Question about sweet chaff (oat husks)????

D

Deb2

I forgot to add that both horses are look decidedly brighter, but still a good show of sand coming through, especially with Ziggy.

Both happily eating their dinner (more sweet bulk, I'm determined to clean that blasted sand out)

I'm happy to keep the updates going, that is if some still want them....or are you all a bit over my theory by now?**)

mochaminx

Hiya Ziggy!! it must be something in the "oakford.oldbury" air that has us horse owners here running around checking our horses poo like possessed crazies lol. I regularly check all my horses, tho i do it when OH not home, as of all the horsey things he sees me do that one disgusts him the most LOL.

Im loving the sweetchaff too, Ive been told if you buy it direct from the manufacturer (phone number on the bag) in bulk loads its a bit cheaper... as we live so close, would you be interested in going in with me if I were to order a bulk lot of say 20 bags or so?? I will ring them first, and see if its true, but just thought it might be a way we can both save a bit of money :)*

D

Deb2

Hiya Ziggy!! it must be something in the "oakford.oldbury" air that has us horse owners here running around checking our horses poo like possessed crazies lol. I regularly check all my horses, tho i do it when OH not home, as of all the horsey things he sees me do that one disgusts him the most LOL.

Im loving the sweetchaff too, Ive been told if you buy it direct from the manufacturer (phone number on the bag) in bulk loads its a bit cheaper... as we live so close, would you be interested in going in with me if I were to order a bulk lot of say 20 bags or so?? I will ring them first, and see if its true, but just thought it might be a way we can both save a bit of money :)*

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only poo checker. What a relief!!

Good idea about the bulk order, and I'd love for you to check out the price, but could you talk to me prior to placing the order as my house has sold, so I'll need to make sure I will have somewhere to put it, mind you if your only talking 10 bags, that would be no biggy.

I'm looking forward to getting down to the horses and having a good scratch through their poos this morning.....hasn't this been interesting to discover how much sand the SC has shifted, even from Chester who was drenched three weeks ago?

casperjesse

I have not seen this sweet chaff. Would like to try it as well as I have pony's and sweet bulk has too high a sugar content.
Yes, Where i keep my horse we check poo's. Got 8 of them drenched as a precaution too. Sand is an evil substance for horses/pony's. We just had 2 go down with sand colic. One nearly didn't pull throu but he is on the road to recovery after one and a half weeks of wait and see(If you know what I mean)

Shakhaan

$15 for a 35kg bag. If they deliver to the stockfeeds here in Perth from Wagin, I'm sure they would deliver to margs, em?

Way cheaper than chaff.... without all the suger from molasses coating... perfect for fatties ;)

ChevalNoire

Sweetbulk and sweet chaff

Thanks Ziggyz, I didn't realise but it sounds like something I need to find out more about because sweetbulk is way too fattening for my little puddin' of an arab; whereas it suits my thoroughbred who looks like a coat hanger regardless of what I feed her.

I'll check it out **)

ChevalNoire means black horse in french. It's the name I use on the net after my black arab mare but black arab in french was much too complicated so ChevalNoire does the job nicely.

*#)

ChevalNoire (nice name, what does it mean?)

Sweet chaff and sweet bulk are two different products.

Sweet bulk is as you know coated in molasses. Sweet chaff is not. It is just oat husks, with, I suspect a fine coating of oil to stop the dust factor. It has no feed value, just the shifting sand value. May be benefitial for fatties, as it would give them something to eat without the calories. I have not tested this theory yet, as I'm still in the process of testing the sand shifting theory.

D

Deb2

Well, great news!

Chesters poos and demeaner is back to normal, and Ziggy is greatly improved. Ziggy's poos are not quite formed, like they usually are, but heaps better, and bum not yucky....yay!

Both looking happier.**)

buggalugs

ChevalNoire (nice name, what does it mean?)

Sweet chaff and sweet bulk are two different products.

