Horse Cubes and Canola Meal - starting amounts?

painter

I had to get some horse cubes to get my lot through to feed pickup day on Wednesday, and finally got some canola meal (it has never ever been in stock when I have been at any stockfeeders, so I've never fed it before)

I have two 16h geldings and one 14.3 mare that I am supp feeding - they are on 20ish acres reasonable pasture 24/7. Only my TB gelding needs the extra food at the moment as he has dropped weight in the last couple of weeks, but if I don't occupy the others they bugger off to the other side of the paddock and he won't eat:(

Just want to know a safe maximum of each to feed to introduce to them - a 2lt icecream container of cubes and 1/2 a cup of canola meal or could I go to 2 x 2lt icecream container cubes and a cup canola meal for the TB?

Over summer they were getting lupins, oats, lucerne, bran (1x day) and hay (2x day). Planning to drop the lucerne and bran but keep the TB on canola meal and cubes as well if needed. They all have 24/7 access to vit/minerals and salt.

Ta!

ClubIgnite

If they are used to getting lupins, oats etc. i'd say horse cubes would be a pretty safe thing to introduce and 2 containers would be fine. They arent a massively high energy or protein feed. Just curious too, why you chose to get canola meal as well? What is your particular reason for feeding it?

painter

Thanks! As for the canola meal, hoping it will help keep weight on my TB - he is a slow eater and stops/stresses if the others finish and leave him, so I am trying to add energy without increasing the 'bulk' of his meal too much..and hay 24/7 hasn't helped (and he dosn't like oil to be added to his feed).

The commercial processed feeds are way too expensive down here, and to be honest what I have bought has been absolutely crap quality, so I prefer to buy farm direct.

Last edited:

Cornflower

Why are you dropping the lucerne? It's a good feed. The only thing i would drop is the bran. And keep everything else as is. When i started feeding FFS meal, i added a little and increased from there to a rate of 1 cup per day.

painter

Dropping the lucerne because I don't think they need it with the feed on the ground between now and summer and the hay/lupins that they get. They get lucerne in summer as there is no green pick at all.

Soaked whole lupins and hay (with ad lib vit/min/salt) as a standard diet keeps them in top condition (weight, shiny coats, energy etc), the oats are for flavour and when they are worked more. The TB has dropped weight because of the funky weather we have had the last few weeks (he gets cold easy, but sweats real easy as well so rugging has been difficult - warm evening freezing early mornings).

As it turns out, all three think that I have fed them crap tonight, should have seen the dirty looks and kicked buckets, spoilt ponies:D

citygirl

Gold Member
lol painter - I was going to put a thread up asking about Canola Meal !

I want to know, the max I can feed, as I've only ever fed a cup full at a time.
I read the bag tonight- the min protien % is 31 !

Are you getting your "pony-cubes" straight from the maker in Bunbury area ?

Cheers
Lee

painter

LOL nope, i got them in Manjimup today, but I'm heading to Bunbury this week, how much are they and what brand? Although, I might not bother with them again if my horses reaction to them tonight is an indication of what they taste like;)

KC Quarter Horses

Gold Member
In Bunbury you can get AV pellets from Kettridges but since your in Boyup maybe you should try picking up Muir Mix from John Muir. He is right next door to the Bridgetown PC and the brew he makes is good value well balanced and does the job

painter

Well despite the pulled faces and kicked buckets, all three cleaned their bowls clean, so I think the display was purely for my benefit, funny ponies.

KC I have had the Mix from John and it was excellent, just was in the opposite direction today and needed to get something from where I was coz I didn't know what time I would be home.

citygirl

Gold Member
In Bunbury you can get AV pellets from Kettridges but since your in Boyup maybe you should try picking up Muir Mix from John Muir. He is right next door to the Bridgetown PC and the brew he makes is good value well balanced and does the job

lol KC thats the pellets I use ;) - they deliver...I'm too far way from J & J Muir sadly.

Cheers
Lee

crave

I feed canola meal for their coats, I have a dark liver chestnut and the difference when I feed it is amazing. I only give a small handfull a day :)

Ali

Mine get canola meal, about half a cup a day. If you buy it in the 25kg bags its works out quite economical. Full fat soya bean meal is also a good suppliment for putting abit of extra protein into the diet, some horses do get abit hot on it though.

Archie 101

Just started to add half a cup of Canola meal to my 7 and 18yo QH
Very economical and so far no craziness. FfSoy sent the 7 to silly - way too much forward....plus on Equifeast CCC. Happy horses now

Top Bottom