Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Looking for an eventing jump saddle and so far like the Passier eventing saddle & the Ascot Barocca Jump. Anyone have either of these? Pros & cons of them please? I've sat in them in the shop but haven't ridden in either.

I've ridden in a Prestige Michel Robert & Prestige DX but didn't really like them.

My horse has uneven shoulders so the saddle needs to be flocked and adjustable.

I'm open to suggestons and would prefer medium to large knee blocks at the front.

2. megsy101

megsy101 New Member

i recently bought a styleline. Lovely soft saddle but the saddle flaps are far too long for my little legs :( so have to find a pony dressage saddle

3. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a second-hand dressage saddle to fit a normalish-shaped TB. I want something fairly minimal in structure - not all the rolls and blocks and whatever these new-fangled saddles seem to have!
    I rode in a Bates Caprilli growing up, and am looking for old dressage versions of this, but would love some suggestions! Preferably paying no more than $500.

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I got a decent condition Kieffer Munchen about 7 months ago for $500 :) I think my horse is a normalish fit :p

So that might suit you :) (Mine isn't for sale, but there might still be more around)

5. Anna E

Anna E Guest

The Kieffers, or the Trainers saddles are both "minimalist" SK

6. katelol

katelol Guest

Shadowkat, I've got an old fashioned Passier in good condition. Might be the sort of thing you want?

I'll pm you the details, but its fit every tb I've tried it on :))

I recently bought an Icon for my purebred Arab :)* its a lovely little saddle and seems to suit both of us really well.

I checked in this review before I bought it and the few times the Icon is mentioned its all good :p

I find its got the good points of the modern saddles without going to extremes in the knee blocks or the bucket seat and puts you in an excellent position. And it fits my wide shouldered Arab really well without blocking her shoulders or sitting too far back on her short little back **)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  7. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Ok lads and ladies I need your help. I am buying my old Part Arabian mare back and while she has an old bunky Wintec AP I can ride her in for now I wll need to look at getting a newer saddle for her. She is a bit of a saddle fitting nightmare having the round hips and belly of her Australian Pony blood and narrow shoulders. Most saddle will eventually end up over her whither and shoulders after about 15 minutes of riding although a anti slip pad does help a bit. Any suggestions on AP and Dressage saddles that might help? We are both shorties she's 13.3hh and I'm 5'3 with short legs so saddles with longer panels won't do.

Thanks in advance :)

8. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Would a pony saddle work, WaWa? I ask because there are MANY ponies that exact shape so one would expect there's a saddle out there designed to solve the problem.

If not, there's always a crupper...

9. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

That's a good suggestion SJK4E do they come in 17" size? I've got a big bum you see :p will have a look around and see what I can find.
    As to the crupper I'm not sure this would be a good option she has always been sensitive around her hind legs and dock area as a result of an injury earlier in life.

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Unfortunately most pony saddles only go up to 16 inches maximum.

I am on the look out for a new dressage saddle now as well... or at least I will be when the tax cheque arrives LOL.

I need a saddle suitable for wide galloways which seems hard to find. I only want to pay a maximum of $2500 (less preferred LOL) but am obviously happy for second hand. Oh and I would prefer a brown saddle...

Any suggestions?

Are the people who bought the new Bates Dressage still happy with it after a longer period of riding?

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

happy that you wont be using a crupper:) Most ponies cant carry a 17", no matter how big or otherwise riders bum is ;) Have you tried a 17"on ...just for length? I would tend towards an older 16", like a county, stubben tristan etc. They have a flatter seat and there fore more room while still staying small enough for the pony:)*

12. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Thanks for the suggestion J :) when she's at my agistment will try out a few different saddles. Have done some research and there are a few things that can be done.
    1. Saddle fitter makes the tree of the saddle narrower at the front and wider at the back. (costly and may not work)
    2. Front riser pad and anti slip pad (or both in same pad) to build up under front of saddle may prevent slipping.
    3. Pressure eaze girth and additional girth straps (using 3 points W girthing system as opposed to the Y or U system) should stop slipping.

