Petplan - Is This Normal?

MyShadowfax

Hi all, well I lodged my first claim for Shadow's vet bills (spanning from April to Sept) on the 8th Dec and have been patiently waiting waiting for some contact from Petplan.

I figure it has been 2 weeks so I decided to give them a call - the girl on the phone was a bit rude and said that she only started processing my claim yesterday and that as it's my first claim she has requested a full history from my vet (of course I don't have a problem with this, I just don't know why it would take two weeks for them to request this?)

Anyone else had a similar experience? Am I overreacting a little?

Just thought it was a bit strange!

pso

Gold Member
normal for petplan ;)

I suggest emailing all enquiries, so you have a copy of communication...**)

MyShadowfax

Thanks PSO. Speaking of emailing them - funny story....

A couple of months ago I did send them an email requesting my policy number be emailed to me and I got a response back in multi coloured writing with smiley faces etc and bad spelling and grammar.

Now I think this is hilarious....someone must have accidentally added my email address to their internal address book so I have been receiving all their internal mail memos including policy info and some very offensive material I might add! Of course I have sent them emails asking to be removed but my requests fall on deaf ears - last time I requested to be removed I sent an email to every single address in the company telling them what has been happening - I wonder if it will work lol

VERY AMUSED HA HA

himitsu

petplan is in eastern states isnt it? well it would take a week just to get the paper work over there. and i dont think a week to start the claim is excessive. so yep overreacting!

A

alyandmontana

Mmm my ponies are insured with petplan and i havent had any trouble yet :D

MyShadowfax

petplan is in eastern states isnt it? well it would take a week just to get the paper work over there. and i dont think a week to start the claim is excessive. so yep overreacting!

Um as I am in QLD I am pretty sure that is an Eastern State and it was sent via express so should have taken two days but anyway, I digress...and it took TWO weeks, not one for them to request the paperwork - I spoke to my vet and he thinks they are a bunch of slackos lol.

Mason

Um as I am in QLD I am pretty sure that is an Eastern State and it was sent via express so should have taken two days but anyway, I digress...and it took TWO weeks, not one for them to request the paperwork - I spoke to my vet and he thinks they are a bunch of slackos lol.

I sent my claim off end of November for my dog, got a letter saying that they would process my claim in 10 business days just before xmas and I have heard nothing further. Its also my first claim.

Nannoo

We have claimed twice from petplan, once for our cat and once for our horse.

Our cat's claim took 7 months to process before it was finally paid. The horse claim took around 5 months. Each time all histories were sent and everything provided. It took many emails and phone calls of harassment to finally get something done!!

We still have the horses insured with them (ONLY because they are the only ones covering high vet bills) but we have switched companies for all the other pets. We are prepared to be out of pocket for at least 6 months paying a huge vet bill and hopefully some day be paid back by petplan.
So if you insure with them be sure to have the money to pay a vet bill and don't count on a quick pay out!!

Sallie

I have Petplan insurance for my current 3 horses.

My advice is keep calling them every couple of days. As for vet / corrective farrier covers call them and say your vet/farrier require payment before they will see you again and they then pay out faster. I had them paying out in about 4-6 weeks, and don't wait to the end to summit the claims

As for loss of use claims they take forever..... Keep calling them

MyShadowfax

Update...

Ok so it has been over 1 month and NOTHING!

As per everyone's advice I have requested an update in writing 3 times and have not received a single response. I phoned today to check up on the claim and was cut off TWICE!

Am over it so I have contacted the Financial Services Ombudsman and am waiting on a file number - just sent PetPlan an email notifying them I have brought the Ombudsman into the matter and I will forward them the file no when I have it hee hee.

Lets see if I get a better response from them then.

Lokenzo

Gold Member
Yup, I sent my claim off August last year for Paddy, got a cheque in the mail last week :p Was very nice to get said cheque tho but Petplan can be known for being a little slow.

They also need ALL ORIGINAL documents. Silly me filled in my form, faxed it to 1 of the vets as they are about an hours drive away and they faxed it back to me so I then sent it off with original invoice. Nope, they need originals so bare that in mind too.

megan

hmmm so you get it so you can cover your vet bills but you have to cover them anyways. and wait months and months before they bother paying
i dont see the point in getting it.

MyShadowfax

Hi all received a chq in the mail YESTERDAY for a lot less than I was expecting. I was including the amounts I paid the vet for travel but apparently they are not going to cover this? I checked my policy and it says NOTHING in there about travel expenses being excluded so I think I may query this. It was amazing how the ombudsman office got their bum's in gear haha.

Anyone know of any other GOOD equine insurance companies that cover vet bills?

Naomi

Wow, this is an unpleasant surprise...I just sent my claim into Petplan yesterday for over $1000 that my dog cost me on Xmas Eve (had to get paperwork from 2 vets) I'm a bit worried now, I sort of need that money in the next few months!

Reigate

We have had two claims on deaths of horses insured with Petplan and both were paid out really quickly and the staff were really helpful.

Both were with minimal fuss - one of the claims they wanted proof that we bred the foal - so I sent a few photos in - of conception, pregnancy and birth.....! lol Gave them all a good giggle.....

Last_Hope

Omg

I have been reading all this stuff on what a night mare pet plan is... I am bewildered at how unprofessional and useless they are, it gives me confidence in knowing that it may be possible for me to start up my own pet insurance company and train monkeys to deal with my customers :)* I am so not going with pet plan after all I have heard!

Top Bottom