Any sheep experts?

Cindywolf

I wanted to ask a sheep related question. I own a good bit of sheep and I’ve been having problems with them limping and getting very sick. I believe they have foot rot but Im not sure. I have had vets tell me that it was that but it doesn’t not help at all and it’s very expensive for not only their visit but the medicine as well. I’m very desperate as I’ve had vets come to take a look and all they do is charge me about $300-$400 and not do anything but give them the same chemical solution that I’ve already tried. I have tried soo many methods to help them. I’ve tried so many methods to help their feet but they are still limping. I’ve tried to fertilize my property as some people have told me it’s because of my grass that they limp that way and get sick but as before they are still limping and it’s honestly very frustrating to see that. They eat very well every day as well. I keep their little space where they sleep very clean. When I have purchased sheep from other people they don’t seem to have this problem, they are fine and healthy. As soon as I buy them and bring them to my house they start going sick and they start limping. I just want an answer as to why that keeps happening. I have spent soo much money trying to buy them medicine and trying to keep them from getting sick. I have asked soo many people as well and not one has given me a solid answer. This is a very big problem that I need to resolve because it’s a source of income and I can’t keep having them die and get infected and sick.

southwardKIWI

1. Maintain their hooves properly.
    You want to provide a dry surface for your sheep to walk on the majority of the time and helps to avoid things like foot rot. If it isn't possible for your sheep to spend time on dry surfaces you'll need to cut or pare away any excess horn (which is what their hooves are made out of).[4]
    • Make sure that when you do cut at the dead horn that you don't cut deep into sensitive tissue. This can cause bleeding and infection in the sheep.
    • In dry weather you want to trim their hooves every six weeks or so, more in wet weather. Start by digging out dirt from the toes. Trim away excess nail parallel to the lines of hoof growth. Pare the heels to the same level as the soles of the toes. Take away excess nail tissue around each toe. With a wood rasp, make the hoof flat from the sole of the foot forward.
    • Foot rot is a problem specific to sheep and goats. It's more frequent with animals who walk on damp or wet ground. Their hooves soften which makes it easier for bacteria to get in. Foot rot can cause severe pain and lameness and usually stays in the pasture around 12 days. Separate infected sheep from the flock (you'll notice a foul smell). Pare the hoof to remove excess horn, and apply antiseptic agents.

2. https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Sheep#/Image:Care-for-Sheep-Step-12.jpg

Top Bottom