Exmoor Breeders in Australia ?

Neighlands

For some reason i couldn't find anything related in Google - are there any Exmoor Ponies here at all ?

alexander

This lady used to run the Dartmoor/Exmoor Pony Society:
Secretary: Marie Bannan
Phone/Fax: 07 4685 2255
Mobile: 0427511616

celestialdancer

Gold Member
was looking into purchasing a couple of exmoor mares for a while to breed from.
There is one stud that I found. I just googled "exmoor studs in Australia"

Neighlands

Well - just had a reply from the exmoor society back in blighty and there are no registered exmoors here in Au.
There were some a few years back but none now.
I must get someone to put a couple in their suitcase methinks :D

celestialdancer

Gold Member
Wow okay!
I agree with you on the smuggling thing, I went through a fad of feeling the need to buy 1X dartmoor, exmoor, new forest, Fell and Dales mares.

Ponypuppet

Well - just had a reply from the exmoor society back in blighty and there are no registered exmoors here in Au.
There were some a few years back but none now.
Thats a real shame :( They are nice little ponies, I used to lease one back in England when I was small enouth to fit on one. :p

Yarrabah Quarter Horses

My first horse exmoor x arab hardy little boy sure had some stamina. Done a charity ride on him to raise $$$$ or should I say english pounds for kids with cancer. Rode on lots of fox hunts had a ball he was a bit of a shite at times had a mind of his own took off with my dad once when we were allowed to ride around the edge of farmers fields bit like fire breaks here. He never bucked just gave my dad a good ride, think he done the same to o/h lol he was a character

Cheers - Sue

Neighlands

I wonder how much of a market there would be for them here - great stocky little individuals and yes Yqh - minds of their own, leastways all the ones i know did :D

Ali

I love the Exmoors and have had the pleasure of riding out on parts of Exmoor years ago and passing small herds of the ponies. Its shame we can't get any over here, they make fantastic all rounders and all the ones that I rode as a kid could jump like stags. My parents are coming over from the UK next year, I should tell them to bring me a couple LOL.

kiraSpark

Gold Member
According to Wiki there is only around 800 worldwide, I could imagine they would be hard to get hold of? And even less 'unknown' ones floating around ;)

BellaSkip

I wonder how much of a market there would be for them here - great stocky little individuals and yes Yqh - minds of their own, leastways all the ones i know did :D
I reckon the market would be huge for them. Dependable, handy little ponies. Great as leadliners, great as first off the lead ponies, great little harness ponies...

I wanted to bring over a small herd of dartmoor ponies, and some new forests...yummmy

Neighlands

My parents are coming over from the UK next year, I should tell them to bring me a couple LOL.
I'll pay the extra baggage allowance :D

I am tempted I must say - they are not expensive to buy in the uk but the importation - hmmm ';'

celestialdancer

Gold Member
There are already a couple of New Forest studs in Australia :)
I do also think tht there would be a huge maret for Exmoor ponies, but like any breed they have to be shown and known before they become popular i think.

It's just like the Gypsy Cobs, there are very few purebreds in England, and they're sold for 2 or 3 pounds at the markets, yet over here they have a huge market and people pay $30,000 easily for them!

Neighlands

There are already a couple of New Forest studs in Australia :)
I do also think tht there would be a huge maret for Exmoor ponies, but like any breed they have to be shown and known before they become popular i think.

It's just like the Gypsy Cobs, there are very few purebreds in England, and they're sold for 2 or 3 pounds at the markets, yet over here they have a huge market and people pay $30,000 easily for them!
They sure do - i bought a little stunner from our local market once for ?23 ! She jumped out of the back of a panel van, no ramp and was bought through at the last minute - only the meat man left and even he left her.
Little star she turned out to be - she would be worth a fortune here ';'

celestialdancer

Gold Member
Unbelevable really. Friends of mine on the Island just bought two GC's for 500quid. They're going to go into harness together when they get a bit older, look identical. Something like that pair over here would make you remortgage your house!

Top Bottom