Zoo visit - lots of piccies:) NH

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by painter, May 19, 2009.

1. painter

painter Well-known Member

We went to the zoo today...I have a love-hate relationship with the place. Always feel upset and guilty at seeing such beautiful wild animals in captivity, and hate the fact that conservation of many of these animals depends on captive breeding programs. But at the same time I (selfishly) love being able to see and appreciate these animals at close range.

Zoo animal photography is a challenge, to say the least:D I certainly stretched my skills to the limit today. LOL if you want to really push yourself and get to know your camera, go to the zoo on an overcast day, shoot through grubby glass at animals that are in the shade or part shade, part light and moving!

Thought I'd share a few of the good ones that worked despite the bad light and grubby scratched glass windows.

Dirka the 14 year old Dingo. Poor boy lost his mate about six months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Sun Bear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The orangs make me so sad, this first one came up to the glass and when I put my hand flat against the window he put his hand up against mine...I just about burst into tears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. painter

The wombats were very active today...for wombats!

[​IMG]

I think these little monkeys are capuchins but can't remember. The baby was so cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meerkat sentry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cheetah sitting pretty

[​IMG]

3. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Fantastic photos Michelle!
    I know what you mean about the animals. It is sad that sometimes the safest place for these animals is in captivity.

4. painter

I've got lots more but these are the last ones I'll post;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

They're awesome shots Chelle.....where're the rest?

6. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

Was that Perth Zoo??? Every time i go the animals are either sleeping or not there!!

7. MYTEE4EVA

MYTEE4EVA Active Member

Great Photo's,God they are beautiful animals.

8. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Great pics painter, I mean really awesome.

9. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

i second reindeer i only eva get pics of the rinos everything else is either shut away or hiding

10. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

wow those are great!!
    you are good huh?

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

ditto!!

Sometimes I think they are messing with me - but love the fact that they are able to get out of sight as well.

12. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

Fantastic photos.....:) I want your camera :)

13. Araphra

Araphra Well-known Member

Wow great photos, I love the clarity :p.

I can never decide which animals at the zoo are my favourite - I love the wombats but they never DO anything while I'm there and all I can see is a big round ball of hair xD. The orang-utans are beautiful, I used to love the big male they had several years ago... I think his name was Sing Sing. That's sad about the dingo's mate :(, I have this memory of going to the zoo with my dad when I was ten or so and being allowed to pat the dingoes while they were on their walk :D.

14. painter

Thanks everyone!

LOL if nothing else, being an animal photographer teaches you patience! I drive my family nuts though, coz I could easily sit at each exhibit for a couple of hours waiting for the perfect shot (which not only means an animal in the photos, but for me I hate to get any signs of the cage bars as well).

Its always a surprise though, coz you never know what animals are going to be active when you are there.

I havn't gone through all of yesterdays shots yet, but for those that don't get to see many animals when they visit the zoo, here are some from our last zoo visit shot with my old camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

lurve the numbat!

16. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

U are very talented! Great shots! Love the penguine one...he,he! :D

17. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Me too. Painter you are lucky (or extremely patient) to catch one of those!!!
    Love the way they move - sort of flit.
    The orang may make you sad but it looks beautifully healthy. Some zoos grossly overfeed them.
    Great photos!!!:D

18. twotone

twotone Well-known Member

wow!! great photos painter! :D:))