Pinto/Roan/Dilute Standardbreds?

banjo

stb mare i used to own..lemmy

Lemy.jpg

Z

ZaZa

The reason i would spend the $$$ not that i should in anyway have to justify doing it but would be i want a purebred not a partbred for purely my own purposes, the ones that occassionally come up for sale in australia are nearly always way overpriced. I just dont get peoples attitude to always putting down the breed. #(#(

Settle.
Where was it written that anyone was putting down the breed ? :confused:
Please point it out coz I guess I must've missed it.

If fact, most of the people who have posted in this thread either own, or have bred a to/from a standy at some point.
Citygirl's suggestion was a good one IMO.
You didn't state in your first post that you wanted a purebred standy and seeing as you did say it would be for showing and not racing, Citygirl was just suggesting a viable alternative. (and cheaper :) ) You could still have the pinto stb but it would be a part bred. Still registerable and showable (not that that's a word).
Personally I prefer them kept pure but that's just me. Not everyone thinks the same though.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseychic

I am corrected if i am wrong but the way i read it I was being asked was why would spend $$$ when i could use a stallion here and get a partbred which is not what i am after as i prefer purebreds as there is some beautiful partbreds out there but not my choice.

I was not having a go at anyone in particular i was voicing my opinion which after all we are allowed to have. :) And i will leave it at that.

I just get peeved with the stigma that gets attached to the breed when it is not justified at all.

Gaia

Gold Member
That would be Gaia's wonderful purdy boy Ash.

Awww, thanks Nannygoat! :)

I have 2 pure pinto SB geldings. I wouldn't cross to get a colour either. Quite frankly, I am baffled by ppl's fasination with the Pinto (or any unusual colour for that matter) SB. They are just the same as any other coloured horse of whatever breed. I sorta fell into having 2.

Couple of pics

Ash
PICT0042.jpg

Ashdressage11.jpg

Fat guts aka Gigs
PICT0057-1.jpg

PICT0075-2.jpg

citygirl

Gold Member
Settle.
Where was it written that anyone was putting down the breed ? :confused:
Please point it out coz I guess I must've missed it.

If fact, most of the people who have posted in this thread either own, or have bred a to/from a standy at some point.
Citygirl's suggestion was a good one IMO.
You didn't state in your first post that you wanted a purebred standy and seeing as you did say it would be for showing and not racing, Citygirl was just suggesting a viable alternative. (and cheaper :) ) You could still have the pinto stb but it would be a part bred. Still registerable and showable (not that that's a word).
Personally I prefer them kept pure but that's just me. Not everyone thinks the same though.

thanks ZaZa **)

:}
I'm really baffled that someone would JUMP to defense straight away.. you too Gaia ';' I have never 'knocked' the breed..I've never knocked any Breed at that..I just asked why you would go out of W.A to breed something :confused: when you didnt state in your post you where after a PURE Bred.
I'm a very FIRM believer we have great horses here in W.A !

Sorry I asked a simple question..thanks for answering it Kylie.;)

Cheers
Lee

Gaia

Gold Member
thanks ZaZa **)

:}
I'm really baffled that someone would JUMP to defense straight away.. you too Gaia ';' I have never 'knocked' the breed..I've never knocked any Breed at that..I just asked why you would go out of W.A to breed something :confused: when you didnt state in your post you where after a PURE Bred.
I'm a very FIRM believer we have great horses here in W.A !

Sorry I asked a simple question..thanks for answering it Kylie.;)

Cheers
Lee

My post had nothing to do with yours Citygirl :confused: I should have said that I wouldn't be keen on crossing the BREED, not so much all about the colour, but the gaiting problems would worry me a little. Not saying I would NEVER cross, but I would just be really careful about it. I am always just baffled that ppl are so interested in the SB pintos cause to me its the same as having a pinto of any breed. I recently advertised Gigs for a companion home as he has too many problems under saddle and soreness issues. You should have seen the response I got!! Probably only 2 ppl took notice that I said he was not to be ridden. Ppl went mad! I had ppl BEGGING me to let them have a go at riding him and sorting out his issues. I didn't respond to half of them and decided he can just sit here with me.

