Oh to be a teenager again! - Horsemanship with Jayne Lavender

Saiorse

Before school started up again, back in January, a bunch of teens I teach took their horses to Brigadoon camping.

Lucky me got an invite (they know I'm 14 at heart), and on the first day we hired the indoor school so we could deal with a few simple issues that have come up for each of the horses and girls whenever they compete there.

The rest of the time we soaked in the river - delightful, but for the prickly weed! We also rode all over Brigadoon looking for adventure, some I'm sharing here...

Today has been my first chance to upload the photo's we remembered to take (I wish we'd gotten the camera out a lot more!). It really feels like an event that happened last year, not just last month. We had a truly special time with our horses, and really appreciate the facilities at the SEC (who are really great people too!) and the natural beauty of the Bells Rapids.

Teenagers know how to have fun with horses! Do you remember those days???

View attachment 2658
Getting their confidence for the coming eventing season...

View attachment 2662
"You expect me to carry you down that!?" says Whiskey

View attachment 2660
Considerate riders... It was very gravelly and we slipped a lot!

View attachment 2659
Shame the other side of the bridge was horse-proof! We had to turn around and go back...

View attachment 2663
Salty, but drinking out of creeks is what real bushriding is all about!

XJ

Last edited:

Saiorse

more pix (promising restraint! LOL)

View attachment 2667
This mare gets very uptight in dressage competitions at the SEC so we helped her enjoy her time there.

View attachment 2668
This mare is scared of the stopclock in the ceiling! By the end of the afternoon she was content to accept it.

View attachment 2666
Friends.

View attachment 2665
An adult interloper like me! This horse is so green we thought an afternoon in the indoor school would be a great experience for her. Her owner got a draw...eventually (there were 6 horses and more people running about loose in there though, so she did really well!)

XJ

Horsemanship with Jayne Lavender

Last edited:

cobbie

Gold Member
Well there you go! Small world, all those greys are in my pony club group! I will PM you :)

Saiorse

Thanks for commenting on the pix, guys! As I said I promised restraint - there are a lot more, some a little bit too "nordy" for Stockies (not rude, just a little adventurous).

The dappled mare is a riding pony, Izzy2512.

Dirtbug; to join in you'd need to put the time into your horse that these girls have. All had serious issues to overcome. Well worth the effort, I think you can see, so feel free to get in touch with me or anyone I coach.

Got your PM Tarz; sorry my mailbox is always full, so some have bounced. I can't keep up with it! Admin - can I have a bigger mailbox pls? Pretty pls... BTW people, when my mailbox is full, there are plenty of other ways to contact me - email, msn, yahoo etc.

Blitzen - I'm not allowed to agree with you, LOL. The girls think I'm awesome, so my cup runneth over! I think they are awesome too, and I'll do anything for the kids I teach. I'm their fairy godmother (they christened me that years ago & even threatened to kill off their parents so they could all move in with me. Hubbie was slightly concerned! LOL).

See you at Interschool...

XJ

cobbie

Gold Member
Mine is on the edge of being full...49 lol, so you got my PM? Look forward to a reply :) I think my whole PC group will be at the interschools, all us greys :)

Saiorse

Where do you start?... surrounded by X-country jumps; potential for much fun, but it's 6am and you've been eating lollies and giggling all night, during a strong easterly wind, housed in a float!
View attachment 2678

XJ

Last edited:

Rem

I'd have to agree that you are an awesome instructor Saiorse, the fairy godmother bit though hmmm. Getting an image of you with fairy wings and a wand ROFL! :D

Arnie

Gold Member
Wow what lovely photo's!!!
What gentle loving riders they all look :). They should be proud!

Saiorse

I so don't relate to a fairy god-mother, LOL! Me in a frock for a start! And if you gave me a wand I couldn't guarantee I'd only use the power for good-deeds. I'd turn a few "toads" (read - people who X me) into, well, toads.

Taylorc, I'll be doing this from my rocker on the veranda when I'm old and warty and drooling. Hopefully by then all the gorgeous kids I've had the good fortune to befriend will be helping me out, LOL. My first batch of kids I taught are graduating Uni and/or working now. Freaking me OUT!

BTW I do camps with adults. We have just as much fun, just add alcohol!

Arnie, these girls pictured are really considerate horse-partners. It's been my privilege to coach them as they've ventured into horse-ownership. I get to influence and guide them, and they simply shine as human beings. I have to add, their parents are a pleasure to work alongside. We consulted all the way.

XJ

B

Bon & Ted

That looks so great.

It's so refreshing to see young girls that can have a partnership with their horse...instead of thrashing them.

Not generalising here at all but it's not often that a riding school or even alot of instructors will encourage an equal partnership between horse and rider.

Good on you Saiorse **)

Top Bottom