Zedrich

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by RoryGirl, Jun 13, 2011.

1. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

does anyone know anything about this stallion or does any one have any horse by him? i just got a gelding by him and he is wonderful! just wondering :)

2. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Hi Rory. I worked with Zedrich for a couple of years. He is a lovely horse. Big, strong, the epitome of a stallion really.
    He has a real personality, a real funny bugger.
    He doesn't have a nasty bone in his body and loves to play games around the paddock.
    He once refused to cover a mare because she tried to kick him the first time he served her. The mare had to be covered in a blanket so he couldn't see who she was before he would serve her!

The only time he has ever showed any sign of being nasty is when an new stallion arrived. He would squeal and kick the fence, or charge at it with hsi teeth barred at the new horse. It is the only other stallion he ever showed and real dislike to.

He had a tendancy to throw foals who could be quite difficult to handle, but only when crossed over mares fvrom certain bloodlines.
    Zedrich babies quite often have flat, shelly feet. This comes from the Haulpak blodline. But they are usually quite tough horses, and the feet are not a problem if managed by a decent farrier.

Sadly, Zed was put down earlier this year.

Would love to see some pics of your horse. :)*

3. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

if you look under the open discussions i have put about him on there with pictures :) it finally i have found him :)

4. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

do you have any pictures of Zedrich?

5. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yes very flippin sadly! filly we bred by him has since had 2 starts for a second and a win!

They are nice types but can be head strong :) wish we could send a mare back again!

6. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

my boy had 2 starts for a 3rd or maybe that was in his trials but im not really sure about the racing world im just glad he found me :)

his previous owners told me that they spent over $20k on breeding him and training him :O and i got him free :)

7. mylittlepony

Whats even sadder is the way he was put down. I would love to put another mare to him too :(

Rorysgirl, I have heaps of zed photos. He was one of my favourite horses ever.none of my pics are on my computer, but ill see if I can find some for you.

8. I have a Zedrich gelding, complete with attitude and shitty feet LOL. He's a pain the backside a lot of the time, but on the other hand he's a wonderful horse in many other ways. He has his Daddy's fun personality and cheek for sure and as much as he can be a total potato head sometimes I wouldn't change him for the world.

Zedrich wasn't euthanased, he was dogged :( very sad considering the amount of $$ he must have earned his owners through stud fees.

9. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yep really sad way for a great bread and butter horse to go. It's a sad sign of the industry fact is he was far superior than a lot of the 'pretenders' standing at stud IMO really you sent a mare to him and you had a huge chance of getting a winner however they didn't command big money at the sales because they were not the latest fashion! Well fashion doesn't win races, we were having a laugh at how many far higher priced yearlings our filly has already beaten sad state of the industry.

10. firesign24082

firesign24082 New Member

Ditto to that, I have one too :) biggest TB i've personally ever known too at 17.3hh

11. mihu

mihu Active Member

Zedrich was put to sleep on Evergreen Lodge and buried down the back paddock! They had their reasons for putting him to sleep and all the shareholders had their say in what was going on. Get facts straight!!

12. mylittlepony

Mihu, I know exactly the reason why he was put to sleep.
    Merrylegs does have her facts straight, I assure you.
    Please do not get emotional and turn this into another thread that needs to be locked by the mods. If you have a problem, then pm people, don't put it in a thread and ruin it for the OP.

13. sunline

sunline Well-known Member

I would have taken him in a heart beat..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  14. sunline

15. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

hes Gorgeous :) he has the same eyes as my boy

16. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Hahaha perfect description! **) :p **)

17. RoryGirl

RoryGirl New Member

so far my boy doesnt have an attitude problem (touch wood hahaha) hes very curious about everything

18. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

ditto! such an under-rated horse

19. sunline

I love the chrome in him as well.. Going back to the akhal teke bloodlines.
    Very sad to read he passed away.

20. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

This is my little girl's sire too
    He's GORGEOUS!

She DEFINATELY has the attitude and crappy feet! haha
    But she is absolutely gorgeous. She has a very similar face, although sadly didn't inherit the legs at only 15.2hh. Definately got the cheeky streak too.

[​IMG]