Competition - Win a Portrait for Christmas

Reigate

Thanks Lin,

Guys, your stories and pics are wonderful....... keep em coming........ and geeze, i have only just opened this up.......

:)

Noelle

Gold Member
Wow, some of the stories on here are awesome and inspiring.

What I would like to try, and only if Shell is happy to as this is her thread, and also only if the contributors want to, is put these stories into an electronic book (pdf). It could be emailed to everyone who was interested (providing I can keep the size down).

I am happy to edit the pages (without changing the context), and submit it to the author for okay.

What does everyone think?

R

Remaani

I have too many horses, but when it all boils down to it, 1 of them is super special.... & im glad she's mine!

I started leasing Tares (Simosar Antares) over 1 yr ago, it was to be a 3yr lease but at the beginning of the year, i had the option to buy her & i couldnt of jumped any quicker at the chance!
Of all my horses, Tares is the one that doesnt expect anything in return, i can have a real crap day & sit in the paddock full of my girls, everyone will come up to see what food i have, but not Tares, she'll stay beside me, resting her muzzle on my back.

She cant jump the moon, she's not had some terrible accident & came back fighting, she's not something super under saddle (well she's not broken in :D) (she's done very well at her limited shows), but she's a friend, she stands beside me & listens to me bitch &/or cry without snooping my pockets for food.

She's cheeky, she's annoying but she's something special & if it wasnt for her wonderful breeder, Sarah, she wouldnt be mine. :))

Cheeki

Gold Member
I love hearing Zephs story :) Good on ya Lauren :D

Ok well I'll enter Honey .. :)

I met Honey 3 years ago, by pure chance. My mate mentioned that his mum had "some old horse" out the back that was never used, and that I could possibley ride her and take her to a school riding event. Jumping at the chance, his mum agreed, and I went out to meet her.

There a small herd of horses, all as scruffy as eachother, came over. Leading the pack was Honey - she was as wild as a brumby - her mane was tatty, her feet obviously had not been seen to in years, her coat was wirey and scratch to the touch, but her face was full of confidence and beauty. She walked straight up to us, hesitating a little, but sniffed our hands and took a carrot quite happily. You could see the mother in her, she kept the young horses back until she had her carrot and pat from mum, she knew we were ok, and invited the younger horses in, standing next to them, she gave them confidence to approach us.
"She's yours if you want her" the owner said. I did, more than anything in the world. She had spunk and character, she was a real horse.

The next 6 months was spent trying to bond and educate this little mare, but she wasn't going to do anything without a fight. Trotting around the yard became a fight for the reins, cantering was just a biiig nono. But where she shon the most was her trail riding - never have I ridden a horse so confident out in the bush. Unfortunately, after 8 months with this lovely mare, I had to terminate the free lease to focus on school. This tore me, and I'd often drive past the paddock just to watch her from afar. There was something about her, don't know what.

8 months after not seeing her, I got a phone call. "I'd like to give Honey a better chance in life, she's just sitting in the paddock doing nothing. I dont want to sell her to a home that doesn't get her, she's a very smart and special mare, but you seem to understand this. I'd like you to have her" .. these words couldn't have been sweeter. 2 weeks later, and a LOT of organising, she was mine.

It took 15 mins to get her onto the float, 4 months for her fur to change from wire to baby hair, 5 months for her feet to stop crumbling, 6 months to get rid of the WLD, 8 months for her to just walk without rushing off, and just 1 week for our bond to feel like something. We've done everything together - we go on holidays, we do XC, we go out on trails, we go to Ascot .. she's amazing, and brings happiness :) She plays with the puppy with out-most care, she'll take you for a gallop in the bush, she helps float train, teaches beginners to ride, bucks off the riders who are cruel. She never lies, and always tries. She's 19, and still going strong and acting like a 5 year old. She's always full of energy and up for anything, this mare is one of a kind.

She's changed from the wild scruffy pony that would have gone lame given another few months in the paddock (her feet also had cracks), to a horse that (even tho I'm too tall for) happily and proudly take anywhere and call my best friend :)

I've never ridden or met a horse I could feel completely safe on. Ever.

Reigate

I reckon that sounds really good Noelle........

And the drawing that gets done could be the 'front cover' of the book....... ???? what do you reckon?

