Zac Update

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by amandasmith, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

WOW he is special!! love the photos :)*

2. amandasmith

amandasmith Well-known Member

Thanks Mirawee for taking photos for me :)*

As you can see he is now sporting the lovely superman look with his stunning mask :p. I'm glad I got the DNA test done as his next coat is a very funny colour.

His mum was an absolute toad today. She seems to think that if there are other people there other than me and I want to catch him that something bad is going to happen so she preceeded to take him running round and round the paddock (even though we weren't actually moving). Poor little man was all sweaty by the end of it. Unfortunately though Zac's little legs can't keep up with his mum's trot so there were very few trot photos - it was halt or canter gernerally.

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

he is just stunning amanda,
    just love watching him grow
    cheers

4. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Mirawee!!! those photo's are just fantastic **)

Just love them and him of course!! :D

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

He is lovely - I was showing him off to my OH.......what is the little fella's breeding again?

We'd love all the details **)

6. amandasmith

He's "basically" an arab warmblood. His mum is reg'd Part Arab (has a bit of stockhorse in her hence can't be reg'd AWB), Buckskin, Trakehner Sporthorse and Warmblood Sporthorse. His sire is reg'd AWB. He will be eligible for all of the registrations his mum has.

7. Que

Que New Member

I must have missed the post :eek: but what colour did his test come back as ? he is very very nice :))

8. amandasmith

He is definitely buckskin :D

9. amandasmith

Some more photos for you.

[​IMG]

Practicing tying up (he found that the bottom rail was the perfect height to scratch his bum)
    [​IMG]

Yep, I'm terrified of tarps
    [​IMG]

So much so that I am falling asleep
    [​IMG]

10. amandasmith

We did some work walking over the tarp etc (he couldn't care less although mum made sure she walked around the tarp - she's a big chicken). Once we'd finished our work I let him go and he went straight up to the tarp (which I hadn't picked up yet) to give it a piece of his mind:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the look of disgust after I stopped scratching him
    [​IMG]

11. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

neaaww..... :) he is really cute - shame I couldnt convince my OH to have a Warmblood - lol

Sorry to hijack, but could anyone please educate me on colour testing - and how to get it done.
    We have a lovely Mare here - which I beleive she MAY be a buskin - however barely looks like one apart from a looking a heck of a lot like other buckskins that 'dont look' bucksin like - haha! and I would like to get her tested.
    Her Parentage is unknown.

However - we do know she is a QH - or at least a QH X. She was purchased 8 years ago....before I came into the picture - so He doesnt even know her actual age....*rolls eyes*

She has had a Buckskin colt in the past, apparently - and we are looking at breeding from her in the next year for a youngin for my OH, and he has a soft spot for Buckskins.

It would be nice to try and get one for him **)

And I have no Idea how, I dont do colour genetics...lol

12. amandasmith

I used Animal Genetics in the US. They have a simple form that you fill out and you send it with a glad bag with approx 30-40 hairs (with the root still attached) plus the fee (25USD for the cream dilution test only). I sent it by normal post on the 14/8 and had an email result back by 24/8 which in my opinion was really quick! I got the report in the mail yesterday. They have instructions on the website how to get the sample but basically they say the easiest (which is what I did) is to take some tail hair but make sure it still has the root attached.

They also have a colour calculator on there which tells you the probability of getting the different colours from certain parents.

13. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

He is lovely Amanda, you must be thrilled with him. I'm looking forward to seeing him grow.