Zucchini Recipes

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by hellokitty, Jan 13, 2010.

1. hellokitty

hellokitty Well-known Member

I have millions of zucchinis growing in my vegie garden. Im kinda sick of zucchini slice, so does anyone else have some tasty recipes to share with me so i can use up these darn vegies!!

Oh and yes i give away as many as i can!

2. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

You could do stuffed zucchinis! :)*

i don't have a receipe for them though but a friend made them for me and they were really good and something different to zucchini slice.

3. horseylover

horseylover New Member

I have loads of recipies for Zucchini :)

Zuchini and Caramalised Onion Lasagna
    2 tbs olive oil
    3 large onions, finely sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 kg green zucchini, sliced
    Salt and pepper
    200ml cream
    100g parmesan, finely grated
    1 tbs chopped dill, finely chopped
    Fresh lasagne sheets

Method
    Preheat oven to 170°C. Put 1 tbs olive oil, 3 large onions, finely sliced, and 2 garlic cloves, crushed, in a large frying pan. Cook over a medium heat for 15 mins or until caramelised. Remove from pan. Set aside to cool. Put another 1 tbs olive oil in the same pan.
    Cook 1 kg sliced green zucchini until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Combine 200ml cream, 100g finely grated parmesan and 1 tbs finely chopped dill. Line an ovenproof baking dish with fresh lasagne sheets, trimming to fit.
    Top with onion, zucchini and one-quarter of the cream mixture. Repeat layers 3 times, finishing with a pasta sheet and cream mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.

Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    18 male or female zucchini flowers
    8 kalamata olives, halved, pitted
    2 anchovies
    8 small basil leaves
    200g fresh ricotta
    Vegetable or light olive oil, for deep-frying
    Lemon wedges, to serve
    Batter
    2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
    1 tbs olive oil
    150ml chilled light beer
    1 eggwhite

Method
    Holding a zucchini flower, use your thumbs to gently make a split in flower. Use your fingertips to snap off and discard yellow stamens in centre of flower. Repeat with remaining flowers.
    Finely chop olives, anchovies and basil. Place in a bowl with ricotta and season to taste with pepper. Spoon a teaspoonful of ricotta mixture into centre of each flower, then twist petal ends to enclose. For batter, place flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Add oil and beer then whisk until a smooth batter forms. In another bowl, whisk eggwhite until soft peaks form then gently fold into batter.
    Line a tray with paper towels. One-third fill a deep saucepan or deep-fryer with oil, then heat over medium heat until 180ºC, or a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds. Working in batches of 4, dip flowers, 1 at a time, into batter, allowing excess to drain off, then deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to tray. Repeat with remaining flowers and batter. Scatter with salt and serve with lemon wedges.

corn Bacon and Zucchini Soup
    Ingredients (serves 6)
    30g butter
    4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
    4 short-cut bacon rashers, halved lengthways, cut into thin strips
    3 (about 450g) zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
    1 x 420g can corn kernels, drained
    2 x 420g cans creamed corn
    500ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
    Crusty bread, to serve

Method
    Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until shallot is golden. Add the zucchini and cook for 1 minute.
    Stir in the corn kernels, creamed corn and stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.

Zucchini Cakes - these are beautiful!!!!

Ingredients
    2 medium (280g) zucchini, coarsely grated
    1 medium (160g) carrot, coarsely grated
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups self-raising flour
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    80g packet dry-roasted pecan nuts
    Cream cheese frosting
    50g unsalted butter, softened
    100g cream cheese, softened
    2 teaspoons finely-grated orange rind
    1 3/4 cups icing sugar mixture

Method
    Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases. Squeeze excess moisture from zucchini and carrot. Drain on paper towel.
    Using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar in a large bowl for 5 minutes or until mixture is pale. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir through zucchini and carrot.
    Combine flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a bowl. Sift over egg mixture. Add pecans. Stir well to combine. Divide mixture among paper cases. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of one cake comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes. Remove cakes to a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
    Make cream cheese frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese and orange rind until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until well combined.
    Spread icing over cakes. Serve.

4. hellokitty

hellokitty Well-known Member

Yummo! Thanks for those horseylover!!!! will get cracking on some of those!:)*

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Kitty, just Google, Millions out there

6. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

How about Ratatouille?
    1 med onion chopped finely
    2 zucchini halved lengthways then sliced thinly
    mixed herbs to taste (fresh from garden better)
    2 tins chopped tomatoes (or fresh if you are getting a glut of those too)
    2 tbsp Tomato puree
    1/2 tsp sugar
    salt and pepper to taste
    Olive oil...mmm....(hellokitty - you may be able to source some near you maybe???)

Saute onions and zucchini, once soft, add herbs, then chuck in tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 mins, taste adjust seasoning add sugar if required (to take off some of the acidity of the tomatoes) stir until sugar melted, serve as a veggie with main meal..

You can also add eggplant/capsicum/ beans if you want

7. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

hahaha. I had EXACTLY the same problem last year!! I LOVE them but by the end of summer we had a slightly strained relationship!! They are great stuffed and baked in the oven, dusted in some seasoned flour and bbq-ed, or thinly sliced in your fav tomato-based pasta sauce. Veg lasagna is fantastic too!

I would even fry with mushrooms and fresh tomatoes on toast for beakfast!!

Now, if i could find a good zucchini cocktail then i might consider planting another plant next year. They would be used up in no time *#)

8. ASH lover

Oooow Bec - I wonder if you can make zucchini brandy like we used to make marrow brandy in the UK???? a bit fiddly though as One marrow is about the size of 20 zucchini*#)

9. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

hehehe. I might just give it a go!!

Zucchini Daiquiri anyone??? :))

10. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

11. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Taste.com is the bestt recipe site! lol

looks yummy izzy!

12. brumby_78

brumby_78 Guest

Zucchini and Feta Quiche

2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry - partially thawed
    1 small zucchini, cut into ribbions
    60g greek feta cheese, crumbled
    1/2 quantity basic egg mix (see below)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
    2 garlic gloves, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes

preheat oven to 200 C/180 C fan forced

place baking tray in oven. use pastry to line and side of a 2.5cm-deep, 11.5cm x 34cm (base), loose-based fluted flan tin, trimming to fit. prick base with a fork. freeze for 15mins or untill firm. bake for 10 -15mins or untill golden. remove from oven. reduce oven to 180 C/160 C fan forced.

Arrange zucchini and feta in pastry case

make egg mix, stir in chives, garlic and chilli. pour over zucchini mixture. bake for 35mins or untill golden and just set. serve :)

basic egg mix

8 eggs
    1/2 cup pure cream
    1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese

this what im making for dinner tonight :)

13. ASH lover

Just the one litre for me thanks Bec! (a kindred spirit:))...if you don't mind the pun)