Zinc

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by NaeNae87, Jul 21, 2011.

1. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Hmmm so I have been sitting at work day dreaming about Summer today, thinking about days spent at the beach, not freezing my a$$ off getting up in the middle of the night... actual sun etc. All this got me thinking about how we slather ourselves in suncream and zinc and long sleeved shirtsand then I thought, is it practicle/possible to zinc up a horse? ';'

Ok well maybe not the whole horse, but just the sensitive pinky bits around the lips and on the nose? What about those fly veils that have the canvas bits that go down to cover a horses nose? Do they actually work? **) ? #( ?
    Does anyone who has a grey or light coloured horse give them any SPF or do you leave them out nekid?

2. zoz000

zoz000 New Member

My ponies blaze comes right down to his lip and if he doesn't have a fly veil on with the flap bit it burns and peels.

I tried Zinc it works but needs to be reaplied quite a bit as i found when they graze etc it rubs off.

hope this helps:D

3. NaeNae87

Thanks zoz, That was what i was thinking with the zinc rubbing off and all. Did you use people zinc, or is there special horse zinc? I have lots of tubes of that fluro coloured stuff that I never used down the beach... however, doesn't stop me suncreaming the boy up when I eventually take him swimming :) lol I have mental images of him with a bright blue nose... :p

Do you have any problems with the flap part folding over on itself at all? or does it have some way of fastening under their chin?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I use human zinc on my mares nose during summer when I ride :) (highlighter blue and pink :p she LOVES it haha)

5. NaeNae87

Sweet so I am not the only one who enjoys putting bright colours on my horse :) haha

I might give GK a break from pink over summer... His Hi-Vis has had a bit of a workout. lol

6. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

The only thing I have found with the flap part is that if it hangs down too low it gets gross! Snot + water + sand + hay/grass seeds = unpleasent! :p