Zabaleta (usa) and Haulpet ?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Zegger, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Does any stockie know what ZABALETA (USA) and Haulpet (AUS) babies where like look and temp wise ? Thanks **)

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Never heard of Haulpet do you mean Haulpak?

3. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Nope Haulpet :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. Cowgirl Kid

Cowgirl Kid Well-known Member

Haulpak is a stallion...

5. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

lol i feel sooo stupid right now shows how much i know about racing *#)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. samm

samm Gold Member

Yep got a Zab mare .Beautiful big mare ,lovely natured.In fact all the Zabaleta's I came across when I was in the race industry were good natured.

7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Rode a few of both sexes of Zab babies back in the 90's. The geldings were very sensible, calm, willing and trainable. The fillies were very sensitive, super-smart and the ones I've followed have been good Mums (2).

I really liked Zabaleta as a stallion. His progeny were very competitve.

8. PELLY20

PELLY20 Active Member

I have a Zabaletta gelding and he is lovely I have also owned a Haulpak mare and she was a very nice mare and they are both very quiet

9. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Have you guys got any pictures *#)

10. Con

Con Guest

i have come across a few Zabaletta horses. One called Benzaba who was a little chestnut and was a bit of a nut. He went ok, won a few races but would be lathered in sweat within seconds of arriving at the races. I used to have to walk him the entire time we were there. He also pulled like a train, until I discoved that he relaxed when ridden on the buckle. I got so sick of him pulling one day that I just threw the rains at him and said go for it. I think it confused the hell out of him lol. I managed to calm him right down so he was a different horse by literally holding the buckle on the reigns every time I rode him. Only problem was that he stopped winning races!

The other one that I can recall of the top of my head, I cant remember his racing name, was trained by Toby Roney. He was a big clumsy boy. He would trip over his own feet, he was also a little strong and forward moving. He didnt do much good as a racehorse. Both of them where the most beautiful natured horses, very loving. Ben wasnt your typical zabaletta horse though, the other zabalettas Ive known where all strong big boned horses whereas Ben was little and compact.

11. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Those horses sound like my boy:eek: he pulls like a freight train unless ridden on on a loose rein and he is very lazy with his feet falls over
    everything but he is sweet and loves cuddles but very forward moving most of the time. He is also got a bit of bone not alot and he is very long in the body with a big head . Thanks so much :D:))**)

I once saw one of his sisters and my god they looked the same . Same face, body and looks

I put a picture so show what i mean with the long head ect . He is turning 20 this year :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  12. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

Here is a mare by Zabaleta.
    She has a fantastic temperament and is good to have around. She has a foal at foot now and is a very good mum.
    My friend also used to own a gorgeous mare by him who sadly passed away about 4 years ago due to paddock accident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Love the second photo**) what part of WA is that very green**)

14. miss moo

miss moo Active Member

my mares dam is out of a mare called zabaleta....

15. miss moo

miss moo Active Member

so its like my mares grandma i guess lol....dnt kno if its the same one or anything:confused:

16. samm

samm Gold Member

Miss Moo your mares mother is by Zabaleta**)
    Zabaleta is a stallion.

17. miss moo

miss moo Active Member

ohhh ok then thanks samm...i only had it written down from last time i looked her up but i didnt put down if it was by or out of next to the names...my bad lol..shldve looked it up proply before saying anything

18. miss moo

miss moo Active Member

haha yep just looked it up then...oops

19. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

hehe it is in Bridgetown (Well Greenbushes) in the South West. Def isnt that green now but we still have some green left (We are lucky to have a bit of underground water in places)

20. TAMU983

TAMU983 New Member

Hi there I have a beautiful old grey gelding by Zabaleta. He was talented and versatile. Won/placed from everything from campdrafting, showjumping, hacking, dressage, eventing and even tried out clerk of the course. He was too slow to be a racehorse! But lovely mover. Would love to wind the clock back on him! Zabaleta started his stud career at Heytesbury and as time went on and he proved non successful in his siring endeavours he was relocated to Fairfields Stud. He was a sweet old horse. Old Zab was a heavy boned chunky horse from memory.
    Haulpet was a Haulpak mare who produced a listed stakes winner in Star Pet.
    All the best with yours :)