Noelle

Gold Member
One for the DPC library, hey Noelle! :)

Sounds ok with me.
Think they would notice if I snuck it in *#)

I reckon that sounds really good Noelle........

And the drawing that gets done could be the 'front cover' of the book....... ???? what do you reckon?
Scary, lol - you were reading my mind

So, if the contributors are happy with that I will start working on it

Talkingshell

Good stories everyone and lovely photos!

I have decided I would find something to enter on the condition that CM Sporthorses isn't the judge to choose which would be the winner, just because Cullen was bred by CM Sporthorses!?

Ok, I'll enter CM Cullen Eachan aka Cullen :)

I have 2 elderly TB geldings, one was just too old to ride and other had foot problems and I had no horse to ride! So begin the search of getting another horse but a baby one because I didn't have much $$$ to spend. As I know horses that are already broken in are just too dear for me so I opted for a baby horse.

I begun the search of Pintos and Palominos with big sizes but somehow on Stockies here, you know who love to brag their babies to show off....oh gee Cullen just caught me with his cute little nose and his proud stance standing (at 4 days old) next to his mum...which have gotten me sold!

When Cullen was older enough to leave his birthplace to travel to Qld which took him over 4 days that begun my partnership with him...there is something special about his breed - Cleveland Bay which I am really hooked on as I know it's one of the 'rare' breeds in the world today!

He has grown into a lovely looking horse who is almost 2 next month, yes he's cheeky sod, he's annoying but he's something special & if it wasn't for his wonderful breeders, he wouldn't be mine.

Cullen is going to be my next dressage superstar...even though he is lazy I am sure!

He has special place in my heart and will never been sold!

supersezabell

you can take mine im happy for that, just will add better piccies when i take them...probably this weekend and i will be adding another horse too!

Noelle

Gold Member
At this stage, and if everyone agrees to include their story, we have 18 horses so far.

Come on, there has to be more great stories out there, would love to read more please !!!!

Reigate

I will submit a couple of our horses for the 'book'......... so if any of our horses appear on this thread, its for the book only - not as entrants! lol....... cos well, I can draw our own horses anytime cant I! :)

As for judging who gets the drawing - Will organise an impartial judging panel :) Got plenty of time to work that out yet :):)

Noelle

Gold Member
That would be great. The more the merrier.

I am slowly doing the pages. I need everyone's email addresses so that the word doc can be emailed. I dont think I can send attachments by pm or stockyard's email facility.:confused:

The pages for Charlie1 and Merrylegs have been okayed. Just need a few others who I have pmed to reply and the rest will happen over the time to when the competition closes.

Come on peoples, time to tell your story :))

supersezabell

SC Milo.

Milo is a very special little pony who has come through hardships and a whole bunch of ups and downs with me to come out on top.

I first got Milo about a yr ago, a hairy little goat....a very skinny pony with the most horrible thick winter coat which was very mottley to the touch. I persisted long and hard over the following yr to get him fit, weight on and the start of muscle. He was also terrified of water to the point of rearing and throwing himself around that i couldnt attempt to wash him at all in the early stages.

I spent long hrs with him everyday building up his trust in me and getting him used to being touched everywhere. Slowly the weight came on as the coat went off and slowly the muscle came with work. He is a very smart pony and quick learner, i initially started off by free lunging him and slowly using voice commands with my body language to teach him "walk", "halt", "trot". We still couldnt wash him though with rearing and leaping around whilst i sponged him! From there we progressed to the lunge line which he accepted very well and after a fair few months of that we progressed to "canter" which we had fights with initially as being fitter in himself he felt good and would try things on!

We then progressed to the introduction of the lunging roller/flappign side reins and a bridle which he accepted beautifully. He went out successfully at shows placing and winning to my surprise as we just went out to expose him.

My proudest, most inspiring moment with Milo was one yesterday our 2nd ever sponge bath and he was the most perfect pony that i couldnt believe it. He stood still whilst i sponged all the water on him and shampooed him then sponged it out including feet and bottom. He was truly accepting of what i had to do with him and didnt spook once.

It shows how much trust he has gotten in me to not hurt him and i found that truly inspiring.

