Your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by KLP, Apr 23, 2010.

1. KLP

KLP Guest

Ok, I was going to make a different account to post this so certain people don't judge me, but i'm just going to be completely honest, and ask for honest opinions. Here goes.

I have a 11 year old standardbred mare, she was my second horse, instructor/agistment owner recommended her as a pleasure horse, told me we could train her; never happened, as instructor had other personal issues to sort out.

Moved to another agistment and as soon as we got there, things pretty much went downhill (ie. rearing, being a pig etc.) She ended up having a number of issues, (back,teeth,saddle fit,bridle,feed etc.) fixed that all up, but was still nervous to even trot on her. I eventually got more and more confident on her, but I still had so much trouble riding her,teenager + Confused OTTSTB = NOT a good mix.

Anyway, we started getting lessons with jayne lavender, both of our groundwork became very good,and things were looking up. But our riding is still crap. jayne has helped us tremendously, but I don't know whether it is worth persevering.

I miss all the fun things, like trotting and cantering and jumping without having to constantly be on my game and stressed out and wondering WHY my horse is pigrooting, WHY my horse is throwing her head and rearing..

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
  2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

horse riding is ment to be FUN
    if you are not happy or enjoying yourself then theres no point.

there are plenty of horses out there that you will enjoy riding.
    maybe look into getting another horse

3. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I think you've done everything possible for this horse. there'll always be people who judge harshly, but as far as I'm concerned, they haven't walked in your shoes. you're a teen and deserve to hae fun with your horse.it doesn't mean you love her any less, just that she doesn't suit your needs any more.

4. KLP

KLP Guest

I would get another horse if I could, but i'm not sure if I would be able to sell her..

5. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

I she your first horse? and you sound like a teenager (forgive me if im wrong) . Its ok for us who have been there and done that to tell you what to do but i remember my first horse, i thought i would own her forever, BUT there was a point in time where i knew it was time for me to move onto another horse.
    As hard as it seems to think about it, you know in your heart what you want to do and obviously you cant see yourself doing that with your current horse, so i think maybe that you have already answered your own question!!!!
    I would find a suitable horse and have fun and follow your dreams of what you want to do. :D
    Goodluck

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i understand completly i will never sell my girl.
    could you lease him out? or if hes older retire him?

7. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

its hard, i;ve gone thru the stage also with chippy years back, he was a pig to ride, and i ended up aching from the effort to control him ever time i rode... our ground stuff was marvolous ( also had lots of lessons with jayne ) but i just hated the arguements ( and pigroots and shying ) every ride... i contemplated selling him ansd even advertised him for lease!
    i perservered and now it has all clicked and i am really proud of him and myself.
    do u love her and can imagine life without her? if you dont feel u have bonded and you can afford to get something decent ( cause no point getting a cheap problem horse - better the devil u know n all! ) then mayb find your girl a home and get something you can do what you want with...
    as a wize man used to say to me - its costs just as much to feed a good horse as a bad one...
    good luck!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. KLP

KLP Guest

OBHH-thankyou for your post, yes i am 14.

CWAC-she's 11, but who would want to lease her, she is practically unrideable and who would want to train her, just to give her back again?

9. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

I agree with others Horse Riding should be something you enjoy and chilled out lol
    Maybe this Horse just wants to be someones plodder and isnt so happy having to learn different things :(
    Some horses Love to work and do different things but also there are alot that are lets say Set in there ways and are not going to do what you ask without a fight :(
    Like you say you have had all checked and things where fine
    So nothing i can really suggest unless try looking at what you are feeding :confused: not really sure what to say But you will know what you need to do As you are the one having to fight all the time with her :(
    Wish you all the luck

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Have you thought about sending her to Watkins? Fairly sure they deal in STB re-education? Where you ride her at the moment won't be helping the situation either, the boggy sand and small area, it would be hard for her to balance etc which could be why shes started this since moving there :) If you ride her somewhere else thats flat and open what is she like then?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
  11. KLP

KLP Guest

Yeah i have thought about that tara, but i'm not going to.

12. KLP

KLP Guest

anyone else have any thoughts?

13. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Have you ruled out all the usual suspects? Pain, teeth, saddle fit etc etc etc.... what exactly do you do/want to do with her and what exactly does she do and when does she do it?

14. KLP

KLP Guest

Don't you worry pockets, we have had saddle fitted, she gets her worming and feet done the usual time, every 6-8 weeks. she has had her teeth done. She has had bowen done etc. Well for starters, if i ask her to trot, she has a big whinge, throws her self about does some tiny rears,pigroots on the occasion. when im leading her her nose is always tight and angry, ears flat. she is a chore now, not fun.

15. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Honey, I think you know what you want to do, and dont feel like you need anyones 'permision' to do it. If your struggling to cope with her, and you've already made a fair effort to get her sorted, then try to find her a home as a pet or companion horse and get some help to find yourself a suitable horse.

Not sure what your fianancial resorces are, but please dont go and buy another horse with the same lack of training. Beg, borrow and save to get yourself a suitable horse and start having fun!:)*

I dont mean to sound uncaring towards this other horse, but your just a young teen wanting to have fun on your horse, and it certainly shouldn't be this hard.

Best of luck with your decision.;)

16. KLP

KLP Guest

Thankyou so much for that comment Deb2. Has helped alot.

Would still love more opinions everyone :)

17. samm

samm Gold Member

KLP ,if it's not fun anymore then you have your answer.You don't need anyone to tell you honey.
    I'm 4 -5 times your age and I've just recently got a horse to have "fun" on.Get something you can saddle up and go for a ride on without the headaches of educating a horse.

18. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

personaly i dont think its a case of standardbred education, but purely that this horse isnt a good one for you - regardless of her breed. advertise her honestly for free or next to free, and see what happens. look for something quieter and ready to go.

when we started looking we were given a standy fromthe guy next door - his fav of his herd. well, we got her home, put her in the yard took of the rope and then couldnt get near her again. she even went up on her hind legs and chased us across the yard.
    we tried for a week before given in and trapping her in a corner, putting a rope on her and taking her back.
    next standy we looked at just stood around sleeping and waiting to be told what to do next.

i see kids at pony club struggling with thier horses, and i feel so bad for them, cos they arent having fun if they are constantly scared thier horse is going to bolt.

find yourself something more fun, youve done more than enough for this one. (hug)

19. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Funny you say that samm-last night I was thinking the exact same thing! Something with a bit of education that can pop over a few little(lol VERY little jumps!!) that I can have some fun on!! As much as I love Buffy she is hard work!!
    Sounds like you've done what you can for this horse KLP so if its time to call it quits theres no shame in that.....

20. Sportsmans Image

Sportsmans Image Active Member

what if you advertise for a rider who enjoys training these types of horses-payed or free- and if you see a diference keep them and work with them and if you dont find another option. sort of like a part lease