Horses can feel just as much pain from whips as humans, study shows

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Horses can feel just as much pain from whips as humans, study shows

A landmark scientific paper published today shows that horses have the capability to feel as much pain from whipping as humans.

The publication comes as the Australian racing industry is debating the use of whips and follows the $50,000 fine handed to jockey Kerrin McEvoy for excessive whip use in the Melbourne Cup.

Racing Victoria is leading a push to gradually phase out the use of whips altogether.

Key points:
  • Researchers have found a horse can feel the same amount of pain from whipping as a human
  • They came to the conclusion by comparing nerve endings in horse and human skin
  • Some racing figures argue whips do not hurt and are used as encouragement
read more...

PlumpRump

I wouldn't be keen to get on a TB in race work without a crop... I tend to whack myself harder in the leg than I have ever used it on a horse, and never leave a mark, bruise or even sore sensation. I agree overuse can be a problem in some circles (as with "carrot sticks"), but most kids who have gone through lessons or pony club are taught proper use. How will this affect disabled riders who use dressage whips as aids? Are bits next?

Top Bottom