Maxi soy pellets-fattening?

Leon

Just did a search as probably covered before but couldn't find the answer to my exact question, are maxi soy pellets good for putting weight on?

Who feeds it, why do you feed it and what results have you seen?

Thanks**)

Leon

Thanks Desmo,

What quantity do you feed for weight gain? Have added the maxi soy to a feed of whole lupins, wheaten chaff and Equine Chia.. Just need a little bit extra over summer..

Neighlands

Depends on the horse and what regime I use - for my oldies or rescues 1/2 a 1 litre scoop dry and then add 3 x water (plus their other stuff ) - they may be fed up to 6 times a day depending on their condition.
I have a younger Arab who just needs a boost and he gets 1/2 scoop dry weight - then soaked along with micronized lupins and lucerne chaff plus gumnuts just once a day and he has piled it on.
I have a teenage TB who was just maintaining - not gaining so just started her on the same with slightly more gumnuts and she is starting to improve too.

However I have a lot of paddock feed so they are always grazing.

Shez

I know Peppi from our AR uses them Leon on her chestnut t/bred gelding Eddy - he definately looks great on them :) and he is not a hot horse by any means lol

Excelsior Centerpiece

i LOVE maxisoy... love it love it love it!
and i love PSO for putting me onto it!
great for laminitic horses, and horses who tie up- of which i need!

its low GI, very resoanbly priced and you dont need to feed much really...

its also great as wee is really on more additives than on actual food so as you feed it wet- all his additives are in there too- then its just mixed in with his chaff... easy...

have no poblems with him eating it, and his muscels are the softest they have ever been (he used to be hard rock from tying up all the time)

wee used to get two hard feeds a day with lucerne lupins oats and pellets etc etc (he was doing 2.5-3hours worht of dressasge a day so needed it) but hes looks fit and healthy now on just maxisoy and chaff... :)* id put all my horses on it

Nicola

I gave Charlie 800g dry per day and he definitely put on weight :) his feed was 1kg lupins, 800g maxisoy, 100ml canola oil and about 5 biscuits of oaten hay per day.

He didn't gain as much as he did on spell though, where he absolutely stacked the weight on! I think he was fed maintenance pellets there but he also had access to fantastic pasture. Maybe a good quality pellet would be worth a try? I'm keeping him on the pellets so will let you know whether they fizz him up

Leon

Thanks everyone! Excuse my ignorance, but that is why I was thinking it wasn't good for putting on weight as it seems to be a recommended maintenance feed for laminitic/prone to founder horses (which I always think are over weight related issues)..

What is in the feed itself that is helpful to gain weight? The fibre content or protein content?

Nicola

Thanks everyone! Excuse my ignorance, but that is why I was thinking it wasn't good for putting on weight as it seems to be a recommended maintenance feed for laminitic/prone to founder horses (which I always think are over weight related issues)..

What is in the feed itself that is helpful to gain weight? The fibre content or protein content?

Laminitis is essentially just inflammation of the laminar tissue in the hoof. There are lots of factors involved in laminitis, such weight causing excessive pressure, injuries leading to uneven weight distribution etc but feeds high non-structural carbohydrates (such as grain) are another, as the excess grain is fermented in the hind-gut, causing acidosis which can lead to laminits in horses/ponies with a predisposition for it. So a feed can be fattening and still suitable for laminitis horses as it lacks these non-structural carbohydrates.

I believe it's the fibre content in maxisoy which is fattening, as the protein is not of high quality

Leon

Thank you Nicola:D

Some fantastic information... I always related Laminitis to fat little pony's and could vaugely remember the high grain diet's as a cause as well.

I will need to take the scales down with me tomorrow and see what weight I have been feeding dry, will be interesting as I am sure I am not feeding enough.

Just curious, what pellets are you going to be feeding? Are you keeping up with the maxi soy/oil etc?

