Zebra duns....also called bay duns

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by dun, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dun

dun Active Member

As there are all different colours I always state what type so to speak.Red dun,grullo,grulla and blue dun.Just so when you say dun it is usually the zebra dun but I have been caught once and drove to a mates place only to see a red dun.....not what I was after at the time.Cheers

2. Hi Dun:)
    Could you please tell us what's the difference between grullo and grulla in your opinion?:confused:
    And what do you mean by a blue dun?
    cheers, lena

3. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

What happened to plain ol simple grulla OR grullo (black + dun), muddy or brown dun, yellow or bay dun & red dun. You say zebra dun to 99.9% of people in Australia and they won’t have a clue what you’re talking about. I didn’t and I register them :D. Also dunalino & dunskin – more commonly known in Australia as palomino dun and buckskin dun but I guess the US terms are more exotic sounding.

4. mav

mav Well-known Member

hmmm. was expecting to here of some new black and white stripped pony!!!! *#)

5. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

*#) ....................... (there should be a 'giggling' face available)

6. dun

dun Active Member

Will give it a go....keeping it short!!

A grulla is a mouse ,slate or dove colour.If you want to have a good read about it Dun Central Station - Home Page is a great site for learing about duns.
    The most striking thing about this colour is that the head is usually darker than the rest of the body.The tail,mane,stockings are basicaly left unchanged.
    The gene acts to lighten the black base coat to that of the mouse,slate or dove colour.
    A grullo because of the spanish origin of the name its used to refer to the two...mare a grulla and a stallion a grullo.
    A grulla or grullo can also be called a blue dun.
    I can write four thousand words about these colours LOL and we wont even start on the yellow dun,champagne dun, HEHEHE
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers

7. Ditto to that Tintara!
    Dun, you confused me:)
    grullo=grulla=blue dun=they are the same color dun factor!
    The way you listed the above could be easyly mistaken for definition of different colors of dun horses.

By the way
    your statement is not correct.

Brown + Dun= Called "Mouse dun", or sometimes "olive grullo", "muddy grullo", or "wolf dun". The body is a muddy-tan or brown color, not as yellow as a bay dun and not as silver as a grullo.

BLACK + DUN:
    This is called Grullo/Grulla;
    it is also called black dun, blue dun, slate grullo, silver grullo, silver dun, or lobo dun. This is often considered the rarest shade of dun. The black coat is diluted to a mousy-gray, but the coat can be silver-smoky, bluish, or sometimes a mousy-brown.

Good luck in breeding colored horses!
    cheers lena

8. dun

dun Active Member

Sorry of it has got confusing....

I have placed the dun site address as I dont place my info across well obviousley by the look of it LOL
    No wonder I dont coach people to ride as I know I am no teacher....will keep to horsemanship training I think and at least I know what I am on about with what I want to breed!!
    :)*

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have a Silver Dun colt (gelding on Tuesday).
    Sire is Silver & dam is dun pintaloosa.

10. dun

dun Active Member

I have a .....

Lovely little pally filly out of our cremello stallion and our chestnut QHxBrumby.The chesnut mare can only have a pally to a cremllo so at least you know what you are having on that horse LOL
    Yours souds gorgoous and very different!!**)
    Am looking forward to my black mare having her foal this year.Fingers crossed all goes well.

11. dun

dun Active Member

Different names....

I dont think people use the American names for the colours horses of horses to be exotic :confused: I think exotic I think Rio and a big glass of Pina Colada **) LOL
    The woman I bought that dun mare off (she bred her) actually called her that(hence me looking up some info on it as I had not back then) and alot of people our way do.I wouldnt say 99.9% wouldnt know only due to the people I have met at clinics over east and here and that in converstaion over a dun or buckskin I have heard them use the word,eg dunskin.Not all but sometimes.
    Just my opionion......dont shoot the messenger:D

12. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

ok, i must be old school, so can someone please correct me :eek:

i just posted a thread, that i could have probably gotten answered here.
    I have always been led to believe that a dun had to have the dorsal stripe and zebra markings on their legs? So Zebra dun and red dun, wouldnt it be a bay dun, and a red dun??? they would both have to have the zebra markings?
    what i have noticed (which is what i wrote about in the other thread) is that people have advertised duns, mainly red duns, that have nothing in the way of dun markings, to me they are just chestnuts, maybe some a lighter chestnut.
    is there new rules on evaluating whether a horse is a dun or not?
    call me ignorant, but its got me buggered *#)

13. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Remaani
    you wouldnt happen to have a pic of the dam of your colt??
    dun pintaloosa???? that would be awesome to see :D

14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have pics on papers which i'll scan on Monday (going away for the weekend).
    At birth she was pinto marked, 6mths old had spots, same at 12 mths old, 3yrs still spotty but pinto patches going away... 8 yrs old greyed out, can see a couple of spots but thats it, just is "grey" to look at. :)*