Your Views

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by BellaSkip, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

Just reading on the net about how to correctly fit a bridle.

Now ive always been taught two wrinkles, two fingers and hand. What i was just reading says almost a wrinkle two fingers, two fingers and a hand.

Being bit, noseband, browband and throatlash.

What are your thoughts?

2. Anna E

Anna E Guest

One and a half wrinkles for the bit, 2 fingers for the noseband and browband, and a whole hand for the throatlatch. I'll often drop the bit lower for horses that like to carry it themselves, and I'm not going to worry if the noseband or browband are a bit looser than that.

3. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

I'm the same except four fingers for the throat lash. Also I usually to 2 fingers for the noseback except on my boy because if it's loose then it rubs out his hair.

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

Two fingers under headpiece of bridle, two fingers on noseband, four fingers for throatlash.

5. painter

painter Well-known Member

I was taught two wrinkles for the bit and a hand/fist for the throatlatch...the noseband loose (2 fingers) if its just for show like a cavesson, otherwise tighter to do the job it is meant to (hanoveran/grackle/drop).

Having said that, I have adjusted bit position higher or lower according to how comfortable the individual horse is (and sometimes the type of bit can make a difference for some horses)...so I use the fingers/hands sizing as a starting point and then adjust individually to the horse if needed.

6. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

I was taught 3 fingers for the bit, 2 wrinkles sounds rather tight...
    Even if the bit is too loose/low, the horse will hold it up behind his teeth by himself, the bridle isn't the only thing holding it there (does that make sense?). So there's no need to crank it up really high.