Zooooo - can you explain how to....

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Talkingshell, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Put the tail wraps on the horse tail, soon I am going to put it on Cullen and wasn't sure how to go about it.

Do I put on at the end of his tail bone and then what...? and when wrapping in like hair plait, mmm does the tail itself is inside the wrap (plait)? Sorry I am so Blondie!*#)

2. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Lucky I am back from my holidays shell lol email me at ragz4nagz@hotmail.com and I will try to explain how to put them in. Arnie is the expert lol and some of the other members here can put them in better than me.

Cheers

Sue

3. Talkingshell

Have just emailed you lol:D:D

4. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

I have no idea if I did mine right, but heres a pic:
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'll try my super best :p.

Hold the saver under the tail and so its forming its natural shape (a T). Take the two top ends of the T and tie them around the tail.
    I like to tie them over the dock tightly then gently shift the tail saver down so its positioned perfectly off the dock :).

Then pull it tighter.

Split the tail into three and wrap each peice around each section of the tail. This is the super fiddly bit and I find most people make up their own mind of to which section goes on which peice of hair.
    I also like to twist the fabric around the tail, this gives it nearly no-where to get out.

Plait and plait, twist the fabric as you go.

Then I do two knots at the end (so every piece has been knotted).

Hope that makes sense :p.

Looking at my guys today and need to chuck a refreshed one in, Zoo, I LOVE the fluro green I got from my recent order, it looks really cute.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Ness that looks perfect! Well done.

7. beau

beau Well-known Member

Ok we have Julius here a SC horse and unfortunatly we had to cut the entire midle section of his tail out as there was no way we could remove the *nest* that was there. So all he has is a *blob* in the midle and lengths either side.

Would one of these be any good for him to help promote hair growth.

Oh and he does has cancer lumps on either side of his dock.

Thanks

8. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

ditto to what Beau said.....my mare rubs hers out and just wondering if it promotes growth?

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Beau and Beau :D - I believe it definently promotes hair growth. Having the tail saver in keeps the majority of the tail clean and free from breakage, from trying out, from being chewed, caught in a fence etc. Your fortnightly washes you'd usually wash the dock aswell and obviously a good massage is great for blood curculation.

I shampoo and condition the tail then spray it with any kind of coat shine before plaiting it and leave it for a minimum of two weeks but have been known to have it in for four weeks (providing its still neat and clean). I also find having it in the tail saver prevents dirt from getting in around the dock even though there's no tail saver there.
    GREAT for keeping white tails stain free!

He's also on Zoo's website but this is my ponies tail, eaten by ponies and sheep and very dry and brittle:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

(This photo it hadn't been trimmed and was actually dragging on the ground a bit).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  10. Beauvelour

WOW!!!! so is it different to the tail bags that come with rugs? I know you plait the tail savers in but do the bags have the same effect?

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes you plait it in. Its a rugless tailbag really :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I prefer the plait in tailsavers rather then the rugless tail 'bags' just because I find that they have better flick of the tail then a tailbag but some people prefer the bag (which is fine of course!).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  12. Beauvelour

Koool thanks heaps Arnie
    *off to have a look at zoos website*

13. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

I was going to ask the same question...*#)

Thanks Arnie, thats so easy to understand, lol i pulled mine out the other day and and had a go, but no good,

ill put it in tonight now,

Thanks

14. Talkingshell

Ok thanks Arnie...I wonder if you tie just above the tail bone...would it cause to make the skin/bone go numb like if you sat down on the wrong way and stood up then you felt the foot going numb!! (hope you know what I am talking about lol)

Is there a chance that you could take photos like step 1, step 2, step 3...etc to show how to plait in...lol