Go Back   Stockyard Horse Discussion Forums > Horses and Ponies > Breeding Horses

External Pregscan Animark

Breeding Horses Thread, External Pregscan Animark in Horses and Ponies; Originally Posted by colibanqh Is she a QH? nope this mare is a stock horse...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Advanced Member
 
nklpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coolup WA
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibanqh View Post
Is she a QH?
nope this mare is a stock horse
__________________
www.freewebs.com/nickelpark/
nklpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVP View Post
I had a brief look on the Animark site and can't find any referrence to it being able to detect twinning. So a vet is most likely going to be needed for the 'regular' version ultrasound to determine twins.
Quote:
A fully external ultrasound unit used for the detection of pregnancy in mares and cows. When aimed at the uterus, the display will show clearly if the animal is pregnant or not. Sophisticated electronics combined with digital output make interpretation easy and straightforward. You can identify pregnancy in Mares as early as 14 days and in Cows at 22 days after breeding. The Pregscan is 100% accurate at detecting pregnancy, with as little as 1 minute required per animal. The instrument can also be used to detect twins, cysts, tumors and other abnormalities.
From the Animark website.
Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
KPF
Advanced Member
 
KPF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Burekup, Western australia
Posts: 1,757
Default

ok I am now asking the boss man if we can get one!!!
__________________
Kendhall Park Friesians, breeding quality riding type Friesians and Friesian Sporthorses.
KPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
Advanced Member
 
HarleyQH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 553
Default

If you know what your looking at that is?? Cysts or embryo hmm. However if scanned and there seemed to be two of something professional advice can be taken. Animark are Good systems quite expensive but then so are vets BCF imaging also do an external system but not sure of price. The pregscanner didn't work that well on our solid mare as I found out with one of my girls waited and did the pregnmare blood test and yep positive and now have a lovely colt.
Interesting threat has made me think a little more about it
__________________
www.harleyqh.com
HarleyQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newdegate, WA
Posts: 9,074
Talking

It doesn't detect embryos as such. It works on a difference of a tone between a fertilised and empty uterus.
All mares are different, so ideally the pregscan should be used 3 times (between 14-21, 35-40, 55-60 days) after breeding.
In our personal experience some mares change the uterus tone slower than others. Then we wait a week and rescan. To be honest we never scanned post 35 days. It takes some time to practice where to put a probe, and to figure out what actually you are looking at (all you see is spikes) it depends where spikes appear, are they permanent and how long are they to determin if a mare is in foal or not. We have a good handle on how to detect an early prgnancy. With pregnancy developing and uterus getting larger, you should readjust a position of the probe then you should also learn to read the screen again, coz it will be different.
It also shows scar tissue, but how would you decipher it as such if a mare hasn't been internally ultrosounded before? It doesn't come as writing on the screen :" scar tissue". Same with cysts.
Spikes are all you see.
__________________
Tru Blu Texan(imp)
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
KPF
Advanced Member
 
KPF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Burekup, Western australia
Posts: 1,757
Default

mmm...sounds too hard for me....
__________________
Kendhall Park Friesians, breeding quality riding type Friesians and Friesian Sporthorses.
KPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
wattle6180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SOR
Posts: 13,587
Send a message via MSN to wattle6180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibanqh View Post
It doesn't detect embryos as such. It works on a difference of a tone between a fertilised and empty uterus.
So....like an echosounder? Like...the wave is bouncing back off the solidity of the embryo rather than the empty uterus? Just curious, but can see how that would work...but not detect the difference (as stated above) between the cause of the solidity. Obviously, after mating....the breeder would be assuming it's the embryo, so that would be the positive result?
__________________
Cut the noose and let it loose with the Prancercise gallop!
wattle6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #28
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newdegate, WA
Posts: 9,074
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattle6180 View Post
So....like an echosounder? Like...the wave is bouncing back off the solidity of the embryo rather than the empty uterus? Just curious, but can see how that would work...but not detect the difference (as stated above) between the cause of the solidity. Obviously, after mating....the breeder would be assuming it's the embryo, so that would be the positive result?
Wattle
I am not sure in all technicalities of how it works... Science wasn't my strongest subject
but I presume that the tone of the uterus changes when pregnancy occurs. May be walls become thicker, may be there are fluids in the walls, I don't know,
EVP, do you know the answer to that one?
but if you scan an empty mare, then breed it and rescan her, the spike pattern would be different if she is in foal. That's why I can't understand how it could detect twinning.
Coming to think about it, a pregnant uterus should feel different. Our vet is able to tell if the mare is pregnant on day 14 without ultrusounding her, only by feel.
__________________
Tru Blu Texan(imp)

Last edited by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud; 01-11-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: addition
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #29
EVP
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,406
Default

Quote:
The Pregscan is 100% accurate at detecting pregnancy, with as little as 1 minute required per animal. The instrument can also be used to detect twins, cysts, tumors and other abnormalities.
Quote:
This unit is specifically calibrated to recognize the tissue change upon conception in large animals. With sophisticated electronics and digital output, the Pregscan is 98% accurate at detecting pregnancy.
Both of these statements refer to the same instrument. Although the Complete Instruction Manual has no mention of its ability to detect twins.

Having read how the machine works.........*simplified*... pregnant uterus thickens to protect embryo therefore echos differently, empty uterus shows no changes or thickening so no echos....I fail to see how it can detect twins because there is no visual, just an echo that translates into bar signals on a screen.....a thickened uterus is a thickened uterus?
Considering the ambigious claims of 100% & 98% taking a average of both figures you get 99%.....lolol With my easy access to vets the 1% chance would be better served as $$ in his pocket.
When they invent an external one with true visual screening as with standard kits......I just might buy one!
EVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #30
Gold Member (5,000 posts)
 
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newdegate, WA
Posts: 9,074
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVP View Post
Both of these statements refer to the same instrument. Although the Complete Instruction Manual has no mention of its ability to detect twins.
Having read how the machine works.........*simplified*... pregnant uterus thickens to protect embryo therefore echos differently, empty uterus shows no changes or thickening so no echos....I fail to see how it can detect twins because there is no visual, just an echo that translates into bar signals on a screen.....a thickened uterus is a thickened uterus?
Considering the ambigious claims of 100% & 98% taking a average of both figures you get 99%.....lolol With my easy access to vets the 1% chance would be better served as $$ in his pocket.
When they invent an external one with true visual screening as with standard kits......I just might buy one!
We have thoroughly studied the manual before we attempted our own scans. There is no mention of detection twinning.
I wish we could learn what to look for when twins occur (if it does detect it)
When you scan 5-6 mares you know are in foal (after teasing them up for no signs), then it is relatively easy to learn a pattern of the spikes.
The statement is correct, it does take a minute or two to scan a mare.
I recon it was money well spent in our situation.
It is a great gadjet for a stud (like us) to save $$ on scans and your own foot work bringing mares in and out for teasing or for the vet.
__________________
Tru Blu Texan(imp)
Coliban Quarter Horse Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Classifieds | How To Advertise | Terms Of Use | Juke Box | Home Page

Copyright © Stockyard Classifieds Pty Ltd - All rights reserved.