Go Back   Stockyard Horse Discussion Forums > Horses and Ponies > Feeding Horses

Horses eating Grapevines

Feeding Horses Thread, Horses eating Grapevines in Horses and Ponies; Has anyone done or know about any research into horses eating grapevines? My pony loves to eat them (the leaves ...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Advanced Member
 
OBHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gosnells.
Posts: 4,466
Send a message via Skype™ to OBHH
Default Horses eating Grapevines

Has anyone done or know about any research into horses eating grapevines? My pony loves to eat them (the leaves and growing grape buds), are they detrimental in anyway.
__________________
Proudly sposored by Magic Browbands.
Its Not what you win, BUT who you beat!!
OBHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Advanced Member
 
Zegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Henely Brook
Posts: 2,046
Default

Question : Is your pony dead yet ? If not the probaly fine

Horses/ponies dont usually eat plants that will harm them so if you pony has sufferd no ill effect i would asume they would be ok.

My boy loves grapes and he has been having them for years

Grape leaves are edible to humans, but they are usually steamed or cooked, this probably dissolves the crysolith hairs,(the furry bits, which are generally not that stout). So there could be a possible slight stomach reaction by Horses, if they gorge themselves on it

Zegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South West Western Australia
Posts: 5,561
Default

grape seeds cause bleeding and gut problems in dogs. My mothers dog was put down because of what was assumed to be intestinal cancer. She used to pick teh grapes off the grape vine and Mum later read somethgn that said grape seed will cause intestinal bleeding
Dont know if it does hte same in horses.

I wouldnt believe that horses rarely eat things poisonous. Have heard too many stories of poisoned horses to trust that one.
Sugar's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Advanced Member
 
Zegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Henely Brook
Posts: 2,046
Default

Yeah in dogs they can prove fatal
Zegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Advanced Member
 
Caroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bakers Hill WA
Posts: 3,390
Exclamation

Horses do go well on grapevines! Grape seed extract is a very powerful anti-oxidant that has been proven with its benefits thru an Honours project at Muresk @ Curtin University.

Also, a South Australian company are producing and selling a low GI , high fibre pellet based on grape seeds and skins for horses called Smart Feed. So yes, it is safe to feed! The feed product is under the ProVine label!ProVine - Smart Feed - (Horse feed)
__________________
Horses can only communicate through behaviour. The worse the behaviour, the dumber the owner. Mr HP.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Ali
Advanced Member
 
Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kanmantoo South Australia
Posts: 4,784
Talking

Seems that some horses take a liking to widening their taste buds LOL. When I had my horses at home if I let them out to graze around the house block they used to stand and eat a huge bamboo plant that was growing there, they loved it. I was thinking of painting one of the horses black and white and selling them to Perth zoo as a panda!
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Sim
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,191
Default

My horses eat grevillea (sp????) which worries me because I think it contains the active ingredient of pyrethrum (sp again?????). Any ideas???
Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Advanced Member
 
Late Starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aubin Grove
Posts: 2,603
Default

Our pony Cecil we used to have when let out to roam would gorge himself on the apricot tree... he spent a majority of his time under it eating them off the tree.
__________________
*******************************
22/11/12 RIP Scott - I miss you
Late Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Advanced Member
 
Troppo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Humpty Doo, NT
Posts: 2,187
Default

Ome of my paddocks has a huge palm looking thing but its not a palm. everytime I let them in there they eat it. They haven't died yet
__________________
Can I just go home and ride my horse?
Troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Classifieds | How To Advertise | Terms Of Use | Juke Box | Home Page

Copyright © Stockyard Classifieds Pty Ltd - All rights reserved.