Pinto/Roan/Dilute Standardbreds?

alphabetsoup

Hey, does anyone have any pinto, roan, or dilute standardbreds (pictures would be amazing!)? I, myself, have a pretty bay mare, but I've never seen a pinto, roan, or dilute standardbred (anyone know if a few are for sale?). Also, is there any pinto/roan/dilute standardbred sires? - I was thinking about breeding my bay mare, but I want to get a flashy baby since the baby would be shown.. not raced.

Thanks!

wattle6180

Gold Member
We have one :D

DSC_0012Medium.jpg

My first ever big horse was a Blue Roan standy....21 years ago :(

mylittlepony

I have a roan standardbred mare**)
dont have any pics of her tho. havent taken any. i had never seen a STB this colour until i bought this mare.

Wattle's OH also has a STB gelding the same colour as my mare, so with the same unusual colour, the shared bloodlines could either be one hell of a coincidence, or the bloodline carries colour.**)

hahaha wattle posted that as i was typing this......mine is the exact same colour. she is just a little smaller than wacky :p

alphabetsoup

bahaha, I want to find/see pinto, roan, and dilute standardbreds. But if they were all three, that would be awesome! haha, just imagine - a palomino roan tobiano. xD
(hopefully that makes sense, I'm really bad at explaining things.. :/)

are there any overo, splash, or sabino standardbreds?

wattle6180

Gold Member
Perhaps in the morning...those lovely Stockies with Pinto pure and part-bred standy's will share some pics. There are quite a few :D

I haven't seen a dilute yet :)

wattle6180

Gold Member
I am wondering how did the roan factor get into pure SBs? Roans are genetically tougher, it means a good chance to win a race.:)

Our current boy, and the blue roan I had years ago, were both born in NZ. The blue guy wasn't very succesful, but Wacky (above) has won over $114K. Pretty ok for Standy prizemoney in WA *#) His joints are VERY good for the amount of racing he has had, and his age.

H

HalcyonStables

One of our new rescue horses is a pinto Stb mare. And we have 2 partbred pinto babies too. Can't share pics yet though. Lovely natured little things they are :D

Do you need to breed one? Why not scout around and see if you can buy or lease (or Adopt!!) a pure or partbred thats a funky colour? They are out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tintara

Someone in Vic (well known to anyone who follows horse welfare issues closely :mad:) specifically bred roan Stbs for years. She branched out into dilute ones as well towards the end but they were mostly crosses.

There was a property down Pinjarra / Mandurah? way years ago with a heap of Stbs running around breeding away madly and some of those were palys and buckskins. Not sure just HOW the cream gene got into the herd originally but some of them towards the end would have bred back pretty close to pure-bred. There were probably pintos and roans there as well.

horseychic

There is a really nice stallion in nz who produces dilutes and pinto's i contacted the lady to see if she did AI with him and hopefully she will this year as he babies are very nice.:)*

EVP

Gold Member
Someone in Vic (well known to anyone who follows horse welfare issues closely :mad:) specifically bred roan Stbs for years. She branched out into dilute ones as well towards the end but they were mostly crosses.
There was a property down Pinjarra / Mandurah? way years ago with a heap of Stbs running around breeding away madly and some of those were palys and buckskins. Not sure just HOW the cream gene got into the herd originally but some of them towards the end would have bred back pretty close to pure-bred. There were probably pintos and roans there as well.

Ah yes I remember that one...........a weird kind of Dr Moreau theory I reckon. Many were confiscated and destroyed I think from memory - terrible shame when people let their personal unrealistic ambitions get in the way of common sense and animal welfare standards.

citygirl

Gold Member
There is a really nice stallion in nz who produces dilutes and pinto's i contacted the lady to see if she did AI with him and hopefully she will this year as he babies are very nice.:)*

I do have to ask..why would you spend big $$ in A.I etc etc... to get a STB Pinto or Dilute on the ground in W.A when we have some awsome Dilute/Roan & Pinto Stallions here you could use over a STB Mare for half the price ?? ';'

Cheers
Lee

R

Remaani

I do have to ask..why would you spend big $$ in A.I etc etc... to get a STB Pinto or Dilute on the ground in W.A when we have some awsome Dilute/Roan & Pinto Stallions here you could use over a STB Mare for half the price ?? ';'

Cheers
Lee

I am pretty sure horseychic has a STB mare & obviously wants to be a Coloured (purebred) STB, wether it be for showing, harness or pleasure?.... hence not using a Pinto/Dilute/Roan stallion of any other breed.... but i may be wrong?

But there are some nice coloured stallions over here Lee. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

horseychic

The reason i would spend the $$$ not that i should in anyway have to justify doing it but would be i want a purebred not a partbred for purely my own purposes, the ones that occassionally come up for sale in australia are nearly always way overpriced. I just dont get peoples attitude to always putting down the breed. #(#(

Top Bottom