Cape Tulip Weed control

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Raw Prawn, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

How can this weed be eradicated????

We have spent many many weeks over the past 16 years pulling out the weeds by hand (a 4 acre paddock) and get about 90% of it out this way - ensuring we get the bulb as well and pulling out before they flower. However after so many years we dont seem to be making any progress #(

Are there any sprays that can be used? Who is the best person to contact to get it done professionally. I contacted the Ag dept and they were not very helpful :(

There are no horses on the paddock at the moment and wont be for another 2 years - perfect time to get it under control!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. domingo

domingo Active Member

we spray 'brush off'. Every year there are less, but it takes lots of years :( to completely get rid of them. You can also try and see if you find someone who can treat them with a wiper. That way, only the cape tulip leaves get the herbicide. (Brush off 'kills' clover as well).

Trying to find someone is the more difficult thing. Around here it only works via word of mouth.

Good luck

3. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

There are two types of cape tulip, one leaf and two leaf. Sometimes you may have both. Chlorsulfuron, metsulfuron and spinnaker mixed with glyphosate are several choices of cocktail :) Repeat applications the following year are required.

If you've been pulling them out by hand, it may or may not have been effective, depending on whether the corms had formed cormils yet (2 leaf variety). You may just have been making room for next years crop :(

4. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Cape Tulip has a 7 year "seed" (cormil) bank. Don't pull them out - kill 'em with chemicals! And be prepared to think you've got on top of it, only to find heaps more come up after a good wet winter (we are dealing with exactly that at our place now).
    The Ag Dept has a good Farmnote on controlling Cape Tulip - go here:
    Department of Agriculture and Food - Category Search and click on Farmnote 213.

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

And you have to spray prior to flowering for the chemical to work the most effectively on the bastard weed!!**)

6. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

ARGH I cant believe we have done all that hard work over the past 16 years and it has just been making it worse!!!

Thanks very much for all the information :))

7. mitch

mitch New Member

Hello, I have been battling cape tulip on my kangaroo island property for many years now. I think probably the only way I will get on top of it is to, burn the paddocks as soon as total fire ban ends, till or plough the area, seed the area with something I can roll or bale, eg a ryegrass or oats, find a suitable pre emergent "read up on these, and contact someone like elders or your nearest livestock, farm, ag, company. Boom spray the pre emergent with marking dye, wait for germination of crop, boom spray , if necessary, any emerging corms with a broadleaf herbicide, like mcpa, brush off or allie, to name a few, cut and bale or let livestock in when all clear. Grubbing, glyphosite and slashing will not work. Keep in mind most broadleaf sprays take four to six weeks to work, so are of no use whilst your target is flowering. It is a serious pest, so I suggest investigating a small but hard hitting cropping program in tune with your season. Blanket wipers are proving to be relatively successful "short term". I generally avoid total knockdown as this just creates more growing room for weed seed germination. Hope this helps, Regards Mitch, sth Australia. p.s , indeginous tribes used to boil cape tulip to make poison when needed, so it is bloody damaging to livestock, as I have witnessed to many times, so be extra vigilant with those horses and ponies, CHEERS!

8. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

GLEEN is the only thing that will kill them.:)

I have it in my horse paddock and have NEVER had a horse eat the stuff yet-and i have many horses!!

9. Steve the Farmer

Steve the Farmer New Member

Weedwipers work well on cape tulip and it saves spraying your pasture. I have used the Redback weedwiper and on cape tulip the kill rate has been around 90-95%