Sweet bulk is as you know coated in molasses. Sweet chaff is not. It is just oat husks, with, I suspect a fine coating of oil to stop the dust factor. It has no feed value, just the shifting sand value. May be benefitial for fatties, as it would give them something to eat without the calories. I have not tested this theory yet, as I'm still in the process of testing the sand shifting theory.

Oat husks DO have a feed value - it is similar to chaff... therefor relatively safe to use BUT just keep it in mind... especially when using programs like FeedXL (not sure if they accomodate husks...) ;)

tiamo

Would anyone have the details of the producer of the sweet chaff? I do use sweet bulk and really like it, but my horses sooo do not need molasses! I have rung my feed people and they dont really know anything about it, so could someone PM me if it is not allowed to be posted.

I have a real sand problem and have had two horses that have had colic (one with a very bad outcome) and oil religously and use the milk/cream/honey mix as well. I would love to try this product as well, it seems perfect especially as it has no molasses so I would be more inclined to use a lot of it. My horses are walking hoovers so pick up sand all the time, and although they get heaps of hay, this year, for some reason, it has been extra bad.

I am very paranoid now, so I am willing to try anything that might help and was really interested in reading all your posts, thanxs!!

D

Deb2

I just get it from Budget stockfeeders on Peters way, just off Nicholson road, Oakford. I pay $15.00 for a 30-35kilo bag. **) It gets the thumbs up from me!

Cowgirl Kid

use the milk/cream/honey mix as well.

I have tried this with my boys.. two refused to touch it! How did you get yours to take it?? I've heard of some people drenching with it, however not too keen on doing this... others have wetted down feeds with it (I've been relatively unseccessfull doing it this way).

Ren

for those of you with sand problems there is a new product out "Equilax' that is a apple flavoured psyllium pellet that im going to try with boys next week

D

Deb2

Just as a follow-up....all back to normal now. I have been amazed at how much sand passed through in total.

I am very impressed with the sweet chaff and will certainly continue feeding it everyday as a preventative. I have replaced my chaff with sweet chaff, and I think you would be hard pressed to find a sand shifter as cheap as this!

The horses redily eat it, compared with phsyillum husks that I believe some are fussy with, and its just so cheap!

I think anyone who wants to give it a try, needs to bear in mind that (in my case) the sand only started shifting after I increased the quantity that I was feeding to the equivilent of about two icecream containers per day.

The other thing to remember is that whenever sand is shifting the horse may get quite sick. This would be the same if you drenched, used phsyillium husks, pumpkins or sweet chaff to shift out the sand.

When my horses got sick, I accually increased the sweet chaff, because I could visually see the cups of sand in their poos. After about four or five days the passing of sand settled and the poos started to form again properly.

The horses looked a bit off colour, but not pained to the point where I felt they needed pain medication.

They continued to eat and drink well.

I will continue with the SC as a preventative from now on, and I'll inform all if there are any adverse side effects.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the results.**)

Andeana

Shifting sand

Very happy for you that your horses are much improved. Mucky manure and sand colic can be such a stressor both both horses and their humans.

My horse came from a severely drought affected area (literally not a blade of grass or weed on the ground) and had previously spent several years in a very sandy, desert like area before I got her. That "checking the poo" and intermittent scouring regime went on for well over a year for me. Difficult to know if part of her problem was also to do with finally getting some decent/different food to eat (she was waif like when she first arrived). Fed lots of good quality hay,then gradually added an oaten chaff, pellet, lucerne feed with a vitamin/mineral supplement. Any slight change to her feed or paddock location (with variations of weed/herbs in the grass) seemed to set off another bout of scouring (but no colic symptoms). Each time she came good I though "good" but then a week or two latter she would have a mucky tail again. Finally moved to include sweet bulk to "shift sand" which seemed to help for a few weeks but then she scoured again. Wanting to improve her whole gut function, I fed a probiotic powder which seemed to have magical powers; the scouring stopped immediately. Through all the trial and error of trying to solve the "mucky tail problem" my horse was never off her feed or showed any colic symptoms.

