Your Watkins Stories:)

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Hayley, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sil

sil Gold Member

Would love for you to share (in a new thread).

2. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

Hey Hayley - think I met you there on Friday - How did the Saturday session go?

3. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Yes lovely to meet you. Saturday went well, really impressed :) when are you guys up next?

4. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

Think OH is going up tomorrow.

Otherwise it'll be following weekend.

Took my young one in a group of 6 horses today up to the pines and he was awesome - had a few canters and only a couple of spooks (little white foam balls and dogs that jump outta nowhere are terribly scary!) - great that Fred installed the one rein stop!

5. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Lollipop, perhaps you should read my posts again ;) Your last post reads as though you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

...and Hayley, I'm glad you are pleased with how things are going ;)

6. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Watkins started my gelding at nearly 4yo, early last year and I couldn't be happier with the result. He was a pretty laid-back horse to start with, maybe a bit 'looky' (I think just nosey lol) though, but now all the buttons for riding are in the right place and I have a no-fuss horse who is a pleasure to handle, ride and train in ANY conditions and just takes everything in his stride. After I have my baby I will be sending the boy back for a few days 'tune-up' before I get back on, and I will be sending my 3yo filly to be started then as well. I heard about them through word of mouth from people who have lovely horses that have been to Watkins, so that was good enough advertising for me. People always comment on how nice and well-behaved my gelding is, so I'd like to think he is a pretty good advert too. **)

7. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Oh i forgot to add, leg restraint training can also be useful for horses who don't like having their legs handled to the point of being dangerous. Below are some pics of a lovely horse having front and back leg restraint training at the John O'Leary clinic last year. This horse had been giving the farrier a fair bit of grief for some time, particularly with the hind legs, and had a couple of spooky incidents at shows in harness. After two training sessions over two days he was hot shod all round in front of an audience and was calm, relaxed and offered minimum resistance. Ater the training the horse followed John around like a puppy, so he was definitely not traumatised. :)

Leg restraint training when conducted in this manner by experienced knowledgeable trainers is safe, humane and effective, and far outweighs the alternative of a seriously injured horse or handler.

Front leg restraint, with John O'Leary and Fred Watkins assisting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hind leg restraint, Fred's cracking a stockwhip. Note the horse is relaxed and attentive.
    [​IMG]

Hind leg restraint, other side.
    [​IMG]

Shoeing front, he's not thrilled about it but he's not stressed or resisting
    [​IMG]

Shoeing behind, much happier now.
    [​IMG]

8. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

I LOVED that horse, what a pretty boy he is.

Watched the work Fred did with him with the desensitising to noise around his feet, was really good to watch.

9. lollipop

lollipop Active Member

Desentising horses doesn't make them listen to your aids:confused: I have ridden so many horses that have been 'desensitised' that don't listen to any aids.';' It is up to the person on the horses back to have him respect and respond to the aids given and it is upto the rider to have the horse attentive and listening to the rider on his back. ?t is a p'ship not a one sided show - either way. :))I am sorry your post blew me away in a less than positive way.';'

10. lollipop

lollipop Active Member

11. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

As I said, lollipop, arguing for the sake of arguing...:}

Your experience of riding dull horses that have been desensitised has no correlation to correctly desensitised horses. I have ridden many horses that are dull to the aids, but still react to certain situations.

Once again, a dull horse is non- responsive to your aids. A desensitised horse is non-responsive (in a flight or fight sense) to the environment.

Who said that leg restraining was a new concept?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but in a different thread. (Although look at the exposure Watkins are getting - another 1000 views since you brought this thread back up lol).

12. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

...and this kind of comment is totally uncalled for #(

13. mod 7

mod 7 Moderator

OK, looks like this thread has run its course.
    Closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.