Equilibrium!

Troppo

Hi Wendy,

I am not familiar with the Pat Coleby paddock mix? If you want to send me some info I can let you know what I think - although my expertise is primarily water I do have a background in land management and can give you a few tips.

Firstly though it would depend totally on your soil type - where do you live? what type of soils predominate? What sort of parent material did it originate from? If you were that keen you could get a soil analysis done to work out your mineral and nutrient content, and then work out what sort of pasture would compliment that sort of soil to try and give the neddies their requirements with minimal hard feeding......but there is a lot of money, time and effort involved.

Alternatively and cheaper, I find the best thing to do is utilise peoples experience in your local area - what sort of pasture has people around you got? has it worked, how is it surviving (i.e. does it need a constant water supply, regular fertiliser etc - the less you have to worry about this the cheaper and more environmental)? how do thier stock fare? do they supplement with anything?

Up here, there a few tropical grasses that seem to work well- one guy has cattle who he does not feed anything extra and they are thriving his pasture. I asked what he planted and how it fared - and he is very happy - doesn't have to worry too much about pasture maintenance either. My paddocks are pretty good at the moment - a good mix of grasses and clover, but when I go to reseed, I will be seeding with buffalo clover and the humidicola grass that was in his paddock. However the horses will still get a good quality mineral supplement/paddock block for their requirements.

The most important thing is a good weed maintenance program on the onset of rains to try and kill the weeds and promote good pasture growth, resting your paddocks to let them 'rejuvenate' themselves and reseed - ultimately it is nice to rest a paddock for an entire growth season, but if this is not an option, then rotate between a couple of paddocks. And it is inevitable that your paddocks will need some sort of helping hand every now and then - reseeding after a few years and maybe even some fertiliser.

Anyway I'll shut up now:p

Sorry to hijack the thread Liz!

Mocha

**This is JESSITRIST**
Can somoene please PM me the local mineral mix aswell? Im currently feeding JK Cell Grow.

Wendy

She says this is for free-range paddock horses, not working horses.
25 kg Dolamite
4 kg Copper Sulphate
4 kg Milling Sulphur
4 kg Seaweed Meal
Must be put out in a rain proof container or under cover.

Covers the basics, I would think.

It always amazes me that people who live on a diet of HJs and takeaways, should be so pedantic about their horses diet.

KPF

Hi!

Those that are mentioning professional equine nutrionalists in their posts, would you care to contact me if you are one as I would be interested to learn a little more?

Thanks in advance, finding this thread quite interesting.:)))

Petra

Hi guys.
i recently bought a bag of Equilibrium and my horse doesnt like it i started with small amount to build uo to recommended levels and she left it still
even with Molasses or dampened a little she leaves it in the bottom of her feed bin.
ive now cut it right back to less than 1/2 recommended dose

Any ideas on what to do? the bag was $100
a years worth for 1 horse
My horse won't eat it either. And we can't dampen feed. He won't eat that too. I have tried everything. $100 for this bag. My agistment told me to change to a stop. I

Top Bottom