Nicola

I'll double check tomorrow. Charlie's sharing a paddock with my housemate's horse so I've adapted his diet to fit in. So the maxisoy has been replaced by oaten chaff, Lucerne chaff and copra and he gets sunflower seeds instead of oil. In addition to that he also gets lupins, pellets and a little mill mix. The paddock has good pasture so I don't feed hay unless he's stabled, when I give him meadow.
Her horse looks fantastic on this so we'll see how Charlie goes. If it doesn't suit him I'll alter it

Nicola

From memory, 800g was just under one of those standard food scoops. It swelled to fill a 10L bucket and made a massive feed. I think maxisoy is great and would feed it again if it was just Charlie, but the other horses on the property are doing very well on their current diet so I'll play around with what's provided before buying in maxisoy

katie16

What type of maxisoy?

Just did a search as probably covered before but couldn't find the answer to my exact question, are maxi soy pellets good for putting weight on?

Who feeds it, why do you feed it and what results have you seen?

Thanks**)

I feed maxisoy,
They have a few different 'types' out but we have our horses on 'Low GI super fibre pellets' but they also have 'maxisoy full fat soyabean meal' which ones do you guys feed? whats the difference just the Low GI and fibre???

i mix my maxisoy with boiled barley, chaffs, vitamin/mineral sup find that keeps weight on my horses easily and cheap!

Would love to know what type of maxisoy you guys use? and would the 'full fat soyabean meal' have more 'heat' in it? and put weight on faster/more?

Nicola

I feed maxisoy,
They have a few different 'types' out but we have our horses on 'Low GI super fibre pellets' but they also have 'maxisoy full fat soyabean meal' which ones do you guys feed? whats the difference just the Low GI and fibre???

i mix my maxisoy with boiled barley, chaffs, vitamin/mineral sup find that keeps weight on my horses easily and cheap!

Would love to know what type of maxisoy you guys use? and would the 'full fat soyabean meal' have more 'heat' in it? and put weight on faster/more?

I used the super fibre pellets and I'm pretty sure Leon is talking about that one too. Being low GI, it releases energy slowly and therefore doesn't give horses an energy rush after a feed, which is why it's so non-heating. Think of a kid having weetbix for breakfast vs coco pops.

I don't know much about the full fat soya bean meal as I've never fed it, but from what I've read on here it's a very good quality protein source and excellent for condition on. It's more expensive than the fibre pellets though. It would definitely put weight on faster but I honestly have no idea about the heating aspect. I think 'heating' is very individual though. My boy's quite highly strung so I was always very careful about what I fed him. For the last 3 days though he's had Lucerne, maintenance pellets and mill mix, which some people claim are very heating and he's as quiet as a lamb

peppi

I swapped from fibre beet to maxi soy as I found it was half the cost and just as good. i like feeding wet feeds especially as my lad has been prone to ulcers and as its full of fibre and fed wet thats great...! I mix it one standard feed scoop to 4 scoops water and that does two feeds ( I keep it in the fridge this time of year) He does get chaff, lycerne,alka pellets as well and Ive just started adding a small scoop of lupins, but Im planning on seeing how they actually go as I dont want him turning TB on me as hes normally well laid back.

Orlaithe

Having been looking for something low in Carb but good for giving my TB some energy I have done a heaps of reading rave reveiws for Maxisoy. So I bought some today.

Must say it does concern me that the disclaimer on the packet says that the manufacturer and distributor take no responsility for the product in any form of use. Or words to that effect.

Will see what my girly thinks of it tomorrow....

Last edited:

katie16

I swapped from fibre beet to maxi soy as I found it was half the cost and just as good. i like feeding wet feeds especially as my lad has been prone to ulcers and as its full of fibre and fed wet thats great...! I mix it one standard feed scoop to 4 scoops water and that does two feeds ( I keep it in the fridge this time of year) He does get chaff, lycerne,alka pellets as well and Ive just started adding a small scoop of lupins, but Im planning on seeing how they actually go as I dont want him turning TB on me as hes normally well laid back.

I also swapped from 'speedi beet' to maxisoy, much cheaper and i found maxisoy put more weight on my horses! I had a lot of problems with finding odd grains in my speedibeet bags (corn and balck sunflower seeds etc) has anyone else found this?

I feed the LOW GI maxisoy pellets at the moment, was thinking of going to full fat maxisoy but still thinking. :)

Top Bottom