Going bald at injection site?

Lauren

Gold Member
Bess has got a big bald spot on the side of her neck.
It's in the same area she get's her Pentosan Injections?

Why?? haha

I'll upload a pic in a minute

Lauren

Gold Member
Close Up
05112010035.jpg

& Far Away
05112010036.jpg

It's not dirt (I scrubbed haha).. her skin is just black :)

Lauren

Gold Member
Towards the end of August.
She's had the initial 4 and is soon coming up for the next 1.

Some horses can have different types of reactions sometimes it will take time for it to build up.

With the next injection I would use the other side of the neck to see if you get the same thing. It could be something else and not the injections.

I would also suggest putting you horse on MSM goes in feed it is very good for all sorts of conditions I use it for myself for arhrities and stiffness and now don't need any painkillers now also all my horses here are on it and they go very good on it.

Lauren

Gold Member
She has a little bald patch on the other side (where she got 1 injection)..

Yep have looked into putting her on MSN & Glucosamine.. she get's ACV as well :)

I would stop the injections then it must not suit her. When you buy the MSM don't get the one with other additives for you will find its not pure. I found the one from bio-john is very good. I have used glucosamie and found no differnce. Linseed oil is better than apple cider vingar.

My boy had very stiff hocks put him on MSM and linseed oil now free as a bird.

Another good product is magna sol can be hard to find but you massage into joints tendons ligaments and swellings its a natural pain killer and antimflatory.

1 horse bowed tendoned 3 times one spot 2 horse 80% tear suspensory both stood up to racing and won both retired sound for riding and competion

Last edited:

Maree4

Gold Member
Did you wipe the area with an alcohol swab first, if so I would say its that. If not I would contact your vet. ;)

Lauren

Gold Member
Did you wipe the area with an alcohol swab first, if so I would say its that. If not I would contact your vet. ;)

Uh.. No.
Vet never mentioned that lol.

I will give them a call tomorrow and see if that's what it is.

I really don't wana take her off them as before she was on them she was extremely, extremely stiff and pulling up sore after jumping. Now she moves fine in her legs and never pulls up even stiff.

chanel

i comment on your photo on fb :p
but charlie gets his pentosan in his butt so maybe try a different spot?

Go the Distance

When giving the Pentosan are you making sure you have the needle in deep. It looks as though the medication as travelled subcutaneously or just under the skin instead of being deep in the muscle. This could have caused the hair to fall out.

Ozzies_Girl

My grandmas mare had something similar from the same injection, darkening of the area around the injection. When the vet was out I asked him what it was and he said it was just a side effect and not to worry, It faded over the time. I hunted down a photo, you can see it kind of in this pic on her neck, it had already started to fade by this point though.

arizonaleap_by_tricia_jayne_stock-d2xqm9n.jpg

BeccaBoo

A note on the linseed oil - I wouldn't be giving that, it's known to aggravate horses guts quite badly. :)

Lauren

Gold Member
When giving the Pentosan are you making sure you have the needle in deep. It looks as though the medication as travelled subcutaneously or just under the skin instead of being deep in the muscle. This could have caused the hair to fall out.

I didn't for the first 2 (before I realised that it wasn't going deep enough after she got a 'bubble' of fluid).

She's dropped of a little.. I hate being able feel ribs lol

Belle2021

Interesting my mare was put on a course of pentosan after an injury after a course we stopped after course as noticed what seemed like a water spot really obvious clipped now her coat is coming back still visible hoping in time will fade she has made a full recovery but is now on synoquinn as preventative to protect her can just see it in this photo

Attachments

• 20210919_151624.jpg
    20210919_151624.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 11

Belle2021

Interesting my mare was put on a course of pentosan after an injury after a course we stopped as noticed what seemed like a water spot really obvious clipped now her coat is coming back still visible hoping in time will fade she has made a full recovery but is now on synoquinn as preventative to protect her can just see it in this photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-205316_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-205316_Photos.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Top Bottom