AARGH Hay mites!!!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by mav, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mav

mav Well-known Member

argh i am covered in hay mite bites - i literally mean covered!! front, back, legs, arms neck the works. and worse i think im having a bit of a reaction to them as they are all quite inflamed and blooming hot to touch :(

have taken a telfast and covered myself in soov cream but anyone have any suggestions on what i can use?

and how do i get rid of them in the hay shed?

oh dear lord im ripping myself open with scratching :cry:

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Burn the Hay and if possible the shed. That is the way to get rid of them.

I bet you are only having a normal reaction to them as well - the worst bastads ever!

If you somehow feel you need to handle the hay, cover with clothes ALA Muslim style and any bits left showing liberally coat in aeroguard or similar.

Feeling your pain petal.

3. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Argh I had this just last week!!!

SOOOOOOOOO BAD!! They are the worst ever, so embarrassing as mine were all Down my arms in big Welty hot red lumps..

4. mav

mav Well-known Member

:cry::cry: noooo nanny - i was hoping for a quick fix :cry::cry:

is it too late to add aeroguard now?

5. mav

mav Well-known Member

i have them on my boobs - unconciously scratching them at coles until i noticied a lady staring at me wierdly and realised what i was doing :eek:

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hay mites :unsure:

Can't say I've ever heard of them ';'

7. mav

mav Well-known Member

ill share them!! like mossie bites but so much worse...

8. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Active Member

When we had them I got told to use ascabiol- a lotion for scabies :eek:
    It seemed to help, I used to paint it on with a pastry brush- fun times :D
    not an experience I want to go through again

9. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I'll have your hay mites any day, gotta be better than the seven baby ticks I had to deal with last night. I have a constant battle against the buggers and tick bites itch for weeks. Hay mites only give me smallish itcy lumps for a day or so.

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Agh they are the worst! Only had them once but was absolutely covered in them

11. Rivvy

Rivvy Active Member

we had them a couple of years ago, worst things ever, had to end up burning all the hay from the hay shed and the bits in it. I used calamine lotion and a antihystimine a non drowsy one.

12. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

Mav I feel you pain (or itch as it may be) ive had them like that before, I found a product called stop itch to work well and also standing in the shower! Though having 3 and 4 showers a night (incl at midnight and 2-3 am) got a bit old.

13. Silverbuck

Silverbuck Active Member

Sulfur Dust will help get rid of them from your shed. We use it around here. It is also good for getting lice of livestock. Good luck mate :)

14. Gold Rush

Gold Rush Well-known Member

Aargh, hay mites, I had trouble with these horrible things a few months ago, the chemist suggested antihistimine tablets and anti itch cream.
    I also found that rubbing ice blocks over the bites helped as well.
    They are something I never want again & I feel your pain!:(

15. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

I had a bad reaction to some sort of insect bite last year and Phenergan helped to stop the itch ... But it does make you very drowsy :blink:

16. 7notHeaven

7notHeaven Active Member

Funny you say this equislave, have been battling baby ticks for the last two weeks, just a couple everyday, so now I'm liberally sprinkled with itchy bites :mad: BUT 3 days ago I came down with a bad fever and now I am covered in red itchy rash which the doctor has said looks like a viral infection but he has taken bloods to check it out, should know my results in the morning. I have never been this sick, just typing this is pushing me physically but I have to be exhausted to sleep through the itching :cry: Anyway find where they are living and kill them if possible!!! :shoot:

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Is it usual with hay mites for only one person to be affected? I have had a message from the lady who feeds for us in the evening to bait for mice as she is getting bitten by hay mites. Not sure how that will help as we don't have a mouse plague or anything (hay shredded for 18 months only shows minor signs of being eaten by mice thanks to the barn cat - and probably the snake I saw in the shed the other week LOL). I have also never heard of mice causing the mites.

The thing that confuses me though is my mum and I are handling the same hay and we aren't getting bitten.

18. mav

mav Well-known Member

hi mirrawee @)

from what i am guessing you may be being bitten but not realising it. my mate and i who both handle the same hay at the same time each morning have both been bitten - her once or twice and they are barley visible little lumps and me covered in them and itchy as hell!! i think its like mossie bites - some get alot of bites and others have barely any.

anyway visited dr yesterday as was itching so bad i was almost in tears and it takes alot to get me that worked up... anyway not only am i covered in these bites they have now started to get infected. so am on steriod cream, steriod tabs and once they are done antibiotics to combat any infection. took first lot of steriod tabs last night and have felt physically ill all night :dry: cant win :(

anyway have looked into sulfer dust and will be trialling that... threatened my agistment lady to burn down her shed (in a very joking manner :p ) and am liberally applying aeroguard whenever i go to the stables... gonna smell charming at work but at least i wont be scratching whilst chatting to customers **)

its a good thing i love my horses so much :wub:

19. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Well if we are getting bitten we aren't getting any lumps at all and in the past I have gotten bad itchy red lumps from hay mites :p

20. monomeeth

monomeeth Well-known Member

Argh! Sevennotheaven, read up on Lyme Disease! Do not let the doctor tell you that it isn't in Australia. Do not let the doctor tell you that the test is negative so you are fine. False negatives are very very common. Lyme disease is in Oz and you need to get to a Doc who will give you a course of Doxycycline, a long one, before the bacteria that cause Lyme Disease can settle in. A rash and fever is considered classic for the beginning of this disease, though actually less than half of the people with lyme even remember a tick bite or rash. Being exhausted by nothing is another symptom.

Lyme Disease Association of Australia | Together we can fight Lyme Disease and win

Please do some reading and get onto this. You don't want to be sick and getting sicker for ten years with no diagnosis like I was.

Hugs,

Mono