Float insurance?? RAC won't do it?

H

HalcyonStables

Just spoke to RAC about insuring my float. It is a 2005 Ed Lockyer but they've said they won't insure it because its custom made!

Surely Ed Lockyer floats aren't custom? I mean it was a fully registered construction business wasn't it? The Dept of Transport have put it as custom on the paperwork, I don't know why, and because of that RAC won't insure it. They are telling me that their system doesn't recognise Ed Lockyer as a float manufacturer, it doesn't come up.

So who do I go to instead then? I am pretty peeved because I wanted my car and float all insured together by the same people for the same policy to make my life easier.

Faxie

I used to insure my float with GIO, now am with Elders under our property insurance.. its just a trailer really, why does it have to be a 'brand'. A GIO assessor even came to my property to view the float for valuing as well when I wanted to increase the insurance as I had it under insured..

banjo

my float is listed as "custom" and i had it with QBE now its will elders with all our property.

nannygoat

Gold Member
Surely Ed Lockyer floats aren't custom? I mean it was a fully registered construction business wasn't it?

Ed Lockyer used a loophole by using his floats 'once' and then selling them 'secondhand' and thus avoiding being a dealer (or something)

The reason he stopped making them 'might' have been because of some interesting tax records...as I got hauled over the coals because I bought one.

So I would suggest that, no, Lockie floats were simply home made (custom) floats.

(totally OT but use this as warning to always declare truthfully how much you paid for a vehicle/trailer when you sign that transfer document!! It is what saved my hide lol)

mini magic

Im looking into insuring my float which is also listed on the rego papers as custom made? But was made at WA Horsefloats:confused: hope I dont have any problems insuring it?

H

HalcyonStables

OK so far I have tried Elders, RAC & Youi and NONE of them insure horse floats! They only insure trailers under 750kg and seeing as the float is 900kg that means they won't touch it.

SGIO will, they're so far the ONLY ones I have found that will insure a float.

H

HalcyonStables

GIO saved my bacon! Good price, quick and easy, and my float is insured. PHEW!!

Ants

mine (and all of our other farm stuff) is with WFI, they didnt have a problem with a horse float :)

Northern Peregrine

My 2007 Colonial is custom...says so on the rego. RAC know this and insured it, no problems. Obviously they recognise Colonials? ';'

Last edited:

realalvin

OK so far I have tried Elders, RAC & Youi and NONE of them insure horse floats! They only insure trailers under 750kg and seeing as the float is 900kg that means they won't touch it.

SGIO will, they're so far the ONLY ones I have found that will insure a float.

I used to use many brands like Weatherbeeta,Horseware,Harrison Howard and Native Pony. Now I find that Horseware is the best.

Top Bottom