Am taking a saddle in to Nagmart this week so will have a look at their pressure girths and front risers. I've already got an anti slip pad.

13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

Can someone tell me why near new tekna saddles seem to always be for sale? Is there a problem with them?

14. crave

crave Well-known Member

Hey Blitzen, its probably because they are bloody uncomfortable, but they are cheap :)
    Does anyone haveor has ridden in a Peter Horobin Amazone dressage saddle??? Ive got my eye on a brown one and just wanted a bit of feedback. Apparantley made for women? and do suit wider horses ( so thats 2 out of 2 ).
    Can any saddle fitter adjust them?
    Cheers :)

15. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Does anyone have experience with trainers event pro saddles?

16. samgard

samgard New Member

I have an older Trainers Jump Saddle (with the squared cantle) and absolutely love it. Was a great fit, very comfortable and great value for money.

17. ShowjumpKid4Eva

I've just bought a Stubben Romanus RC close contact dressage saddle. It's second hand and older [the newest Romanus are about 10 years old, and I haven't got a clue when mine was made], probably Swiss made. The condition it is in amazes me considering it could be anywhere from 10 to 30 years old. The leather is lovely and smooth, and while it has faded a little [the black parts have some greyish spots] there are no cracks, only a few tiny surface scratches, and I cannot discern wear marks from the stirrups.

Haven't ridden in it yet because I haven't had an opportunity to so much as put it on my horse's back but I am hopeful. It looks like it should fit him reasonably well, and with the panel shape it should stay fitting him reasonably well long-term. IF it's wide enough... I'm pretty sure it is, but like I said I haven't had it on his back yet.

The only thing wrong with it is age-related, and that's the panels... they are rock hard and a little lumpy. I'm going to have it re-flocked as soon as I can get a saddle fitter out.

I have read somewhere that Stubbens can have a very hard seat but I happen not to mind that so much. Anything that allows me a little bit of freedom and offers me a little bit of support is a good thing in my book.

Not sure how I'm going to go with the transition from sticky grippy full suede to slippery smooth leather though!

edit; I stuck it on his back today... it fits like a glove. Teeny bit high in front but other than that perfect. Rode in it and I'm in love. Hard seat, yes, but like I said I don't mind that. The twist is kind of wide for me but I'm well and truly used to a narrow twist so I figure I will adjust. I did find it a little slippery but adjusted quickly. The balance of it wants to put me in a little bit of a chair seat, but I still found it easier to hold a good position in than my old saddle. I can't wait to see how it feels when I've had a saddle fitter re-flock it and balance it just so!

Sweat patches are absolutely spot on perfect with no pressure points [dry spots] but I'm still having it fitted just to balance it properly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  18. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

I looked at an older stubben a while ago- it didn't fit my horse but I was told by my saddle fitter, it was highly likely a foam in the panels and couldn't be re flocked- or very hard to anyway.

Good luck.

19. ShowjumpKid4Eva

I don't expect it to be easy to re-flock, but this one doesn't feel like foam IMO. I do have a saddle with foam panels to compare it to, and they don't feel the same. My new one feels kind of like my old one that the saddle fitter over-stuffed [flocked] but packed even denser.

20. Thekwie

Thekwie New Member

I apopolgise if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but I don't have time to trawl through 54 pages of posts!
    I am a petite 5 foot nothing riding a high withered OTT TB, who started out with a shark fin, but is rapidly muscling up into a very nice uphill dressage horse.
    I am searching for a saddle to fit us both.
    Currently, I love the stubben maestoso. The narrowness of the twist and close contact feeling allow me to ride at the longest and stretchiest I have ever achieved. The contour seems to fit my boy well, if his even sweat patches and sudden back lifting are any indication. I'm having a bit of trouble finding one I can afford though!
    I am wondering how the bates Isabelle compares? I have read posts about how well these saddles fit the TB's, my concern is that I can't find one to try, and I want to know what the twist is like for us little people! The prices secondhand seem very reasonable for a lovely looking saddle.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cara

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013