yuky horrible coat

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Lexie, May 19, 2009.

1. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

hey all
    Coda has he grosest coat ever!
    She gets fed well and shes shiny, just fluffy and looks moth eaten, shes rugged day and night.
    She gets exercised aswell.
    Lets just say clipping is not a option
    Oh and she gets groomed for about 30 mins every-time im there which is atleast 4 times a week.
    HELP please

2. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

Hi Lexie,
    unfortunatley i dont think there is much you can do!! If she's got her winter coat, it wont drop til spring, so she will stay fluffy, the moth eaten appearance?? not sure but could be where the rugs are putting a bit more pressure on her coat.

what sort of breed is she?? she might be just naturally fluffy! i had a pony like that, he had lights and rugs but still got a thicker coat.

You could maybe try lights next season. I think its too late for that now though.

3. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

thankyou!!
    She is a paint, and when i mean moth eaten , i mean patches of uneven fuzz ahah *#)

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Lexie does the coat look dry and/or the ends turned up so the hair looks like it has a little hook on the end?

If either of those are applicable it's worth getting a vet visit to get rid of sand from your horses gut.
    In the weather we have had a lot of horses may be carrying sand. Even if you have never ever had problems with it before.

In addition it may be worthwhile getting the horse wormed.

If it is just winter coat rugging may help the hair lay flatter. Also oil on the feed may help bring out more of a shine.

A long winter coat even if shaggy as all get out should still have shine in it. Even with a dusty coat once groomed my paddocked girl shines. If it is not shiny there is a health issue and given the number of horses that have had colic lately it's not worth waiting around to see if things improve on their own.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Go on....dont tease us *#) - chuck up a pic of this horrible coat......:eek:*#):)*

Im sure its no way near as bad as you think.....

Give us your best coat shining at sunset pic **)

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

All you can really do is ensure you feed a balanced diet, and add 1/2 cup of canola oil to the ration daily. The oil will supply essential fatty acids which will prevent the coat getting that dried frazzled look.:D:))

7. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

you asked for it..now close your eyes so you wont be blinded! this was Saturday.
    [​IMG]

even her summer coat was long, but lied flat - cept for the belly hairs

But her coat not is super uneven - moth like appearance.
    and just ugly!
    I will add some oil in her feed, thanks everyone for the help!

8. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

She looks pretty healthy too me, just her winter coat :D

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

That's what I was thnking Jade :)

10. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

unfortunately u have one of those horses with a persistent winter coat. My horse is TB and although is in work gets plenty of grain and is rugged with a weatherbeta Taka with the most fill u can get and hes fluffy as atm, weve had him 8 years and lasts winter we bought him the weatherbeta after years of fully thick lined canvases and about half way through winter he dropped his coat.....we rugged him with same rug this year but he still grew the 1 inch thick hair, he is just now starting to drop some hair but yeah he still had to grow it..even though the rug he has makes him sweat if its not off by sunrise.

My suggestion is get a really good quality warm rug...we would never get 1 coz we thought it was a waste of money but the weatherbeta taka is not only tough(hesthe type of horse that goes through 2 rugs each winter) but since we bought that rug theres not a hole in it) but super dooper warm. fo me it was worth the dosh because of the amount of cheapies he would shred it adds up. and i only have a fluffy horse for half of winter not all

11. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

I wouldn't stress bout it Lex! As I said a few months back I think, just add some oil to her feed which will help the flakey skin too! It's almost winter and you wont be showing her for a bit now so it wont really be an issue. I don't think you need to rug her more than she is now as the rugs you have are pretty good! We will concentrate on getting her coat perfect when it starts to warm up again! For now I say let her be a fluffy pony just like Flame is :)