Connemaras

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by xyzabc, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Garnet produces some very nice ponies too! my friend (the breeder of my two) has a 2yo Connie x TB by palomino stallion Garnet Kavalier (by Glenormiston Thady) out of her lovely chestnut TB mare Jenark Jewel. I'm still waiting for some pics of the young gelding since he lives down south but here's what he was like as a baby
    [​IMG]

And here's his brother born 2 or 3 weeks earlier out of a Connie/TB
    [​IMG]

They look like twins
    [​IMG]

2. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

i think its 14.2 1/2 to be acceptable or they go into the pure sport horse registery

3. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

14.2hh is the height limit for Class 1 ponies, but I've just had a look at the regulations and it seems overheight ponies could be registered in Class 2 as there's mention of a minimum height but no maximum height for this classification. The 'sport' classifications are for partbred with separate sections for pony and horse height, and 1/4 bred.

In case anyone is interested, lol!
    Exerpt from regulations: The Studbook shall consist of three sections referred to as Classes:

Class 1, being purebred stallions and mares aged two years and over which meet the criteria of Regulation 3 and the following additional criteria:-
    (i) Measure between 128cm and 148cm; and
    (ii) Pass visual inspection with three inspectors (stallions) and two inspectors
    (mares).

Class 2, being purebred stallions and mares aged two years and over that do not meet the criteria for Class 1 but meet the criteria of Regulation 3 and the following additional criteria:
    (i) Measure over 128cm but have failed or not been presented for visual inspection;
    (ii) Are progeny of a Class 3 adult registered mare and a Class 1 adult registered stallion; or
    (iii) Are blue eyed creams which have satisfied the above criteria.

Class 3, being ponies that are DNA verified and are:
    (i) Purebred colts and fillies two years of age and over that fail to pass veterinary inspection or measure less than 128cm;
    (ii) Purebred geldings; and
    (iii) Purebred adult ponies which do not satisfy the requirements of Class 1 or
    Class 2.

The Registrar shall keep a Sports Pony/Horse register.
    S (1) For registration of Partbred Ponies with ONE parent in the Studbook the pony being 14.2 hh and under - Stallion, Mare or Gelding.
    S (2) For registration of Partbred Ponies with ONE parent in the Studbook and the pony being over 14.2hh - Stallion, Mare or Gelding
    S (3) For registration of Quarterbred Ponies/Horses of any height with ONE Registered parent in the Sports Pony/Horse Register - Stallion, Mare or Gelding.

So if you are shopping for a pony, look at the pedigree and take note of what class it's parents/grandparents are. Personally I would like to see only Class 1 in anything I bought but would not discount a pony with a young Class 2 dam, she might only be Class 2 because she hasn't been inspected yet and it can be very difficult sometimes to get inspectors out when you need them. It took 6 months to get them out to see my mare as one of them had to come from eastern states.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  4. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

Thanks Nicki but it is not that important to me. I'm after a reliable safe riding horse that is not too tall for me. He is an 8YO gelding and 14.2hh so I think his height is pretty much set now.

5. Meischa

Meischa New Member

Oh, you've got one xyzabc? Do you have piccies?

6. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

I think I should wait til I've confirmed with the seller first!!

But yes, there will be piccies in the next little while. Keep checking back.

7. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

BTW Nicki, those 'twin' boys are spectacular!

8. Meischa

Meischa New Member

I will :) Is he from Garnet Stud or did you find one elsewhere ?

9. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

Nicki, Your mare is a virtual double for a mare I leased way back in the early 80's, in fact I cant see any difference at all. I'd be interested if my old mare apeared in Zara's pedigree anywhere. Her name was Oakdale Tara. I only had her for a year and sadly it was a bit of a love/hate relationship that we had :( She was good in almost every way- her downside was she had learned to buck and pigroot, with the previous leasee, and did so whenever she felt like it, I learned how to fall off really well with her- I was only 12yrs old. When she wasnt bucking she was very very good- she never shied and never got scared. She won many championships at shows too. She certainly never put me off the breed she simply had learned a bad habit that at 12yrs of age, I couldnt fix. I heard a few years on that she had settled right down and become a quiet 'little kids' pony and a broody so I guess she did grow out of it eventually.

