Your Watkins Stories:)

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Hayley, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I am sending my OTTB mare to watkins in a couple of months and am so excited.

Would like to hear your success stories that have come back from them, whether it be newly broken or retrained or a problem horse they helped you with?

Also can i just said that their customer serivice is just outstanding and Rachel is so proffessional and helpful, i cant wait :)

2. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

We took Zophia there for leg restraint training when she was a yearling. Absolutely thrilled with the work done on her. Young Penny will be booked in for her turn shortly. **)

3. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

I'm another very happy person, you'll find threads all over the place about the Watkins. I've got one on Merry and I and there are others.

4. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I am looking for specific stories like problems your horse had, what was done to fix it and how the results are now etc... :)

5. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

Watkins Stories

My horses went there for leg restraint training for one session. I am no longer as nimble as I used to be and I wanted someone experienced to put hobbles on for the first time. Fred did a fantastic job and I did the follow up work at home.
    I now have two horses that hobble and tie up solid. Can't say enough good about the work Fred and Rachel do and will send my next youngster there.
    Jacky Y

6. Horseagilitywa

Yup thats in the other threads;) specific stuff...
    Like i'm very injured and overweight and riding a young horse straight to a games day with no stress.

7. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I just picked up my horse from Watkins today :)

I sent her there for leg restraint training and to tie up solid and just general handling like teaching her the 7 games etc. While my mare who is off the track is not a crazy thing she has tendency to panic when put into situations she is unsure of instead of using her brain. She would worry about you just generally handling her and never seemed to be fully relaxed.
    Fred had her a week, did the leg restraints and the handling and today when i picked her up i watched him with the leg restraints on and she just didnt care less :) It was so nice to see my horse just not care about something that before would have been a major issue.
    Fred also broke in my galloway last year and while he has had training since the mouth put on him has saved me from hitting the deck a few times.
    Big thumbs up from me :)

8. sunline

sunline Well-known Member

hehe I do have to giggle at the term "Leg Restraint Training"
    A nice fancy way of describing hobbling..

9. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

Hayley if you dont mind me asking.... What made you choose Watkins Horse Handlers over other trainers, have you watched fred himself or Racheal work with horses was this why or do you have other reasons?
    I am curious as to why you only what good stories about this one trainer alone rather than success stories in general with trainers WA wide :)

10. sil

sil Gold Member

Leg restraint training also includes front and hind leg restraint not just hobbles, which is why it's a more accurate term to use.

Our stallion Nitro has a permanent pastern injury that can make him favour one leg over the other. When he arrived I was a bit concerned with how protective he was of his hoof and didn't want it to develop into a kicking habit. I sent him to Fred to do leg restraints; while he was there Fred also did some float training with him. He came back home perfect with his tying up, feet and floating. Fred has the 'x' factor in handling horses and his attention to detail is super in this regard.

We also sent Fred our half Saddlebred mare. This mare was one of the ones we purchased from auction in a bad state. She was particularly unable to trust under pressure and desensitisation at home just wasn't working with reactions completely out of proportion. It was obvious there were some major issues there that had happened along the way. I sent her to Fred to finish desensitising and to break her to saddle. Here is the video of her on her first ride at home. I did not warm her up prior to riding, literally walked her out to the arena area, where she had never been before, and climbed on.

YouTube - Wantadilla Serenade - Saddlebred x Arabian

11. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I am looking at stories and results that people have received from this particular trainer because they are the ones i am sending my mare to, not any other trainers from WA. If i was sending her to someone else the thread would be about that particular trainer :)

12. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

Yes I understand that but what I am asking is What made you choose to send your mare to Watkins?

Did you look around at other trainers that supply the same services that Watkins do? surely you have reasons for choosing them over other trainers here in WA.

I am just interested that is all :)

13. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I chose them through an outstanding reputation and exceptional customer service when enquiring regarding their services and i like what they have to offer :)

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I dont understand what you want out of this thread?
    Are you aware that you will only get one side of the story on here? ie success stories only.

15. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

I have heard alot of successful stories about Fred Watkins on this forum but remember there are alot of really good trainers out there that just do not put themselves out there like Watkins have on this forum but are just as good and have plenty of successful stories to there name to.

What I am trying to say is just because you heard about a trainer on here doesnt mean they are the best trainer available to you.spe

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Yup and that is what THIS thread is about.

17. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Yes and that is what i want.. i want to know SUCCESS stories, before and after stories, i dont want negative stories. I understand there are probably some out there but that isnt what i am after, i want to know what WATKINS did to better some people horses

18. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

I didnt hear about Watkins through stockyard :) Only decided to do some research on here about them after i chose them

19. Horseagilitywa

There is always good and bad to every trainer. Noone ever agrees %100

I was told of people that Watkins didn't work out for, just as I was told about Saltriver and a few other trainers. I went and met trainers, watched trainers and I liked the fact that one of my family members could watch any training session. I had done alot with my girl and I didn't want that buggered up;)

It also depends on the work you yourself put into your horse.... how much you are willing to pay and what you want at the end and if you are putting the same work in.

A green horse MUST be worked. I have had people have horses come home and expect them to be school masters...

20. Jonsie

Jonsie Well-known Member

Is this because YOU are a trainer JBear?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.