Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Hi cara,
    Where are you located?

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

IMO the isobelles are quite wide through the twist, but very comfortable through the seat and panels are lovely on the horse.

If you are near North Dandalup, I could let you try mine out.

3. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

I have an isabel wintec and love love love it... Soo comfy and purs me in a good position.

Also wanted to add i bought a trainers jump saddle recently and it is the mist comfy jump saddle i have ever ridden in also is great for my position too

4. Thekwie

Thekwie New Member

Hi NaeNae,
    Im on the sunshine coast, queensland, I regularly travel to south of brissie to see my family.

:( sounds like the twist is on the wider side, at least in some of the older saddles (ie the ones I can afford). Just hve to keep saving for the Maestoso I guess....

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Looking for reviews on the Riviera Black Jack dressage saddle. Good or bads stories welcome, Thanks.

6. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Glad I found this sticky..

I have a wintec isabelle- only purchased last year. For me it's so easy to fit to an ever changing TB with a high wither. Had it on my last horse and no issues but found he didnt need as much leg.

Now it's on my new horse who is a bit wider in the back but still has a TB wither and needs lots of leg and I am in serious pain in it! I cant get my leg on correctly and if I do then getting alot of hip pain from it. I have to put my stirrups up to combat this and it just isnt working so will have to get another.

So my question is, good saddles for the taller rider 5'9 with long femurs and not a wide twist as I have limited movement in my hips to suit a horse with a wide ish back and a medium sized wither that needs alot of leg and seat! oh and on a budget..

Too much to ask? :p

7. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Leon have a look at the munich saddle by ascot sold at Europa...i looooovvveee mine and used to ride in the isabelle so can compair fairly! Its less wide with less knee blocks but a lovely comfy seat and i have the double grain leather so really sticky too. Mine fit my wide tb like a glove.

8. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

Leon... I used a Kieffer Genf on my old TB who sounded the same as your boy... wide back and high wither. My friend now has it (only because it no longer fits my fatty Friesian X) and she is tall with bad hips and this is the only one that doesn't hurt her as it has a narrow twist. It also feels very secure which is nice too!

9. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Thanks guys, I actually had a Keiffer Genf before the Isabelle but it no longer fitted my horse well enough, I sold it on and then my horse passed away.

I have just purchased a KN Melodie (second hand) after a few rides in it and so far I like it. Will need to get a saddle fitter out to double check it fits my horse well enough but it looks pretty good to me. Isabelle is on the market and hopefully this new saddle works out over the next few months!

10. jm3838

jm3838 New Member

Awesome thread.
    Be interesting to see others feedback!

11. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

I'm presently riding in a G Fieldhouse cutback turnout saddle. It's English made, an older saddle, and I like it well enough... my filly works nicely in it... but it isn't a perfect fit for either of us.

I'm looking at a County Competitor, also older, which I'm completely in love with. It fits my filly like it was made for her, and while it's a touch on the little side for me, I'm completely in love. My girl works incredibly in it. Unfortunately with vet bills to pay it's down to the friend who owns it as to whether she can/is willing to wait for me to have money.

12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Haha Leon, I have just bought a KN Melodie too, and I am loving it!:)* Great minds think alike aye?

13. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

Does anyone know where I can find out the weights of saddles?
    I have read some good reviews in here (thankyou all!) but as I have a lower back issue, I can't lift a heavy saddle onto my horse. I tried a Riviera and fell in luuurve with how comfy it was, but the weight of it just killed me :(

14. Shandeh

Okay. On the hunt a-bloody-gain, because non-changeable saddles are no good for young horses. Sigh.

Cheap [or available cheap second hand] saddles for the straight-backed Thoroughbred with a medium-looking but high wither? [this makes no sense I know, it doesn't LOOK high but my saddle has a decent amount of clearance and it's not enough!]

Easy-change gullet is a must and her wither is likely only going to get higher [it has done from a month ago and believe it or not her muscling/topline is better than ever!] so I need something with a LOT of wither clearance!

The saddle I've been riding her in is a cheap ripoff of the Wintec Isabell but though that has some pretty good wither clearance AND has been built up as high as the panels will allow, it just refuses to fit. Because I don't want to add extra padding underneath as well, I need something that will fit her properly.

I'm looking at Stylelines at the moment.

Wanting leather, black, and dressage. But I'll look at synthetic if I can't find leather in my price range.

15. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

Hi Shandeh, the tree shape is what is the most important. Your horse sounds like she needs a tree with a cut back head. Anything built on Kieffer's classic tree would be perfect, as long as the panels do not narrow and pinch. Also Bates' Maestro was designed to imitate Kieffer's genius tree. Also Something such as a Trainer's Jessica or Trainer's Baron. The Trainers master series does not have the full cut back head of the older models. :)

16. Shandeh

Thanks TM :) The Jessica won't fit her, way too curved through the tree [my Isabell knockoff is a tad more curved than I would like and was originally bought for a Standy with a back so straight it was like a ruler!], but if the Styleline doesn't fit I'll have a look at Kieffers and such.

Oh to have all the money in the world.

I also may be looking at a Bates Caprilli but I'm not sure how that'll go for tree shape and the one I'm looking at isn't easy-change which is really what I'm after with her because I don't want to have to buy a new saddle in a month. She has just turned 3 so she will be changing shape for at least another 3 years.

Edit; I do have a cutback saddle, an old G. Fieldhouse, but it doesn't fit her :/ wrong size gullet. Too narrow at the top and then too wide lower down! She's a wee bit slab sided so the Bates/Wintec system/panel shape works well for her but finding something that doesn't sit on her withers is a mission.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  17. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Looks like you just answered your own question. Bates dressage with easy change gullet and easy fit system for shimming inside the panel. Get someone like Lou Collins the goddess to fit it (or an alternative saddle if it fits better), watch you ride in it, and show you how and when to change the gullet and shims as needed. They are popular so it should be easy to find one second hand too, if money is tight, or you have the Wintec synthetic option. Saddle fit dramas over.

18. Shandeh

Except they're not. The saddle she's in now is padded up at the front as high as the panel will allow and is STILL sitting on her withers. Granted it's not a genuine Wintec/Bates saddle but it's the SAME system.

Plus the only Bates dressage saddle I've ridden in that I actually like is the Innova, and only the older style [or the pre-easy-change Caprilli, but that won't fit her, too banana-shaped in the tree]. I'm very fussy.

Currently looking at a Bates Maestro [IF she'll negotiate on price and IF I can ride in it before I buy, it's only a 17 inch and I normally ride in a 17.5], a Kieffer Wien and the Styleline dressage. I really like the Kieffer to look at, but haven't ridden in it and haven't seen it on her back. The Styleline looks nice too but not AS nice... but is easy-change so if the Kieffer doesn't fit...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  19. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

On the hunt for a new dressage saddle. Has any body tried the Prestige Optimax or Prestige Verona? What are your likes and dislikes of these saddles?

20. Shandeh

At this stage I'm buying the Kieffer! :D And the lovely Stockie who's selling it has offered me a lesson on her dressage schoolmaster if I can convince Mum to take me to Perth to pick it up. So keen!