Yucky coat

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Teddie1980, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Does a mare being in season affect her coat?

ATM my mares' coat looks awful and dull. Just trying to figure out what could be wrong.

Being feed:
    Sweet chaff
    R/C chaff
    1/4 cup of copra
    1 teaspoon of dolomite
    Seaweed meal

also oaten hay

any suggestions???? Bear in mind she is a VERY good doer

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Use Cell-Vital instead of the kelp and dolomite. Add 1/4 cup of canola oil daily.:D

3. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Worming program up to date??? Do you change active ingredients to avoid resistance?

4. madison

madison Well-known Member

Try at least a cup of Copra

5. Teddie1980

ahh cool thanks Caroline will do!!

Yep worming upto date, had to swap to pellet gold packet thingo as they targeted the pin worms (itchy tail issue).

6. Teddie1980

unfortunately she would explode!! she is still bordering obese at the moment :(

hmmm actually, is there any point to the copra at such a small amount?

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL 1 cup of Copra swells to about 4 cups, so not such a little amount at all. :p

I like Caroline's suggestion **)

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hiya :) Could be the clip? Maybe hotoil her, give her plenty curry combs, avoid washing her.

Agree on the cell vital.

And then ride her :p fitness will make her healthier and healthier will make her GLOW! :)

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

After putting my pony on it, I am a big fan of TDI Competition Conditioner for shiny coats:)*

10. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

But the feeding rates for CC are too high for a good doer! Need more concentrate additives.**)

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

sorry, didnt think of that:eek:

12. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

i priced that when i was in SF other day and its $50 a bag *#)

compared to coprice and mitavite power on being only $40.00 a bag!! so im sticking with power on and you get the same results **)

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

beg to differ there **) but each to their own:)*

14. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

If your horses coat was shinny and you havent changed anything and it has suddenly gone dull... Id be getting the horse checked over by a vet.

A healthy happy horse will have a shiny coat even with a basic feed. My horse does and i dont feed him fancy stuff.

He gets chaff, bran, oats, sweet chaff, a bit of rosehip and a scoop of cool max.

Hes got a beautiful coat even with minimal maintence and not rugged either.

Horses ive seen coats go dull and loose their shine and colour have been because they are unwell.

15. katelol

katelol Guest

Did someone say she was clipped? If so, its just the dead hair still in the coat that needs to be currie combed out and she should be nice and shiny underneath in a few weeks :)

16. Teddie1980

Yeah clipped 3 weeks ago and also she is in season (don't know if that has anything to do with it)

17. SCNHP

SCNHP New Member

I would suggest a faecal float to rule out any worm related problems. I also agree with caroline about switching to cell vital, I love the khonkes own suppliments.

The other thing I have been completely converted to is Tuffrock Conditioner Plus. This is a liquid feed suppliment. I now stock the tuffrock range but prior to selling I wanted to try all of their products to ensure quality and that they work. Well, my horses coats have never looked so good as they do on this. 2 of my performance horses were being stabled under lights and rugged and their coats looked amazing, but the tuffrock conditioner plus had their coats absolutely gleaming, they looked sensational only about 1 week after being on this.

I have also used equine chia in the past and found it to improve coat condition.

As for her being in season, I have never had this affect a mares coat before and I don't see any reason why it could/would.

18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Dont rule out sand either.

Cheers
    Lee

19. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I use Super 14 for a good healthy coat and you've seen what all my show ponies look like Teddie :D

Hi Shine over her for a couple of days will really improve the look of her coat as well especially if you don't want to change her diet from what she is currently on.

20. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

Completely agree here, one of mine looked 'fat' and 'dull coated' had kilos and kilos of sand in her, wouldn't hurt to check. :)