But knowing where she had come from, I was sure she must have a lot of sand in her gut. After her manure quality stabilised, I programmed a course of feeding physillium husks (kept feeding the probiotic), slowly increasing dosage over several days after which she displayed "mopey", comfort seeking behaviours. The first signs of possible colic she'd shown since I'd acquired her. I'm sure the physillium was moving the sand through but causing much discomfort. I called the vet immediately and had her tube drenched and medicated. I think giving a painkiller when the sand is passing through is probably a good idea.

Since then my mare has been fine, manure beautifully formed and she has bloomed in condition. Fortuneatly, a couple of months after the "slight colic" I was able to move her to irrigated grass paddock agistment and all is going well. We still feed sweetbulk as a preventative (and it hold onto any powdered supplements fed) and also have physillium husks and slippery elm powder on hand to feed if any of the horses show signs of scouring or colic. My horse, despite being in a poor condition when I got her was never "a hoover" and there was always hay left at the end of each of her days; she would not eat the "leftovers" and we endeavoured to feed the hay out of tubs/bins because she was initially in a "sandy paddock" location. She would pull the new hay out onto the "mat" of old hay and eat from off the top of that. It's very difficult to keep horses "sand free" in WA I think. In the eastern states, when I would mention "sand colic" people would just look at me and ask "what's that?".

Court Eagle

Ive just started feeding mine sweet chaff for a bit of bulk in the diet. The new place has no pasture so ive upped the hardfeeds and feeding hay x3 daily. I first started off with a couple handfuls, but now they are getting 2 parts oaten chaff to one part sweet chaff.
Ive been told the husks are sprayed with soya oil....what makes them look so shiney haha. Horses love it and its very cheap, costs $14 a chaff sized bag at the stockfeeds:)

Celestial Park

Hi all,
Sweet chaff is oat husks coated in A VEG OIL and you should be able to get it from you Allstock stock feeders.
I have spoken with the rep about this product and it is produced in Wagin and brought up to Perth.
I have more details about it at work and I will see if I can find it and let you know some more.

Court Eagle

Hi all,
Sweet chaff is oat husks coated in A VEG OIL and you should be able to get it from you Allstock stock feeders.
I have spoken with the rep about this product and it is produced in Wagin and brought up to Perth.
I have more details about it at work and I will see if I can find it and let you know some more.

cheers for that CP**)

tiamo

sweetchaff

I have just finished my first bag of sweet chaff and I am really happy with it so far. I have trouble with sand where I am and my horses are in large yards with no access to pasture at the moment (that is a whole other problem, lol!!) I have had two bouts of colic this year which I have never had before so I really needed something to shift the sand on a daily basis. I didnt have any problems with my horses being "off", mainly as they had been oiled a week before I started using so probably didnt have a lot of sand still in there, but I know previously they would have a good couple of teaspoons of sand per two "poo scones", which is quite a lot! I have been using the amount that Ziggyz suggested, which is still very economical considering how cheap the product is.

I think the sweet chaff keeps the sand from settling in the gut, keeps it moving through and thus solves the problem of it compacting. I am having trouble getting the sweet chaff through my stockfeeder though, so may have to go to the manufacturer direct. Otherwise I will go back to washing the molasses off the sweetbulk(they get quite lamanitic with sweet feeds), which is a real chore when feeding multiple horses....the things we do!!!

Double Helix

Help!

OK, I have read this thread with interest and would like to try the sweet chaff. I have tried two stockfeeders in the Hills area and niether of them have it. One was going to look into it (I said Wagin, he thought it might be the same place that suplpy sweet bulk?) but the other one didn't seem interested (just a flat out NO we don't have it).

I have never had a problem with sand colic (not a lot of sand at my place) but have just had a horse come back from lease with sand colic (he has since been oil drenched). I would now like to put both of my horses on sweet chaff.

I have tried the Equilax on my other horse (the one which wasn't drenched) and just wondered how people check the poo for sand? I picked up a couple of nuggets in a plastic freezer bag and added some water and then felt for sand... I didn't detect any sand coming through for the week he was on the Equilax. So either there was no sand 9this is a good thing), or the equilax isn't doing it's job, or I am doing it wrong :)

Top Bottom