Your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by KLP, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Sportsmans Image

Sportsmans Image Active Member

is she this moody on the ground? have you tried those herbs and stuff that are meant to calm them down?

2. KLP

KLP Guest

Yep shes moody on the ground, except for when she's eating.
    Flat ears as she's being led,fed,ridden.I could try moody mare.
    I mean she is good most of the time to do groundwork with, but hmm.

3. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

She sounds like she has gone sour to me. Can you try spelling her for a few months then bring her back into work slowly and see if her attitude changes??

Some horses are just not happy doing anything more than plodding around the bush, nothing wrong with that-you just have to find someone for her that is happy just having quiet walks in the bush. (if she is quiet doing this)

4. KLP

KLP Guest

Maybe I should, I could put her out to spell, i just need to find a place to spell her.

5. KLP

KLP Guest

Does anyone know where you can get moody mare from?
    (the herb stuff) lol.

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

spelling - put a wanted ad up on ******* i have awesome spelling agistment & got loads of replies from doing that.

moodiness- try CLM + from rosecottageherbs.com - i used it successfully with my horse.

bowen - Give Laura Bird a call. when she's out, have a chat about her issues. Laura is just *incredible* and helped me so much. a few sessions may not be enough. i had regular bowen on my horse for 8 months or so & it helped tremendously.

riding - get a riding instructor. i had a MINT groundwork instructor for my "difficult" thoroughbred, but after a while i was ready to start riding again. He was still a pain in the bum & i seriously contemplated selling him (several times). and, like you, was concerned i wouldn't get even half the money i put into him so wouldn't be able to buy a replacement horse. realised the horse would need to be in WORK in order to be sold so i started riding 5-7 times a week & boy o boy, what a change. oh, and i've been riding for 27 years & went thru pony club & did eventing so it was quite humbling to have to ask for help, but i have absolutely no regrets - my instructor is absolutely AWESOME and the proof is in the pudding - i was confident enough to plonk a 15yo kid on him the other week & knew he would show her what it's like to ride a nicely schooled horse!

i also bought myself a $500 'pony' off a friend who has turned out to be the best thing EVER for me and my confidence. i was able to go riding out in the bush bareback with a halter again. was just like being a teenager! fantastic. kept the cheap pony in a cheap paddock & only saw him a couple of times a week, but it was great. he ended up colicking tho so has cost me QUITE A LOT more than what i paid for him. i've since moved him to my agistment (so both my boys are together) and have part leased him out to a lovely teenager to help cover costs.

so perhaps find someone with a quiet horse around for you to have a little ride on a couple of times a week. this will help your confidence & frustration a LOT! check on both stockies and the other website to see if there are any free or part leases or someone wanting a rider. there were loads last time i checked.

just know tho that i feel your pain - i've been there & it's a very long & exhausting journey. i've had my boy for 3.5 years & things are *just* starting to come together now. a lot of patience & time has helped.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Try it and see what happens.. Advertise her and if the right person comes along, great! If not, then the decision is made for you - then you either persevere or make a more - ahem - permanent decision for her.
    A friend of mine has recently rehomed an unrideable TB - great on the ground, bucks like a loon as soon as you get on his back. She advertised him as a project or a companion horse and someone has taken him on - I honestly never thought she would be able to rehome him, but the right person was out there for him.
    Get a qualified person (Jayne maybe?) to make a realistic honest assessment of what or who she is suitable for, and advertise her as exactly that. Be honest and up front.
    Personally I'd get a vet to check her ovaries first to make sure she's not cystic, as that can make mares HORRIBLE - and cause pain.

8. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

It's sad when you feel like you have to hide for people not to judge you.

I feel for you because i know exactly how you feel. I went through (and still not quite solved) exactly the same thing with my boy. Changed agistment and all of a sudden, bang! He completely flipped.
    6 years later, i'm still perseveering, and a lot has changed. With me though, i won't sell my boy because he will be with me till he day dies. So i have no choice by to try, because i can't afford 2 horses.
    My boy is a lot better, but i haven't ridden, truely ridden in...i dunno, over 2 years, maybe 2.5.
    I also started lessons with Jayne. She really helped. How long have you been having lessons with her?
    Jayne will get you riding when the time is right. But groundwork and building a relasionship is first and foremost.

Last year also, i put my horse out on spell. I was told i was putting too much pressue on both him and me to ride again. And it was true. I was. He went out and got some much-needed lessons on how to be a horse and play and run.
    He was never nasty (wouldn't hurt i fly), but he came back even more submissive respectful of me.
    I got on him for the first time about a month ago. First time i'd been on him since last lesson with Jayne about almost a year ago. Forgot my stirrups, but hopped on anyway. I felt confidant enough to do that. Couple weeks later, i hopped on again. And i wasn't scared when he looked at something. He was perfectly fine.

You sound like you want to do the best by your mare. I really commend you on you that. But you really don't want to keep spending all your money on a horse that you don't connect with, and don't want. So putting her out on spell would be my choice at this stage. It's the cheapest option, and will give you both a break. In the time she's out, maybe get some lessons at a riding school, or lease a schoolmaster and have some fun, and get back some confidance.
    When she comes back, no pressure. Just take it easy. If you decide she's not the horse for you, then give her away as a companion. I wouldn't advertise her as a project horse as you never know where she'll end up.

Best of luck :)

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

First of all I give you a massive pat on the back that you are recognising these are problems, and you are mature enough to swallow any pride and ask for advice. Good on you :)* that in itself is helping your mare.

the fact she is giving you cr@p on the ground may mean there is something deeper going on. I have suggested this to alot of people (and will again) give Dr Bruce Ferguson at Murdoch a call. It might be a hormonal thing, could even be ulcers that or it could be something else. will just cost you a float trip up to Murdoch, and his consult fee (which is not that high at all!). And you can pretty much guarantee that he will find something! at the end of the day how many horses are 100% without any troubles (just like people!)

What does Jayne think of her progress? how often is Jayne coming out?
    It does sound like she has improved.
    Have you gotten a second opinion from an instructor?

What is her environment like? Paddock, company etc. What is she fed?

I can see why you are so frustrated, you want to just get on a horse and get on with it, which is fine.

I was ready to give up on my baby horse last year, she was AWFUL. her nature on the ground was horrid, and some of the stuff she did or tried would have made some owners put a bullet in her head. I perservered, took her to Bruce and she is a shadow of her former self. She's actually a very sweet little horse now. I am so glad I didn't give up!

Maybe toss her out to spell, have a break from her and re-assess. In the meantime can you get lessons on a different horse?

If you give up, that's your choice and no-one has the right to make you feel bad about it.

Give her a chance though - she might make you a better horseman!

10. coffee lover

coffee lover New Member

Have you had another experienced rider hop on and ride her. If so does she display the same behaviour. I would be trying to figure out if it is your riding or the horse, and at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with passing a horse along because it is too much for you. All the groundwork in the world is not going to make any difference if your riding is the problem.