to look into. Will wait and see what info comes back from them.

I have heard both good and bad things about this so am wanting to get all details before I decide. One thing that I keep thinking about is that a lot of Asian people are rather healthy from all the seaweed they eat, if nothing else I might look at adding it as a regular item in my diet.

Tanya5374

I heard back today that the iodine levels in this seaweed meal is 1000 parts per million. Now I am trying to google this to get an equivalent mg measurement - proving to be a bit difficult.

Needanswers, how much of each supp are you feeding and what breeds do you have?

manocaaron

Potassium Iodide is toxic in excess (its an Inorganic form of Iodine) Iodine in Seaweed meal/kelp is organic and safer to use.

The signs for an animal suffering excess AND deficiency of Iodine are the same- in mild forms a dandruff, in severe forms a swollen goitre.

It should be noted that overfeeding of legumes (lucerne/clovers/lupins/soya) also cause an iodine deficiency.

Remember that pretty much all Australian soils ARE iodine deficient- meaning what grows in them is also iodine deficient, so what type of iodine gets added to commercial feed mixes to lift this iodine balance?

I feel much safer adding kelp to all my horses feeds and they do well on it :)

manocaaron

Yuk, Id rather not feed them Sodium Chloride in the form of Iodised Salt-

Its a pretty toxic imitation of the real thing and attributes to the following conditions in people....
Muscle Cramps, Heart Disease, Circulatory System Strain, Stroke, Arthritis
Gallbladder/ Kidney Stones, Cellulite, Rheumatism, PMS, Digestion Problems.

Natural Rock Salt is better as is Natural Sea Salt. I do not buy table salt or any form of iodised salts.

needanswers

I have a 17hh TB and a mini but I will give you the ratios to feed for a range of horses based on Vic Ferguson's guidelines:

Rosehips - daily dosage
Mini - 5 grams
sml pony - 10 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 15 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 20 grams
TBs - 30 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 35 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 40 grams
Double the dosage if trauma is experienced.

Garlic - daily dosage
Mini - 4.5 grams
sml pony - 6.5 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 9 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 13 grams
TBs - 20 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 23 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 26 grams
Double the dosage if infection is present.

Seaweed- daily dosage
Mini - 2.5 grams
sml pony - 5 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 7 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 10 grams
TBs - 15 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 17.5 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 20 grams
As Manocaaron says our soils are deficient in iodine. Organic is best rather than synthetic.

Yeast- daily dosage
Mini - 4.5 grams
sml pony - 7.5 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 10.5 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 15 grams
TBs - 22.5 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 26 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 30 grams
Only use good quality yeast as brewer's yeast has insufficient chromium and vit B levels.

Limestone/dolomite- daily dosage
Mini - 2.5 grams
sml pony - 5 grams
TBs - 15 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 17.5 grams

old_mate

really? there is not much diff between table salt and rock salt anyway ?
Down at the beach my old horse would eat seaweed, but then he would eat rubber boots and plastic brushes with the same amount of enjoyment.

Tanya5374

LOL Oldmate - rubber boots? Sounds like the horse was part puppy dog.
Needanswers, thanks very much for putting up the measurements, is a big help as I have 2 TB's both almost 17h and a 11.2 welsh.
Caroline I appreciate your input as well - can see your point re iodised salt but I must admit I like the fact that the seaweed meal has vits and mins as well.

:)

TorahBear

Seaweed iodine boost

I only use it for iodine supplementation if diet needs it. My boy has a healthy shining coat and no problems but haventbtried removing it from his diet as a test ;)

michelle123

I have a 17hh TB and a mini but I will give you the ratios to feed for a range of horses based on Vic Ferguson's guidelines:

Rosehips - daily dosage
Mini - 5 grams
sml pony - 10 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 15 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 20 grams
TBs - 30 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 35 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 40 grams
Double the dosage if trauma is experienced.

Garlic - daily dosage
Mini - 4.5 grams
sml pony - 6.5 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 9 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 13 grams
TBs - 20 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 23 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 26 grams
Double the dosage if infection is present.

Seaweed- daily dosage
Mini - 2.5 grams
sml pony - 5 grams
TBs - 15 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 17.5 grams
As Manocaaron says our soils are deficient in iodine. Organic is best rather than synthetic.

Yeast- daily dosage
Mini - 4.5 grams
sml pony - 7.5 grams
lge pony/sml galloway - 10.5 grams
ASH/QH/X breed/sml hacks - 15 grams
TBs - 22.5 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 26 grams
Lge WBs/Heavy Weight/high performance - 30 grams
Only use good quality yeast as brewer's yeast has insufficient chromium and vit B levels.

Limestone/dolomite- daily dosage
Mini - 2.5 grams
sml pony - 5 grams
TBs - 15 grams
Lge TBs/WBs - 17.5 grams
Hi There,

I was just wondering if you still are using the Victoria Ferguson Guidelines for your equines? I was reading that she recommends French White Millet, linseed, wheatgerm etc. Do you use these also? TIA šŸ˜Š

Top Bottom