Anyway, my post had nothing to do with your CG, it was more just an observation on how ppl react to colour. If Gigs was a plain bay, there wouldn't be too many ppl that would still say they like him, cause he would just look like a SB! :)

Last edited:

Gaia

Gold Member
I've been trying to add to my post, but it wont let me, so I'll put it here.

I didn't think you were putting the breed down at all either otherwise you wouldn't have suggested crossing them at all! Even if you were, I'm not overly fussed on what ppl think of the breed. They are allowed to not like them, its there choice :)

Oh and I have considered putting something else over Daisy, but apart from her lameness problem, I just really don't know what would cross well with her, AND, Ash came out pacing which came from her side, so not sure it would be a good idea, BUT if I found the right mare I could POSSIBLY give it a go, but I would just put alot of thought into it.

Last edited:

citygirl

Gold Member
Oppss sorry Gaia I thought you where having a good too :eek:

And thanks for the PM horseychic ;)

I really believe we do colibanqh **) and most of the time its because someone else has already spent the $$ and/or had the foresight **)

:))
Cheers
Lee

EVP

Gold Member
Gaia those horses are beautiful in anyones language....

I think people get almost obsessive about a STB, so much so they actually learn to read things that aren't even written!

I get told repeatedly "You hate standardbreds".......yet I feed 10 of them everyday!! ';'

Delrae

Gold Member
Just out of curiousity and I hope I dont get bashed for this question but is there any pinto standy's racing in Australia and doing well???

Eoroe

Gold Member
I dont know of any Pinto's racing at the moment - but im not a very valid report on that anyway - lol - I dont really see many races.

There is however - a beautiful example of a strong, resiliant, healthy, 7 year old Roan standarbred in Narrogin that races quite well. He never had any problems with stiffness, was as sound as you cold get every time I saw him, calm, and even had the scars to prove he had nearly taken his hoof off as a youngster. Is built like a box - and his parrallel balance was beautiful. He has such a wide carriage, he reminds me of some type of farm machinery when he moved. So presice and consistent. atching him kick up a gear is just so smooth to watch - you dont see him going faster, some you can really see them putting more into it - nope, he just suddenly travells past a heck of a lot quicker! :)

Would have to be one of the fittest horses on the property.

I only got my hands on him as the owner felt it couldnt hurt - and he didnt want him to miss out as well :)
He certainly didnt need any body work - darn good horse that one - magnificent balance and physic :)

Last edited:

Gaia

Gold Member
Just out of curiousity and I hope I dont get bashed for this question but is there any pinto standy's racing in Australia and doing well???

I think there have been a handful of successful ones (EVP and/or KP can verify) but i think they are far and few between. I find it extemely hard to think you could breed for a colour AND have a successful race horse at the same time. The ones that have have probably been pot luck. There is a stud in Queensland that breed coloured pacers from a stallion that is Homowhatsits, but not sure on his record. Personally he isn't my cup of tea :) Oh have just had a look at the website and he has been sold
http://www.skewbaldracingstables.com/

I think the coloured racing is much bigger in England and Ireland.

Last edited:

EVP

Gold Member
The few I remember actually were sold to Ireland a few years back. I don't think there are any racing ATM.......esp the real flashy ones....you get the roany-greys via Jet Laag breeding, and some with light manes, or a belly splotch...but not flashy.

dirtbug

Gold Member
Awww, thanks Nannygoat! :)
I have 2 pure pinto SB geldings. I wouldn't cross to get a colour either. Quite frankly, I am baffled by ppl's fasination with the Pinto (or any unusual colour for that matter) SB. They are just the same as any other coloured horse of whatever breed. I sorta fell into having 2.

just wanted to say my fasination with them comes from being a child raised in a family that raced pacers, and one day picking up a old old trotting magazine of dads that had a piebald (yes im gonna use that out dated term here) racing in it over east or maby usa i cant remember it was like over 20 mumble mumble years ago...

the closest we ever got to having somthing that wasnt black, brown, chestnut or bay was a grey gelding :)

so yeap one day im's gonna own me a broken coloured standy LOL :p:D*#)

edited to say it could of been a skewbald them photos were black n white, it was that long ago hahahaha

Top Bottom