Last edited:

arylin

Spirit

What can I say Spirit is 23 this year and he has been a part of my life for the last 22 years. He is by the Arab Stallion Narbeyda out of a little cross bred mare.
I swapped an old Tb for this skinny little chestnut colt that was totally unhandled as a 12mth old but there was just something about him.
He was run into the back of a float with another colt and dropped off into the yards of his old owners property where he almost died when they halter broke him the old way by choking him down. The rope caught on his neck and they cut it off with seconds to spare I’m told luckily I wasn’t there.
Shortly after that I moved him to his first agistment property on the Sth West Hwy in Pinjarra where kids chased him onto the hwy out of his paddock soon after he was moved there so there was I and the cops looking for this escaped young hardly handled colt that was running free on the Hwy between Pinjarra and Carcoola. I tracked him to the back of Carcoola where he wouldn’t cross the bridge luckily and he was bolting back towards the hwy in his fear. I stood and called and he kept coming straight for me, I refused to move and he slid to a sliding stop inches from my chest and buried his head in my stomach. With only a piece of string my wild colt followed me all the way back to his paddock. He suffered sore feet and a bit of shock but he was OK. It is still this day one of the most amazing moments we have ever shared.
My oldest son and Spirit are the same age Spirits Bday is the 23rd of Sept 1985 and Travis was born on the 23rd of Dec 1985 and grew up together, I educated Spirit by riding him bareback and used to take my son up in front of me for rides and lead him around. At 3 I decided to geld my wild stallion and he was sent to my uncles’ farm for a break for a few months.
When I brought him back he was run with some horses on my partners’ parents property where he sustained a fractured pelvis, all the vets that saw him said put him down he would never recover and I refused. Spirit and I started the slow road to recovery and after months of stabling and walking then a smaller yard the day came for him to be let out. He ran till he was sore but after that he took things so slowly he was soon fine to ride again despite all the vets dire opinions.
Shortly after this my Oh and I brought our own place and Spirit of course moved with us. With one of the bubs in my arms while feeding him one night he pushed me till I was trapped between him and the frame his feedbin was on and he would not get off me. While OH was running to rescue the baby and I a giant 6ft dugite slithered past where I had moments before been standing and the minute that snake was out of the way Spirit moved off me and let me go. He wasn’t hurting me he was making sure the snake didn’t get me I was so shocked and it was too be the first off many such incidents.
I started riding for the guy up the back and we rode past our back boundary every morning Spirit took to running the fence with us he hated me spending time with others.
One day I came home late to hear him screaming hello as normal only this time he didn’t stop. Thinking he was just grumpy as tea was late I kept feeding up the others leaving him till last so that I could spend time with him but he was insistent so I walked to the bank to look down at Spirit standing in a pool of blood and his hind leg seriously injured. He stopped calling out and I ran to call the vet. By the time I got back to him he had started to shake with shock and loss of blood. An operation and many stitches later on the lawn as I once again refused to have him PTS Spirit was heavily bandaged and back on his feet. Bandages changes were hard as he refused to let any one do them except for me and he was quite upset and grumpy with me as it was. To this day I am sure he blames me for the injury, we later worked out he had hooked his hind leg over the stand off electric and as he bolted he took 4 of the stand offs straight off the fence straightening two of them out in the process and the wire had sliced through his leg from the hock almost to the fetlock and only a thin sliver of tendon held together.. When his leg was well enough to leave the bandages off we turned him out for months at a friends place to recover and for the first time in my life I lost the love of my horse. He would walk away from me or walk past me to go to my OH who he always disliked (was jealous of him my OH thought). I was so upset that I ended up bringing him home and together we got over this step in our lives together.
Spirit and I were invited to participate in a commemorative ride from Perth to Harvey of a distance of some 300 kms from memory so despite vets saying he would never recover from his leg injury we started training towards taking part and take part we did. 3 mths pregnant with my youngest child Spirit and I spent a week together along with around 70 other horses, riders and carts wending our way to Harvey through some beautiful scenery and all the back stretches, We galloped up sand hills and meandered down gravel roads. We danced with a friend at the back of the pack cause neither pony wanted to be last as both riders laughed like idiots.
Spirit went to Pony club where he was used by a couple of members prior to travis being old enough to ride him, He has taught a number of kids to ride as he has gotten older and he was an excellent fancy dress competitor putting up with all sorts of costumes and contraptions. He did pony rides when asked, swam at the beach and detested grey ponies with a vengeance but most of all he loved and is loved by his family.
Spirit currently lives at Windal Park on a retirement that he well and truly deserves, he has cheated death more than once and deserves to live his life his way nowdays.

