Go Back   Stockyard Horse Discussion Forums > Horses and Ponies > Feeding Horses

Colloidal Silver

Feeding Horses Thread, Colloidal Silver in Horses and Ponies; Who knows much about it? Anyone recommend a dosage for horses?...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
HalcyonStables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Colloidal Silver

Who knows much about it? Anyone recommend a dosage for horses?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Advanced Member
 
Seahorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,140
Default

Do a quick search of the forums, this has come up a couple of times
Seahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Advanced Member
 
Valiente Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Serpi
Posts: 735
Thumbs up

Hi there,
I am a real big fan of colloidal silver and have used it many times. It does [i]suffucate[i] single cell organism (bacteria and fungus) and therefore these bacteria cannot get immune against it - unlike antibiotics. The dosage for a average size horse given internally to address fungus and bacteria is approx 30 - 40 mil (depends how much you spill ). It has to be surringed directly into the mouth as otherwise it looses its effect! As it kills the good and the bad bacteria so you will [b]have to put friendly bacteria back [b] as otherwise your problem will be back in no time. You will have to do it over a minimum period of at least 3-5 days. Externally sprayed on it does the same, it kills bacteria and therefore good to spray on open wounds - and it doesen't sting. You can also spray it on ulcers in the eye - I know it sounds horrible and your horse probably won't like it but if you have worked your horse on being relaxed when you spray it shouldn't be too bad.
Absolutly great stuff - of course I got it too in my shop and you can buy it in many pharmcies or health food stores. Antibiotics have there place and so has colloidal silver - big fan here!
Valiente Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Advanced Member
 
Valiente Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Serpi
Posts: 735
Default

yep, thats what I do! I give it after I have finished CS - as otherwise you kill the friendlies again with the CS. I start of 2-3 days in a row protexin and then every 3 day and then maybe once or twice a week to encourage the gut flora. Every now and then protexin I believe doesn't harm them at all but you don't want them to depend on it all the time, it gets costly. But particularly after worming, before events etc (as well race horses) it could calm them down too. It is like inner health for the horse.
Oh, forgot to say you need to give CS twice a day.
Valiente Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Advanced Member
 
Caroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bakers Hill WA
Posts: 3,390
Exclamation

I have never heard that you need to reintroduce good bacteria after using CS?? CS only attacks infectious/foreign organisms; that is why it has less side affects than ABs.

I would not be recommending anyone sprays anything into an ulcerated eye either, as blindness can happen so easily with damaged or infected eyes. Consult a vet first, and only use what is prescribed!!!

CS is fine to add to drinking water or mixed in feeds. Up to 50ml daily is fine, but I would only use it periodically for 2 - 3 weeks. Eg.- sickness, poor immune system, EI supp. etc.
__________________
Horses can only communicate through behaviour. The worse the behaviour, the dumber the owner. Mr HP.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Advanced Member
 
Valiente Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Serpi
Posts: 735
Default

I disagree there Caroline, it is very important to introduce friendly bacteria after using CS as it kills the good and the bad and therefore the good need to be put back again. It is like when people take antibiotics, it is recommended to take inner health.
As putting CS in drinking water or feed doesn't do anything. Most CS you get has 25ppm, meaning particles per million - when you put it into the water you got basically got nothing left.
As ulcers in the eye, I agree, you consult a vet first, it probably is said to much to recommend to take it into your hands without asking a proffessional. I have used it many times on my horses on open wounds, let it dry and then put the appropriate cream or whatever to encourage the healing process.
I have had brilliant results with colloidal silver, and not only with my horses and family but with many clients.
Valiente Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Maree4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boddington WA
Posts: 8,541
Default

Colloidal Silver Manufacturers Resellers & Suppliers For Australia & The UK
This may help with some info on colloidal silver......It is absolutely brilliant stuff and i have used it lots of times, on wounds and in feeds.
__________________
Aim for progression not perfection
Maree4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Advanced Member
 
Valiente Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Serpi
Posts: 735
Default

Thanks Maree, thats the one. Sutton's and Pierson's is the same one, same manufacturer, just different name and price.
Valiente Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Advanced Member
 
Caroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bakers Hill WA
Posts: 3,390
Question

Thanks Maree!! Some great background info, but I could not find anywhere "good bacteria must be reintroduced after a course of CS" stated on the site???
__________________
Horses can only communicate through behaviour. The worse the behaviour, the dumber the owner. Mr HP.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Maree4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boddington WA
Posts: 8,541
Default

I just spoke to mum who is freinds with the people who made it and you DO NOT have to replace good bacteria. Colloidal silver is the only antibiotic that doesn't kill off the good bacteria, you can not feed or use too much, it can be used safely internally or externally.
__________________
Aim for progression not perfection
Maree4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Classifieds | How To Advertise | Terms Of Use | Juke Box | Home Page

Copyright © Stockyard Classifieds Pty Ltd - All rights reserved.