10. manocaaron

Just got inspired to look up what I could find about my old girl. She was by Millfields Marchwinds and out of Oakdale Scarlet O'Hara. Foaled in 1979 and guess what? she is, according to the CPBSA still alive out there somewhere at the age of 33!!! I couldnt find if she had any registered foals though- not sure how to best navigate that site.

11. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I suspect your Oakdale Tara was bred by Hazel Pither, I know the Pithers used to breed Connies and many moons ago I worked at Kate Pither's agistment/SJ property which was called Oakdale Farm so I'm guessing that was their stud name too.

My Zara is a dead ringer for her dam, but I just had a look through her pedigree and there's no sign of your old girl's lines. Zara is by Dylan Glen Shamrock (by Glenormiston Mcinnerney Muskerry) out of Homevale Zadia.

12. manocaaron

Thanks Nicky, yes she was definately bred by Hazel Pither. the website doesnt have any links to who is the registered owner any more though... (or am I looking in the wrong spot?)

13. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I'm not sure how you would find that out, might have to get in touch with the secretary and explain you are interested in the whereabouts etc and would like to contact current/last known owner. Although it wouldn't surprise me if she is still alive, there's also the possibility that she passed away and CPBSA wasn't notified. A friend of mine had her mare PTS in the early 90's due to cancer but she is listed as still alive and in her 30's now.

14. manocaaron

yeah I did think that too, it was just that there were a few Oakdales on there and some were listed as deceased and some were not, That is of course presuming they are owned by the same people.

(Sorry to the OP for the slight change in direction of this thread:))

15. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

It's cool! It's kinda answering my questions anyway - they inspire much loyalty so that's a good thing. I'm aiming for a keeper, I don't want to have to on-sell, doing that with this pinto mare is hard enough.

I have 2 elderly Standardbred mares. Luisa is 34 and Astrid is 28, I have had Luisa for almost 32 years and bred Astrid. Keepers are what I'm used to! The fact people are coming here with stories from so long ago of ponies they still remember with affection is useful in itself.

16. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Fingers crossed for you that you've found the right one! They really do get under your skin, such characters and very smart.

I found some pics of my first connie that I had as a kid. After I outgrew him I had two TBs then a WB before more than 10 years without horses. When I was finally horse shopping again I originally thought I'd get another WB but stumbled across the advert for a 15mo Connie x Andy and was intrigued. He was the ugliest yearling but so sweet and clever, my faith in him was rewarded when my ugly duckling turned into a beautiful swan. When his 1/2 sister was born I knew I had to have her as well. Both mine are 'forever' horses too, can't imagine ever selling them.

Here's my old boy Rebel (Tyn-Y-Rhos Carna Rebel) back in 1990 when I was about 14 or 15yo at pony club. He would have been 15yo in these pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hot to Trot

Hot to Trot New Member

Yes, the Pithers bred Connemaras. I had Oakdale Elphin, a Connie/x
    Their stallion was Kenneth (can't remember his prefix)
    I remember Tara being in Forrestfield/Wattle Grove.
    My purebred, Coomel Courage was bred by Muriel Dawkins at her Coomel stud.
    Oakdale Sally Noggin was also at my agistment centre at the time.
    I remember seeing March Winds. He was a dun and so fat when i saw him it was amazing he hadn't foundered. As wide as he was tall :) Courage lived till he was 36..no arthritis and looking forward to every feed!

18. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Kenneth was Connemara Park Kenneth, and was the first purebred Connemara born in Australia, in 1966. Connemara Park Ann was the first Australian-bred purebred filly also in 1966, and was the dam of my old boy in the pics above who was foaled in 1974.

Oakdale Farm was in Maida Vale, and has since been sold but still a very flash agistment centre.

Just a bit of trivia, the first Connemara stallion imported into Aus, Island King, was brought to add movement, bone and scope to the Australian Pony and was originally registered as an Aussie pony.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  19. manocaaron

By Chance you didnt agist Courage in Wanneroo at some time did you? and was he a 'white' grey?

20. Hot to Trot

Hot to Trot New Member

That's the one. He lived in Wanneroo before I bought him. **)