Zilco bitless bridle

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by theherd22, Jul 16, 2013.

1. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

Hi all

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions, words of wisdom?

It is for a western trained horse that mostly does trail plodding.

Thanks

2. samm

samm Gold Member

I prefer the sidepulls to the crossover underneath the jaw ones and I'm not sure which ones the Zilco are.
    Our bay horse goes far better in a sidepull than a bridle.Suits some horses ,others it doesn't.It's a bit of trial and error like anything.Do you know if your horse has been in a bosal before when doing western?

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

To be honest, an old drop noseband with a browband attached, and a set of reins clipped onto the ring on the sides of the drop noseband, does exactly the same thing as a sidepull. ;)

4. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

Thanks guys :)

The zilco is a crossover which is why I was looking at it over a traditional hackamore and before I started researching I didn't realise there were so many bitless options out there.:rolleyes:

When I bought him he was being ridden in a snaffle(i think) with a standard martingale attached to a bosal noseband. I was riding him in a copper role bit but the people who had him on lease didn't give it back. Since then I have been using a regular snaffle or just a halter.

The problem I am having is that he just seems less responsive in the snaffle...just one of those niggly 'something isn't right' feelings. He is very responsive in the halter but I don't feel I have enough actual control so I'm looking for a middle ground

I thought about going back to the copper roll bit but to be honest I don't really think that will have much effect. We do have a whole host of other issues as well,part of which is he has hardly been ridden for over a year, which isnt helping and my riding style has changed since then as well.

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member