Delrae

Gold Member
I hope you don’t mind if I enter another one, this one is a very special one for us, this is a story of a little horse that has overcome adversity, shown true courage and grit, and just plain refused to die, for months he fought a very hard battle and won, he won the hearts of the vets at Murdoch and many stockies will remember him well.

Met Lindan MG Sirocco, a young 4 year old miniature stallion, fondly known as TJ and his story starts back in February, when he stricken with colic, after a couple of visits from the vet, it was decided to take him to stay at the surgery as he did not seem 100% recovered, whilst there he developed massive oedema’s and deteriated badly.
TJ looked to be in a life threatening state so taking him from the surgery we did a 300km mercy dash to Murdoch not knowing if he would still be alive at the end of the trip.
The vets went immediately into emergency recovery procedure and giving TJ only 5% chance, we were not expecting much especially as it was now the weekend and Murdoch had limited resources, but TJ rallied and on the Monday further tests were taken to show that he had a serious bacterial toxicity, the probable cause was from the needle site, this clostridium was resistant to the antibiotics that he was on and he was quickly changed to Gentamycin.
TJ was at this stage extremely ill, he had massive elevated heart rate and putrefied skin ran down his neck, chest and under his belly. TJ fought hard every step of the way so we decided to soldier on with him, it wasn’t long before we found that the damage was far greater than we thought, it was not only the skin he lost but massive muscle damage too.
TJ was a model patient, excepting everything that was done to him without any resistance, he became the vets and the student’s favourite and many get well cards and gifts hung on his door. To add to TJ’s woes he developed severe stress laminitis to the point were the vets thought he might lose his hooves and he gave us yet another thing to stress over, they made him special sponge shoes which he wore everywhere and believe it or not, after 14 weeks he had recovered enough to be able to come home, we made a homecoming youtube about him, we called it TJ’s journey
It didn’t end there as TJ was on strict homecare and bandaging which, after 6 months from his initial infection we were finally able to stop.
Before this happened TJ was a Supreme winning stallion, winning at state shows and Royals with his previous owners, unfortunately we did not have the chance to take TJ too many shows and sadder still we did not get any of those beautiful “brag” photos unfortunately with all his scarring etc we will never be able to.
TJ is our pride and joy and to see him honing around the paddock full of life and zest is magical, we are very proud of our “little aussie battler”

TJ in better times

TJ's journey for those that missed it
YouTube - TJ"s Journey

Last edited:

samm

Gold Member
I'd like to enter my daughters pony for my daughter Emma.
Emma said mum can you write it cos she has trouble with her spelling due to dyslexia,but I said she had to try.So here goes in Emma's words with a little spelling correction from mum........

Pud is the best pony.She is friendly and she loves carrots.She lets me ride her and she is fun to show .Pud won the night of stars liberty and I have a lovely garland in my room that she won.
I like going out and spending time with Pud as she loves me(doesn't she mum).She follows me around the paddock.Lots of people say they want to steal Pud but Pud wouldn't like to go and live with them as she likes it here with me.
So there you have it in the words of a nearly 11 yr old and she took this photo of Pud herself,I didn't take it....

I'd like to enter my daughters pony for my daughter Emma.
Emma said mum can you write it cos she has trouble with her spelling due to dyslexia,but I said she had to try.So here goes in Emma's words with a little spelling correction from mum........

Pud is the best pony.She is friendly and she loves carrots.She lets me ride her and she is fun to show .Pud won the night of stars liberty and I have a lovely garland in my room that she won.
I like going out and spending time with Pud as she loves me(doesn't she mum).She follows me around the paddock.Lots of people say they want to steal Pud but Pud wouldn't like to go and live with them as she likes it here with me.
So there you have it in the words of a nearly 11 yr old and she took this photo of Pud herself,I didn't take it....
awww sweety thats lovely and dont worry about your spelling try your best and thats all that matters. :)* we can all tell how much your darling little pony means to you and what a great team you guys make :)* your a very lucky girl with a gorgeous pony as your friend. lovely pic

Noelle

Gold Member
I am getting through peoples' posts slowly. Most people have let me know their email address except for a couple (hint hint Webby @) ). Maybe we might get a few more entries???????

Top Bottom