Agistment Insurance - Help!

M796

Hi. I'm just after some advice. I have recently purchased a property that has agistment on the property already. I have purchased public liability insurance for agistment services - but this doesn't cover riding, training, breaking etc. The insurance underwriters never seem to be able to answer a question directly. The concern I have is if an owner is moving a horse from one paddock to another will the insurer claim it is being exercised if am incident occurs with a third party?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
you will definitely need to have the owners sign a legal waiver to release you of any liability.

I would engage the services of a good lawyer to ensure that your waiver will stand up in court if tested. You can't be too careful these days!

M796

you will definitely need to have the owners sign a legal waiver to release you of any liability.

I would engage the services of a good lawyer to ensure that your waiver will stand up in court if tested. You can't be too careful these days!
Thank you. The horse owners have agreed not to ride on the property (there are bridal trails opposite the property in the national park).
I think the insurers don't make things particularly clear. Can you exercise the horse from the ground? The insurance doesn't mention it? What constitutes exercise? It's also a shame insurance companies don't make it clear and seem to keep things very ambiguous!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. The horse owners have agreed not to ride on the property (there are bridal trails opposite the property in the national park).
I think the insurers don't make things particularly clear. Can you exercise the horse from the ground? The insurance doesn't mention it? What constitutes exercise? It's also a shame insurance companies don't make it clear and seem to keep things very ambiguous!
typical insurance company, I would still have owners sign a legal waiver. :)

M796

I have some formal contracts. It's unfortunate it has come to this but I know how insurance companies work and the first thing they'll do is look at the property owner to seek a recovery if they can show there was any negligence. It's actually making me think about asking people to leave and just leaving the paddocks empty as it's not worth the hassle.

Any advice / recommendations on insurance companies would be welcomed

Top Bottom