Horse insurance

Rubes

Hello

Just wondering who people have their horses insured with?

I am specifically looking for a good plan that includes loss of use.

Thanks! :)*

(PS - I hope I am allowed to ask this type of thing? if not, please remove..)

windmill

I use Pet Plan and DESPITE the bad wrap they have in other posts I must say I've never had any issue with them touchwood!

I get the pick and mix which includes up to $7000 vet fees per annum. Made two claims in the few years of having cover and claim was paid out quickly (about 4 weeks from memory) with no questions or squabbles over vet's invoices etc There is option of loss of use but I wasn't fussed about that, just went with up to $9k and it's around $50/month.

Overal I'm happy enough with their service, their claim payments and the price so I will be ensuring subsequent horses with them.

PM me if you want more info about being paid out with the claim etc:)

Hen

I am with pet plan as well :) no complaints. Loss of use insurance offered from 2 years of age. I have mortality and loss of use, not covered for vet bills as it made the premiums very, very high and I would rather just pay the vet out of my own pocket as I do with my other non insured horse. I really wanted peace of mind if the horse is stolen, dies or does a tendon that my investment is secure - pet plan met my needs.

Ali

I'm with Petplan, never had a problem BUT I've never had to claim either. Shop around and get afew different quotes before deciding.

Que Sera Sera

Im with Pet Plan too. Loss of use, due to having a TB gelding. Dont have vet bills coverage, but again its more about what do you do with a young TB gelding thats done a joint or permenant injury to make them unrideable. Not like you can chuck them in the paddock to be a broodie.

I did check with them, that if it was a case of the horse being in too much pain, but still being able to live, that I wouldnt have to delay PTS if vet recommended it for quality of life issues. I didnt want to wait on red tape from them to do the right thing by my horse and still be financially recompensated.

Touch wood, my boy has had no injuries or illness in the 3 years Ive had him, so Im happy on that front.

On the admistration side of Pet Plan, it sucks. They need to get more people in the equine department and stop burning out the single one that have in there so they resign. I have had issues with direct debits caused by their system stuff ups. Like reverting to trying to take premiums our of an account 6 months after the account number was changed and there was no issue with taking money out of the new account for 6 months, their system had a hiccup and reverted it to previous account. Luckily previous account was still open and had money in it.

Last edited:

windmill

I am with pet plan as well :) no complaints. Loss of use insurance offered from 2 years of age. I have mortality and loss of use, not covered for vet bills as it made the premiums very, very high and I would rather just pay the vet out of my own pocket as I do with my other non insured horse. I really wanted peace of mind if the horse is stolen, dies or does a tendon that my investment is secure - pet plan met my needs.

Yes Hen I can see your (and other's) reasoning behind not selecting vet fees -

The reason I decided to get that included was that I know of a couple of circumstances where horse required surgery eg colic and horse was insured for mortality HOWEVER apparently you cannot ELECT to have the horse euthanised and receive your mortality payout. Eg the vet has to try and save the horse in the first instance, then if horse dies due to complications or whatever, then mortality insurance will be undisputed along with no dispute on paying out vet fees

With the PetPlan vet fees inclusion, say your horse requires surgery (eg colic surgery approx $10k) the insurance covers most of that plus if the horse still dies, you get the mortality payout also. This would of course be awful situation but reality is that option covers most financial bases

I know of some very tragic situations where horses have required surgery and the mortality payout didn't cover all of the vet fees :( so poor owner lost horse plus still had huge vet bill to pay because the vet isn't allowed to take the cheaper option and simply euthanase horse to avoid the chance to save with surgery. The only way around it would be by delaying a decision and losing the horse thus not going through surgery, just accepting death.

Just for consideration **)

Top Bottom