Your Watkins Stories:)

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Hayley, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Sorry to Hijack...

But does anyone have a current email adress for Watkins?

I need to send them an email....but I cannot seem to get any luck with the email addy I have been using.

Thanks all!

And as of yet I dont have any sucsess stories, but I appreciate the techniques they use - I use them myself. So I feel that it links in most appropriately with the training I have done.

I have a Started, Green broken horse - that I wish to go somewhere for a week with someone whom I trust to train in a similar style to myself, and who can deal with anything that arises. This is to broaden the horses horizions, and encourage his confidence.

As well as Leg restraint training.

I aim to produce a horse that can accept being ridden by many people, and is consitent and confident, and sending him to Watkins is part of the process.

Seeking out someone in the horses formative years that follow similar principles in riding seem to really....just make sense to me.

I also appreciate Freds manner, and the results that I have seen first hand.

This seems like the most appropriate descision.

So I damm well hope I have a sucsess story! *#) **)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

I'll pm you the address ;)

3. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Well, I sent Joe to Watkins after one of the more respected endurance riders in the state (who is also a vet) told me they were the only people she'd use.
    I was seriously impressed... Joe had an ear phobia and they were immediately onto it, getting a vet in to check that there was no physical reason for it before progressing with training it out of him. Everything was accomplished with minimal fuss and maximum effect and he was much better with his ears when he came home. He was also calm and bold under saddle, very light in the mouth, and had leg yield established.
    I was most impressed with Fred.. for him it is all about the horse... doesn't talk much, but to watch him work is so impressive.
    Joe loved him.

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i haven't sent a horse there, but i did go and watch them work with Jaana's Tally and another stockie's big warmblood for hind leg restraint training.

i was very impressed. quiet, mindful and respectful - both of the horses, and their anxious owners. if i have a horse that needs it, i will definitely consider sending it to Watkins.

5. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

6. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

Yes, we have too, because this is our job and admin could be held accountable if negative comments are made in regards to a business.
    If anyone has any feedback that may not be appropriate for the forum, then we ask them to PM the user instead ;)

7. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

On that note, back ontrack please.
    The OP would like to know any good stories ;)

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL MOD 5. I wondered how long it would take for a MOD to respond.
    Well done. Keep up the good work ;)

9. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Thanks MOD5 i had stopped replying as it was getting a little off track and im not interested in all the irrelevant comments that gets said on here, lets keep it on track :)

10. sil

sil Gold Member

We need horse owner training too I think :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  11. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I agree. I do not understand how someone expects to send their horse away and it come back perfect and them not have to put any hard work themselves and continue the training themselves, its unrealistic and no wonder there are a few unhappy customers when unrealistic expectations #(

12. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Yup and more YUP, coming from a wobbly baby horse owner... What has been done has been fantastic, now my job is the rest. Unless I sent my horse away for MONTHS.

Yup!

But we see this all the time. The expectations is a school master after a couple of weeks... and they handling hasn't been there prior too. ';'

13. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Well my horse has just returned from being re started and it has all gone pear shaped.He has returned with a "hard mouth",no brakes and refuses to go forward under saddle.He is now booked in to see Fred with the instructions to make him suitable for a "disabled rider" as I now have nerve damage in my hands/arms due to my recent illness.I will definitely be keeping you informed of my horses progress.

14. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Oh and by the way,this thread helped me when making the decision of who to use if you want the job done properly,thanx everyone! **)

15. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

When's your horse going natsky? Hope it turns out well for you 

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

*waves to Hayley* PM'd you a while ago! :D:D

17. domingo

domingo Active Member

When you bring your horse to a trainer, you discuss your riding abilities, your experience and your expectations with them. After meeting the owner and the horse, the trainer will be able to judge whether the three go together and whether it's possible to achieve the expectations.
    If the trainer doesn't feel that the expectations can be met, I would hope that they decline taking on the horse.
    Unhappy customers can result from a lot of things not just unrealistic expectations.

18. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Very true domingo. Watkins do this exceptionally well :)

oh...just to add that some owners have inflated ideas about their skills which then makes it difficult for all involved.

19. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Hayley,he is hopefully going by the end of May as there is a possible cancellation.If not then it will be August.

20. katers93

katers93 Well-known Member

I was extremely pleased with the Watkins; service and training was outstanding..They were also very honest which I appreciated and never had me expecting more than what I got. Rachel immediately told me after the first day what limitations to expect with my mare (due to her age) and I was extremely pleased with how my horse came back to me and also how unphased she was by the situation. I don't really see why we need to read about unsuccessful stories..I don't know any other trainers who have had outstanding results with 100% of their horses..but it is quite clear that Fred has an excellent reputation and most people, including myself, wouldn't hesitate to use him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.